Author F 900 GS Reveal Later Today  (Read 6069 times)

EThor, Rudolph Hart, TurdFerguson, GSMartin and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    398

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Re: F 900 GS Reveal Later Today
    Reply #30 on: Sep 15, 2023, 08.16 pm
    Sep 15, 2023, 08.16 pm
    *Originally Posted by MikeOC [+]
    Hello Matt, having owned and "greatly" enjoyed an S1000XR, I agree with your comparison. However, I also enjoyed my previous F-750GS in a different way because it provided (if you will - "for me anyway") a rawer, more organic/ less refined, but still very enjoyable and laid-back riding experience compared to the much more sophisticated S1000XR, which "I" always found wanted to be ridden fast, compared to the more kicked-back, let's take in the scenery/ smell the roses F-750GS.

For those, who've never ridden an S1000XR or GS1250 you owe it to yourself to experience wonderfully made & refined machines and see if they tickle your fancy?!?

I completely agree with the sentiment here Mike.

I might take issue with the “wonderfully made” point though. In my more recent experience, if “wonderfully made” is what you’re after, head to a Ducati dealership.

It’s 10 years or more since BMW built a bike to match the build quality of my V4S Multistrada…

• Offline MikeOC   us

• GS Pro  ‐    135

Offline MikeOC

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
    • Town / City: Spokane, WA
    Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2023, 06.05 am
    Sep 22, 2023, 06.05 am
    I might take issue with the “wonderfully made” point though. In my more recent experience, if “wonderfully made” is what you’re after, head to a Ducati dealership. It’s 10 years or more since BMW built a bike to match the build quality of my V4S Multistrada…
    [/quote]

Well, you might be right?!? However, they come with their issues, see the recent review from "Big Rock Moto" on the V4S. IMO, "most all" motorcycles today are wonderfully made, with $20K+ Motorcycles typically being more wonderfully made, and with each Mfg. having its own set of strengths & weaknesses.

Last Edit: Sep 22, 2023, 06.13 am by MikeOC

• Offline Ewbs   gb

• GS Member  ‐    12

Offline Ewbs

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2023, 01.49 pm
    Nov 24, 2023, 01.49 pm
    I've actually grown to like the looks of the F900GS and thinking of getting one to replace my 850GS, the biggest drawback I do see is that you need mounting hardware to have panniers so a bit of scaffolding to ruin the clean rear of the bike. The €20k starting price in Finland is also a very large pill to swallow where I'll ultimately want to own the bike.

• Online Adv_Newb   us

• GS Member  ‐    93

Online Adv_Newb

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2023 BMW F850GS
    • Town / City: Washington DC area
    Reply #33 on: Nov 25, 2023, 05.11 pm
    Nov 25, 2023, 05.11 pm
    This is always a personal decision with different factors and realities for different people. 

My question would be, is it just the looks that are driving you? 

- I'm not seeing a huge upgrade on the new GS.  Front suspension might be one, but you can have that fixed for less than buying the new one. 

- A few extra hp doesn't really gain much (I mean, how often are we running these bikes at top RPM with wide open throttle?  That's where the "limit" of power is.  If you aren't there all the time, you aren't at the limit). 

- And I agree with you - I'm a huge fan of the vario mounts given that you don't end up with scaffolding when the side bags are off. 

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    398

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2023, 05.36 pm
    Nov 25, 2023, 05.36 pm
    I also like the neatness of the vario mounts and boxes. Not much good for dual sport though. Varios disintegrate when you drop a bike on them  :138:

• Offline Ash188   my

• GS Newbie  ‐    1

Offline Ash188

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: Johor
    Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2024, 09.34 am
    Feb 05, 2024, 09.34 am
    *Originally Posted by jequ [+]
    I'm considering (for real) to upgrade my 2019 F 850 GS to the 2024 F 900 GSA.

My 850 has 30 500 km on it right now and the 30 000 km service still needs to be done. That would cost somewhere around 650€ to have it done.

Went to the store yesterday asking for information on the upcoming bikes since BMW Motorrads finnish website still says "Model not found" when trying to click the configurator.

My first concern was the lately increased prices and how deep into my pockets would I have to reach.
    Recommended starting price for the GSA here was 20 500€ (tax incl). With most of the options selected the total ended up a bit above 24k€.
    The initial offer they made was to take care of the 850's next service costs + 12k€ for the bike.

So to sum up I would have to pay somewhere around 11-12k€ for the upgrade to the F 900 GSA.
    This did not sound that good at first I thought. Then they slapped a cherry on top of the cake. 0% rate of interest financing deal.  :005:

Considering that I bought the 850 in early 2020 and paid somewhere around ~17k€ for it then. I am now 4 summers and 30 000 km later getting offered around 12k€ for it in exchange and good financing deal.

What are your thoughts?  :261:

- jequ
    go for it bro :047:

• Offline OldRoadie   us

• GS Member  ‐    59

Offline OldRoadie

• GS Member
    • Town / City: North Andover
    Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2024, 10.02 pm
    Feb 06, 2024, 10.02 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
    It does exist - just use the clutch  :152:

Well actually, no.
    I like to do clutchless upshifts; load the shift lever, then quickly chop the throttle (a QS does the same thing by interrupting the ignition).
    You can't do that on a QS equipped bike because the bike does it, and except on the best bikes, not as well as a human could.

I agree that the f850 upshifts are pretty bad in the lower gears and even in higher gears only work really well when ringing it out, but I use it for downshifts nearly all the time and find it to work extremely well.

• Online Adv_Newb   us

• GS Member  ‐    93

Online Adv_Newb

• GS Member
    Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2024, 01.27 am
    Feb 07, 2024, 01.27 am
    *Originally Posted by OldRoadie [+]
    Well actually, no.
    I like to do clutchless upshifts; load the shift lever, then quickly chop the throttle (a QS does the same thing by interrupting the ignition).
    You can't do that on a QS equipped bike because the bike does it, and except on the best bikes, not as well as a human could.

I agree that the f850 upshifts are pretty bad in the lower gears and even in higher gears only work really well when ringing it out, but I use it for downshifts nearly all the time and find it to work extremely well.

I strongly disagree with a human doing it better. When I was racing, no way manually manipulating the throttle could match a quick shifter.  (I raced with and without a quick shifter) That said, in my opinion, anything other than full throttle shifting and saving fractions of seconds - as well as not upsetting the chassis when accelerating that hard at near full lean - is just laziness or being “cool”. I do it occasionally when rolling down the road with one hand and not wanting to go through the rigmarole of bringing my hand back just for one shift. Admittedly, lazy.
    Last Edit: Feb 07, 2024, 01.29 am by Adv_Newb

• Offline OldRoadie   us

• GS Member  ‐    59

Offline OldRoadie

• GS Member
    • Town / City: North Andover
    Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2024, 06.39 pm
    Feb 07, 2024, 06.39 pm
    *Originally Posted by Adv_Newb [+]
    I strongly disagree with a human doing it better. When I was racing, no way manually manipulating the throttle could match a quick shifter.  (I raced with and without a quick shifter) That said, in my opinion, anything other than full throttle shifting and saving fractions of seconds - as well as not upsetting the chassis when accelerating that hard at near full lean - is just laziness or being “cool”. I do it occasionally when rolling down the road with one hand and not wanting to go through the rigmarole of bringing my hand back just for one shift. Admittedly, lazy.

You and I are talking about different scenarios. I agree that the QS works great at high revs especially in the higher gears. But on the GS, I'm rarely shifting under those conditions and where I'm usually shifting, this bike makes very clunky shifts. Clutchless upshifts on my Monster also worked better in higher gears at higher revs, but I was able to make smooth shifts anywhere except 1-2 where the F850GS does not.

In principle (and in practice with other motorcycles), the machine can do better than a human, but the execution isn't there on this bike. That was my point.

• Online Adv_Newb   us

• GS Member  ‐    93

Online Adv_Newb

• GS Member
    Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2024, 12.43 am
    Feb 08, 2024, 12.43 am
    *Originally Posted by OldRoadie [+]
    You and I are talking about different scenarios. I agree that the QS works great at high revs especially in the higher gears. But on the GS, I'm rarely shifting under those conditions and where I'm usually shifting, this bike makes very clunky shifts. Clutchless upshifts on my Monster also worked better in higher gears at higher revs, but I was able to make smooth shifts anywhere except 1-2 where the F850GS does not.

In principle (and in practice with other motorcycles), the machine can do better than a human, but the execution isn't there on this bike. That was my point.

:028: