BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Why a rain cover?  (Read 564 times)

Offline Wyn

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F 750 GS
  • Town / City: Ocala
Why a rain cover?
« on: December 02, 2020, 09:32:54 PM »
I've been looking for a reasonably priced waterproof tail pack. There are plenty of them out there, but they all come with rain covers. As far as I'm concerned if it comes with a rain cover, it's not a waterproof pack.
I don't want to stop and put a rain cover over it. I just want to keep riding. Thoughts?

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: Why a rain cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »
How big does it need to be? BMW make a rail pack for the 750/850 that is waterproof and expandable but it doesn’t take much - maybe your lunch, a puncture repair kit and a disc lock, but no more. Other than that, Kriega has a good reputation and comes in many sizes.

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 12:36:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wyn [+]
I've been looking for a reasonably priced waterproof tail pack. There are plenty of them out there, but they all come with rain covers. As far as I'm concerned if it comes with a rain cover, it's not a waterproof pack.
I don't want to stop and put a rain cover over it. I just want to keep riding. Thoughts?
"Reasonably Priced" and "Waterproof" are not usually used to describe the same product...
My wife has a BMW "GS" Tail Bag on her 750 which she also had on her 650. It was close to $300 at the dealer but it is waterproof without a doubt and has been on the two bikes for over 20,000 combined miles.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »

Yes. Put the rain cover on when you start your journey and you wont need to stop.

Next problem?
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline Wyn

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »
Ah, tomcat. You've never ridden in Florida, have you.
The weather forecast will say no rain today. You hop on for a cruise, the sun is out, just a few clouds here and there. Your about five miles down the road...downpour!!! Because you're out in the boonies there is no place to stop
undercover. To pull over is to get drenched. You ride through, two miles down the road, no rain, sun is out. my Stich is pretty much waterproof. My panniers, my tank bag, etc. The tank bag was $90.00. All the waterproof tail packs
Givi and Wolfman $150.00 up to $200.00 plus. There are some waterproof ones 60 80 bucks. Crappy looking. I guess I just need to save up, or max the card.

Online doebag

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Norfolk Blood Biker
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »
I work the other way.
I've had a tail pack for ages, everything gets put in a heavy duty plastic bag [ much heavier thean a bin liner] then that goes inside the tail bag.
No waterproof cover flapping annoyingly in the breeze, and everything stays dry.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 01:06:24 PM »
Ah, tomcat. You've never ridden in Florida, have you.
The weather forecast will say no rain today. You hop on for a cruise, the sun is out, just a few clouds here and there. Your about five miles down the road...downpour!!! Because you're out in the boonies there is no place to stop
undercover. To pull over is to get drenched. You ride through, two miles down the road, no rain, sun is out. my Stich is pretty much waterproof. My panniers, my tank bag, etc. The tank bag was $90.00. All the waterproof tail packs
Givi and Wolfman $150.00 up to $200.00 plus. There are some waterproof ones 60 80 bucks. Crappy looking. I guess I just need to save up, or max the card.
I think you'll see my original post covered exactly that scenario. ALWAYS put the cover over the bag BEFORE departure, = no stopping.
Or, pay the big bucks and buy the BMW bag.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:08:30 PM by tomcat »
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline Wyn

• GS Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 12:34:08 AM »
I forgot I want to use it instead of a tank bag, just for my phone, cigs, license, etc. So it needs to be accessible without having to screw with a rain cover.