BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Now What?  (Read 986 times)

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Now What?
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:58:18 AM »
Our 2019s are paid off... the 40th anniversary color scheme is fugly as sin. What to do?
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
Re: Now What?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
I am sure a lot of people would love to have your "problems".
I did not buy my bike to increase my financial wealth (there are better investments), but to increase my wealth of fun experiences out on the road and travelling through the countryside. 
If there is no compelling reason for you to change your bikes, and you have not mentioned any, then why bother? Just keep on riding and enjoying the fun.   

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:38:11 AM »
I recently had a 40th anniversary 850GS as a loan bike. Itís even more fugly in the flesh than in photos!
The only sign of Euro5 that I could see was the extra lambda sensor connected to the exhaust - looks like one before and one after the cat. The new indicators look smart but donít seem to function any better (maybe they use less power?)

I had a terrible habit of changing bikes - I think Iíve had over 30 in the last 10 years, and most of the time I only had one bike. Of all the bikes Iíve owned the 750GS is probably the most suitable for me - fast enough, handles well, reliable, good luggage capability, very good fuel economy, looks OK (which those crankcase covers were black like the 900XR)... and most importantly worth so little used that it makes no economic sense to swap. The 2021 models offer nothing and itís likely Euro5 will make the engine feel even more strangled.

Keep Ďem  :002:

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
Not the worst of terrible habits I'm sure.
I very nearly took the change of wheels leap earlier this week.
I intended on visiting a dealership about twenty five miles away that listed a nicely spec'd Zero FR/S.
Fate stepped in though. The bike was sold on Wednesday of the week I had planned on attending on Thursday.
Such is life.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
I am sure a lot of people would love to have your "problems".
I did not buy my bike to increase my financial wealth (there are better investments), but to increase my wealth of fun experiences out on the road and travelling through the countryside. 
If there is no compelling reason for you to change your bikes, and you have not mentioned any, then why bother? Just keep on riding and enjoying the fun.

Buying a bike to increase wealth??? :008:

Unless it is vintage and you buy it for the right price or have had it for decades there is little chance of that happening... I assure you!

I have several vintage bikes and have bought/sold a few over the years but any money made on them is purely "Sweat Equity" gained by repairing or reconditioning them for the love of it. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 01:09:55 PM by SnoDrtRider »
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]

I have several vintage bikes and have bought/sold a few over the years but any money made on them is purely "Sweat Equity" gained by repairing or reconditioning them for the love of it.

Yes that's my experience
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Offline EmoryBored

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Raleigh
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 08:59:27 PM »
Ouch! I think I will have to sell my 40th livery model since it is paid off and other people think it is "fugly":/
I agree there is almost no reason to upgrade to the 2021 especially if the livery options aren't your cup of tea. I'd say continue to tweak it to fit your needs (and keep it "fresh") using the $ you "save" to buy Bitcoin and fund for adventurous trips!

Offline LFC09

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 11:08:33 PM »
Iíd like to see more individual style options for 2022 bikes. Iím 12 months away from unrestricted license so have my Sertao until then. Eagerly awaiting mid 2021 news of 2022 Ďupdatesí for 850GSA. 
I donít really like the 40th anniversary style, of course a personal opinion.
In the end will most likely have to buy the specifications I want then wrap/paint/powdercoat  for colour preference.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:10:26 PM by LFC09 »

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 10:37:24 AM »
Ok... Iíll bite :)
Crank cases should be black - there are already too many contrasting colours and surfaces on the stock bike that make the overall design disjointed - compare to, say, a Ducati 950, Triumph Tiger 900, Guzzi TT85 (not including that awful duck beak front fender), Yamaha Tracer etc - all have a much better overall design where the components fit together. Hell, even the F900XR has it. The problem with the 750/850 is the stupid faux-metal panels on the radiator shrouds, the mis-matched and abrupt changes of direction where each of the body panels meet, and the mess that is the rear swing arm and exhaust area. The whole design is just too busy without having a unified feel. Obviously emissions regs have compromised design somewhat but the collector/resonator is proper fugly. For the anniversary edition they really made no effort. A seat with a bit of yellow and just replacing the tank panels does not a special edition make! Many bikes looks better in the flesh but honestly the loan bike I had was worse in person than the photos. Compare with the previous series - the 700/800 had a much stronger overall visual feel. Donít get me wrong - I like the bikes as a package (but they really should be 15-20Kg lighter for the power and engine size), but itís kind of typical of BMWís design direction over the last 10 years, e.g. the new RT looks every bit like a Japanese tourer. Still, I donít see many 750/850s around so more exclusive than just another 1200/1250GS...

Offline EmoryBored

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Raleigh
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »
More of a nibble on the trolling;) I canít argue too much there Matty -  in terms of aesthetics. The engine cages and galvanized shrouds do throw things off a bit. The shrouds are an easy fix and I personally wonít fret the cases. I put about 40k on my 800GS and it took 10k to get over the looks (I liked the feel of it from the start). BMW have always been a function over form, but have managed to produce some visually appealing moto like the S1000RR and some flavors of the R9T.