• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline Routemaster

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850GS TE
    • Town / City: Norwich
    Brakes
    on: Jan 16, 2024, 04.24 pm
    Jan 16, 2024, 04.24 pm
    People don't seem impressed by the brakes. I also found them a bit weedy on my 850, having previously had a couple of 1200s (GS and RT), so I put on my best anorak and looked for hard data. And lo! There's a brilliant 2019 comparison by the Michigan Police Dept, bikes (and cars) put through their paces in a v serious study. Of the bikes, stopping distance 60-0mph (average, in feet) was: RT1250 130.7, 750GS 131.5, 850GS 134.4, Harleys 137/138 (different types) and FJR1300 143.3. So, despite the 2-piston calipers, the 750 and 850 actually do reasonably well among this group. If anyone wants the report, Google will find it - Michigan State Police Vehicle Evaluation 2019. I couldn't anything more recent, but others might.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    398

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Re: Brakes
    Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06.46 pm
    Jan 16, 2024, 06.46 pm
     :762:

Thanks for posting.  TBH I've never found the brakes lacking...

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    615

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: F750GS
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08.16 pm
    Jan 16, 2024, 08.16 pm
    I think itís the feel rather than the actual stopping power. They donít tend to feel very strong, possibly because theyíre 2-piston sliding callipers rather than the 4-piston radial callipers that appear on some of the competition, so theyíre less grabby and have a weaker initial bite. However, way back in 2008 I donít remember my F650GS twinís single calliper had any problems bringing the bike to a halt promptly, and there are some that said adding a disc when the F700GS came out just added weight. The 750 and 850 are a fair bit heavier than the 650 but the twin front discs are more than capable of stopping the bike quickly. On the couple of occasions I had to do an emergency stop on my previous 750 I must admit I didnít think I was going to stop in time  :008:

• Online Adv_Newb   us

• GS Member  ‐    93

Online Adv_Newb

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2023 BMW F850GS
    • Town / City: Washington DC area
    Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10.37 pm
    Jan 16, 2024, 10.37 pm
    As someone who was road racing while the radial mounts came into vogue, I think the view of things like this on the street is overblown.  We did fine even in the extremes before these, and yes they can assist when dealing with those limits of traction and saving a few feet when braking that hard over and over and over again.  The brakes on these bikes are way more limited by the suspension (even upgraded) than just the pure power of the braking system.  And the feel from the flex is something sensed when again continuously riding at those limits - not some one-off emergency braking event.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    398

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10.49 pm
    Jan 16, 2024, 10.49 pm
    *Originally Posted by Adv_Newb [+]
    As someone who was road racing while the radial mounts came into vogue, I think the view of things like this on the street is overblown.  We did fine even in the extremes before these, and yes they can assist when dealing with those limits of traction and saving a few feet when braking that hard over and over and over again.  The brakes on these bikes are way more limited by the suspension (even upgraded) than just the pure power of the braking system.  And the feel from the flex is something sensed when again continuously riding at those limits - not some one-off emergency braking event.

:762:

• Offline Routemaster   gb

• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline Routemaster

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850GS TE
    • Town / City: Norwich
    Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11.34 pm
    Jan 16, 2024, 11.34 pm
    Good point. I'm delighted with the bike. Perfect for the conditions around here! :001:

• Offline SacSteve   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    2

Offline SacSteve

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: 2023 BMW F750 GS
    • Town / City: Redding, Ca
    Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2024, 05.28 pm
    Feb 10, 2024, 05.28 pm
    I find the rear brakes on my '23 are quite spongy. I want to replace them but don't want to bother removing the rear wheel. Can I do a pad swap without removing the wheel? This was possible on my old KTM so I thought I'd check.   Thanks!  --Steve

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    398

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2024, 04.04 pm
    Feb 11, 2024, 04.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by SacSteve [+]
    I find the rear brakes on my '23 are quite spongy. I want to replace them but don't want to bother removing the rear wheel. Can I do a pad swap without removing the wheel? This was possible on my old KTM so I thought I'd check.   Thanks!  --Steve

Are you sure the issue is the pads?  Mine is always spot on just after it's been serviced (new fluid, no air).  Usually lasts a few hundred miles at best, then back to normal.  I doubt it would be improved by better pads...

• Offline MIKE R   gb

• GS Member  ‐    66

Offline MIKE R

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Burnley
    Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2024, 11.28 pm
    Feb 12, 2024, 11.28 pm
    I too thought the brakes on my 850 were poor

Then one day a car pulled out on me requiring me to simply slam on the brakes and hope for the best

I was amazed how quickly the bike stopped.....and under control to!

Mike