BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GS versus F750GS  (Read 640 times)

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Essex
F850GS versus F750GS
« on: December 02, 2020, 11:32:35 AM »
Hello all,

As some of you may be aware I own a 2019 F850 GS Sport but I wondering if the F750GS would be a better proposition.

My question is this, is the fork dive on the F750 as pronounced as the 850 Iím assuming not as the 850 has longer travel suspension.

My other gripes with the 850 is the wheels are a pain in the derriere to keep clean and the overall seat height on the 750 might be better.
I have both the standard and lower seat for my 850 and in the real world there is no difference.

Offline Alyron

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 F850GS
  • Town / City: South Florida
Re: F850GS versus F750GS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »
I really donít think wire wheels are any harder to keep clean than alloys. There are spray on / hose off cleaners out there to make it easy. As far as seat height- I picked up my new F850GS low suspension yesterday. There was a huge difference for me between the low seat on regular suspension and the low suspension. You can look into lowering your bike. Touratech sells the progressive springs that would solve both your issues. The bike would was sit lower once you are sitting on it and from what I have heard it helps with the front end dive also.

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
My bike has the ESA suspension so there isnít a low version and the rear canít be lowered, the front can be altered by adding a progressive spring (you anly change the right side cartridge) but thatís a £1000 plus fitting. Which is really why Iím asking the question.

Re the seats yes the lower seat is lower, but the real world it doesnít help because the seat although lower is just as wide and itís this aspect that makes it easier to get your feet down, Iíve done back to back tests with both.

So the question is do I spend more money on my bike or change it for a cheaper 750 with the sale spec  :087:

Offline Alyron

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 F850GS
  • Town / City: South Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
Just a clarification- the Touratech (made by Hyperpro) kit Iím talking about is for the progressive springs only which cost less than $400 US. They are compatible with the esa suspension. Check out hyperproís website also. But yes I understand your dilema. Personally if you like your bike other than this issue I would fix the suspension, it would  still be less expensive than trading in- too many other costs involved.

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
Some important points to remember:
Low suspension 850 has a crap rear shock - I had one and hated it. It also cannot be specíed with ESA or a centre stand and there is no aftermarket alternative. Fine if you have paddock stands or an Abba stand but parking on rough ground or patching a rear puncture is so much easier with a centre stand. I wouldnít have a chain drive bike without one.
The 750 has less suspension travel but is still pretty soft so I doubt itíll bounce around less on hard braking. You get used it fork dive over time and work around it.

The 850 has longer travel suspension, upside down front forks, spoked skinnier wheels, braided steel front brake lines and a small amount of power that mostly manifests itself above 6K revs. If you want a road bike that can do a bit of light off reading with a lower seat height and centre of gravity, that is also > £1K cheaper, pick the 750. If you want more aggressive off-road, must have that extra top end power or prefer the looks, or think the very marginal increase in braking power is worth it, get the 850.

Offline doebag

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Norfolk Blood Biker
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »
850 v 750 ? To be honest I never even considered the 750, and I don't know why. My options were 850/1250 GS or the S1000XR.

I'm not the world's best for keeping a bike clean but I'm trying my best with this 850. Re- the spoke wheels, once  I give them the 3rd degree I then wipe the rims with WD40. It seems to help with the dirt not sticking.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »
Yes I have to confess a 1200GS is also being considered, in my opinion (I had a 2008 GSA) it has the best sushi on of any bike out there.
Also the lower centre of gravity would be welcome. Iíll persevere with the 850 for now, but trying to find a solution to the screen is also becoming tiresome and expensive.

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:47:19 PM »
I know. Iíve had that quest too and havenít found a proper solution. Never had this issue with the 1200GS but I did with both 700GS and 800GS/A.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Darranna [+]
Hello all,

As some of you may be aware I own a 2019 F850 GS Sport but I wondering if the F750GS would be a better proposition.

My question is this, is the fork dive on the F750 as pronounced as the 850 Iím assuming not as the 850 has longer travel suspension.

My other gripes with the 850 is the wheels are a pain in the derriere to keep clean and the overall seat height on the 750 might be better.
I have both the standard and lower seat for my 850 and in the real world there is no difference.

Hi Darranna.
I've owned the 750GS and now have the 850GSA. Both have pluses and minuses. In my opinion the nose dive is equal on both bikes (ie, lots of it!). I found the 750 was lighter and more agile through the twisties - probably due to less bulk and smaller wheels. In addition the 750 was lower in height and lighter, so easier to manually manoeuvre and better for your feet to touch the ground. I also agree that the 750's wheels were easier to clean than the spoked 850 wheels. For me, I find the 850GSA a better touring bike due to its wider fairings, bigger tank, more grunt, added road presence, comfort seat, and far more standard equipment. But it's a top-heavy beast especially if fully fuelled and you have to stop on a camber or slope etc. Which is best? Don't know to be honest, I've enjoyed both of them for equal but different reasons. If you don't do touring or off-roading then the 750 is a great and capable choice. And it's cheaper lol...

Offline Lazy

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
Hey,
After I get the bike this next spring I am planning on installing this lowering kit from Touratech (Hypepro), it retains the ESA as well. Have you considered it?