Author VMX Racing / KKERacing wire spoked wheels for the F750GS  (Read 3636 times)

• Offline talh   us

• GS Pro  ‐    143

Offline talh

• GS Pro
    • Tal
    • Bike: F750GS
    • Town / City: San Jose, CA
    VMX Racing / KKERacing wire spoked wheels for the F750GS
    on: Dec 08, 2020, 05.42 am
    Dec 08, 2020, 05.42 am
    https://www.kkeracing.com/products/vmx-racing-tubeless-wheels-rims-set-for-bmw-f750gs-2019-2020-black-hubs-gold-rims

The reason I bought these wheels in the first place was because I bent my rear rim and cracked and bent my front by hitting potholes on my way to an offroad site. To emphasize, this happened on (horribly) paved asphalt - didn't even get to the dirt yet. The front's bead was displaced, air was gone in a second and I was stranded there for 10 hours (no cell reception, middle of nowhere). My buddy had to ride 2 hours just to try and get a tow, but no one would come - so ended up hiding the bike in the middle of a field and pillioning home, coming back down there the next day with the truck and dolly to retrieve the bike.
    So. Looked around the interwebs for a better solution (i.e. wheels that can take what a GS is supposed to be able to take), and found a chiense company called KKE racing who sells a variant of the well-known VMX Racing wheels specifically for the F750GS, with wire spokes instead of cast ones. Ordered online ($1,550) and recieved them quickly.
    Build quality seemed very solid, all parts were included minus brake discs and sprocket - I had to transfer those over. Took off the broken wheels, and drove both sets to a tire shop so they can switch over the tires for me. They had some trouble seating the bead on the VMX tires, which to me indicates very high tolerances on the bid rim (that's a good thing). The eventually managed to seat and inflate, and I brought the new set home. Concern: There is a directional arrow on the wheel which is contrary to the actual forward direction. Guy at the tire shop said he didn't think it's an issue.
    Mounting the new wheels was quite difficult. Again, I found tolerances to be very high and it was difficult to mount the rear while putting the caliper back in place. Don't take my word for it, since it is the first time I replace wheels on a motorcycle, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Mounting the front turned out to be impossible when I tried to use all the hardware VMX provided. I'm 99.9% positive they included an extra bearing, which would prevent the front axle from going in all the way. I measured with calipers and eventually decided that the axle itself is acting as a bearing (it has a "fat" part) and left that extra bearing out. Took the bike for a short, slow ride - everything seemed fine.
    Yesterday I went back to the same place where I broke the original wheels (cause I wanted to show that place whos' boss). During a 12 hours ride I went on highways (80-100MPH), rural roads, the (horribly) paved road with potholes, and then a somewhat (IMHO) agressive 6 mile dirt track. The bike handled very well and I didn't notive any damage on the wheels despite multiple instances of the suspension bottoming-out and something hitting the ground hard (I think it was the rims). Had a couple of crashes, too.
    So. Overall and bottom line - based on my very limited experience and extremely limited knowledge (I started adventure and dirt riding only 5 months ago), I think these wheels are a good, finanically-sound replacement to the stock cast wheels. Happy to answer any questions!

Last Edit: Dec 08, 2020, 10.38 am by admin

• Offline B0M0A0K   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    295

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
    • I have moved on from the world of BMW
    • Bike: Honda
    • Town / City: Tomsk
    Re: VMX Racing / KKERacing wire spoked wheels for the F750GS
    Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08.23 am
    Dec 08, 2020, 08.23 am
    Wow, I like these, it's something I wish had been available as an option on the bike from the factory. Never understood why our 850 brethren should have all the "bling" :028:
    Last Edit: Dec 08, 2020, 08.26 am by B0M0A0K

• Online doebag   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    147

Online doebag

• GS Pro
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: Spalding
    Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2020, 09.55 am
    Dec 08, 2020, 09.55 am
    *Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
    Wow, I like these, it's something I wish had been available as an option on the bike from the factory. Never understood why our 850 brethren should have all the "bling" :028:

I don't think it is bling,the 850 and 850Adv are more off road orientated, and spoke wheels are stronger and should be easier to repair.

• Offline B0M0A0K   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    295

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
    • I have moved on from the world of BMW
    • Bike: Honda
    • Town / City: Tomsk
    Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2020, 12.03 pm
    Dec 08, 2020, 12.03 pm
    *Originally Posted by doebag [+]
    I don't think it is bling,the 850 and 850Adv are more off road orientated, and spoke wheels are stronger and should be easier to repair.

I'll accept what you are saying about the structural advantages and the purpose they are intended for. But they are still nicer looking than the solid wheels on my 750  :164:

• Offline Dday7   us

• GS Member  ‐    11

Offline Dday7

• GS Member
    • Bike: '19 BMW F750 GS
    • Town / City: Ketchum, Idaho
    Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2021, 08.52 am
    Jun 12, 2021, 08.52 am
    Howdy Tal,
    Eric here from Idaho, you helped me out w my rear brake switch that I lost in the mud way back when.
    It was an easy fix once I had the new part (I couldn't fashion a new metal tab as I'd hoped).
    In any case, to the topic:
    How do you like the VMX wheels now? Any issues? Have there been an alternatives to come out since you originally posted about spoked wheels / spoked rims for the BMW F750GS?
    I ask because I bent my front wheel a few months back and tried to straighten it by levering the bends back with an adjustable wrench and beating on it w a 2x4 and 3lb mallet. Anyway, it rides but it doesn't hold air well. Have considered throwing some slime in but am afraid it'll mess with the TPS.
    In any case, my buddies that ride bigger bikes, 850s and 1200s, all swear by the strength of the spoked rim vs the cast aluminum. Hoping to save up and buy a set but not there yet. All feedback or other possible spoked options are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Eric

• Offline Dday7   us

• GS Member  ‐    11

Offline Dday7

• GS Member
    • Bike: '19 BMW F750 GS
    • Town / City: Ketchum, Idaho
    Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2021, 08.57 am
    Jun 12, 2021, 08.57 am

better