BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Alternative Horn to Denali Sound Bomb Mini  (Read 1149 times)

Offline duncanmacster

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA Tour
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Alternative Horn to Denali Sound Bomb Mini
« on: November 27, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
My Sound Bomb Mini came to an unfortunate end and, while browsing a source of replacement, came across an interesting suggestion. The standard low tone horn for the 5 series car apparently fits where the meep-meep does, and uses the identical electrical plugs. I am trying to source one from a wrecking yard and will let you know how I go.
Just want to ride

Online david_r_adv

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F850GS
  • Town / City: Lake Worth, FL
Re: Alternative Horn to Denali Sound Bomb Mini
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »
I either need a new horn or need to fabricate a new mounting bracket. I have the Sound Bomb Mini and it makes direct contact with my newly-added Touratech Rallyeform skid plate.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by duncanmacster [+]
My Sound Bomb Mini came to an unfortunate end and, while browsing a source of replacement, came across an interesting suggestion. The standard low tone horn for the 5 series car apparently fits where the meep-meep does, and uses the identical electrical plugs. I am trying to source one from a wrecking yard and will let you know how I go.

Interesting! Looking forward to your update 👍🏻

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
I have done this mod now - obtained a secondhand BMW Series 5 Low Tone horn from the famous auction site for 13.00 and it arrived yesterday - I fitted it this morning and the only 'mod' I had to do was enlarge a hole in the bracket attaching it to the bike - 6mm to 8mm drill, otherwise plug and play.

The 'meep -meep' was, to my mind, quite effeminate sounding whereas the new one is louder but not offensively and a much more robust sound. I am pleased with the modification for the price I paid.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Online ohendo

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GS Red
  • Town / City: Downingtown, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 05:05:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
I have done this mod now - obtained a secondhand BMW Series 5 Low Tone horn from the famous auction site for 13.00 and it arrived yesterday - I fitted it this morning and the only 'mod' I had to do was enlarge a hole in the bracket attaching it to the bike - 6mm to 8mm drill, otherwise plug and play.

The 'meep -meep' was, to my mind, quite effeminate sounding whereas the new one is louder but not offensively and a much more robust sound. I am pleased with the modification for the price I paid.

Dave T

Very cool!  What is the BMW part number?  I searched and found: 61-33-7-342-946, but hoping you can double check me.

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by ohendo [+]
Very cool!  What is the BMW part number?  I searched and found: 61-33-7-342-946, but hoping you can double check me.

I bought mine secondhand from Ebay - I put into the search bar " BMW 5 series low tone horn" and loads came up so I just ordered one. Didn't use a part number.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
A number of years ago I purchased a set of these off fleabay - FIAMM 924648 AM80S Luxe Twin Pack Horns. I never actually got around to fitting them but when I tested that they worked (in the house), I got shouted at alot. I may see if I can use them on the 750 as a replacement to the factory moped horn  :157:   
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline talh

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 06:42:37 PM »
Just my point of view - if it comes to me using my horn, I want to be as loud and obnoxious as possible. In fact, I have the horn actuated by the EZCan, which also strobes my auxiliary lights when the horn sounds. If I could also shoot laser beams and shake the ground, I would. I want attention when I press that button.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by talh [+]
If I could also shoot laser beams and shake the ground, I would. I want attention when I press that button.

:745:  :047: Well said that Man!
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Danic

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Singapore
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by duncanmacster [+]
[/quote

Denali Mini Sound Bomb is a garbage horn... mine did not last 6 months! Couldn't survive to the first rainy season! I'm glad you guys found a better solution!