BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: GS850 - New tyres going on  (Read 1178 times)

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
  • Bike: GS 850 2020
  • Town / City: Peterborough
GS850 - New tyres going on
« on: November 30, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »

"Some will have some, some will have none and some will get killed in the rush"

Offline krugerjq

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850GS
Re: GS850 - New tyres going on
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »
Nice.... :002: How many miles did you get on the previous set?

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »
METZELER KAROO 3 - 6,300 miles a little bit let on the front few mill but the rear was illegal   :151:

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »

Had new tyres put on - but some damage to the rear wheel - however one advantage of getting the tyres fitted at BMW is that they have a new rear wheel on order FOC  :152:

Offline krugerjq

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850GS
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »
That really sucks when something like that happens. It happened to me with my wife's car the other day. Also at BMW. They  only repaired our rim. But it looks perfect

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by krugerjq [+]
That really sucks when something like that happens. It happened to me with my wife's car the other day. Also at BMW. They  only repaired our rim. But it looks perfect

They came clean as soon as I picked the bike up - and have ordered a new one - cant ask more than that, would have hated to take it to a local tyre place and end up arguing who was going to pay for a new rear wheel - would have been a stress nightmare -  :151:

Offline RWA-Idaho

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850 GSA
  • Town / City: Sweet
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »
I love my E-07! I have been riding them for over a year on all sorts of road surfaces and they are great, except for deep-slick-mud, but than again most tires suck under those conditions.  They will be my tire of choice for both my upcoming ride from Boise to Great Falls to the BMW MOA International Rally in June and the Idaho BDR in July.  :305:
Rob Adams

Offline duncanmacster

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA Tour
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
I have just gone through a pair of Karoo 3ís on my GSA. Got about 5,000 miles, say 3,500 on tarmac and the rest dirt, some of it pretty hard and rocky. They performed  very well on the tar but only ok on the dirt. The rear is now barely legal and the front, surprisingly, is not much better.  I will not buy them again.

In two weeks I am heading for the outback of western New South Wales and there will be a fair amount of sand involved. Hopefully it remains dry, so no mud. My new tyres get fitted on Thursday. MotoZ Tractionator RallZ Adventure on the back, for their tough construction; and Bridgestone AK41 on the front because there are NO TKC80ís in Australia until late April or May.

Letís see how they go. I will be blogging at http://www.mactrax.com.au/blog---outback-nsw
Just want to ride

Offline GSArt

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Denver
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 03:32:03 AM »
I have a difference experience with Karoo 3s.  In my experience best 50/50 tire.  Iíve used them on my GSA and Africa Twin.  Excellent wet weather grip on the tarmac and excellent off-road grip even in sand. I regularly ride sections of the COBDR and Karoo have always performed very well.

Iíve also used Shinkos, TKCs, and Mitas.  While the Mitas lasted a long time. They had a 200 mile break-in and were slippery on road. The TKCs were good in the dirt but so-so on pavement.  And they didnít last long.

Karoo said didnít last long on the 1200 GSA either, about 4K and they were done.

Just my .02