BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: When to replace my crash helmet and the flippin' 5 year rule!  (Read 640 times)

Offline nojslokin

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Pewsey
When to replace my crash helmet and the flippin' 5 year rule!
« on: December 05, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
I've done a lot of googling on this one and keep seeing the predictable '5 year rule' but, what if your helmet is over 5 years old and has hardly been used?  I bought a new HJC full-face in 2014 and only did around 500 miles with it, before I sold my bike.  I've just bought a new bike after 5 years off the road, so dug out my HJC. It is, as you would expect, in perfect condition and looks new to be honest. It's never been dropped or been exposed to any chemicals....and all the other stuff they tell you to be aware of.  So it's certainly not had 5 years of use, probably about 20 hours of use in total...and has been stored in its box, in a cupboard for the last 5 years.

So, it pains me to have to buy a new helmet, when the HJC is so 'unused' but I do of course understand you can't put a price on safety.  Any thoughts anyone?  What would you do?

Online doebag

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Norfolk Blood Biker
Re: When to replace my crash helmet and the flippin' 5 year rule!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
I think you've answered it yourself.
Helmets dont suddenly get to be 5 years and 1 day old and fall apart.
Any deterioration is gradual over time and depends on multiple factors.
Personally I would be more than happy to wear it if it has been stored as you say. Extreme heat will affect the polystyrene inner shell, sunlight and chemicals the outer shell.
When I was commuting daily, I had a new visor each year and changed my helmet every three years.
Give it a good looking at and make your choice.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline nojslokin

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Pewsey
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »
 :028:

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:33:52 AM »
The foam that absorbs energy in event of a fall/crash begins breaking down from day one. More if exposed to heat, chemicals in the garage (fuel vapors, etc.) that is why manufactures suggest replacement every 5 years and racing organizations will not allow you to compete in a helmet that is 5 years or older.

I look at it this way... I buy a $700 helmet and the manufacturer says "Replace after 5 Years" for $150 a year it is good advice and insurance to replace the helmet. Goes back to the old saying... If you have a $50 head buy a $50 helmet.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline LFC09

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 04:20:35 AM »
Definitely cheap ‘insurance’

Offline talh

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
The foam that absorbs energy in event of a fall/crash begins breaking down from day one. More if exposed to heat, chemicals in the garage (fuel vapors, etc.) that is why manufactures suggest replacement every 5 years and racing organizations will not allow you to compete in a helmet that is 5 years or older.

I look at it this way... I buy a $700 helmet and the manufacturer says "Replace after 5 Years" for $150 a year it is good advice and insurance to replace the helmet. Goes back to the old saying... If you have a $50 head buy a $50 helmet.

Very well said. Helmet is the one thing I wouldn't skimp on. Buy the best helmet you can afford, and handle it per the manufacturer's instructions.