BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Sup? Raleigh, USA  (Read 281 times)

Offline EmoryBored

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Raleigh
Sup? Raleigh, USA
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:36:19 PM »
Back on a middle weight GS after a few years off. I picked up a 2021 850 in “40 years” livery yesterday. It was a bit of a haul from the dealer to home, so I’ve got about 250 miles on it already - stretch of warm, sunny weather here.
2021 didn’t change much, but I’ve learned a few things:
1) If you have the keyless option, read up on how to open the fuel filler, lock the steering, and start the bike (if the fob battery is dead). The first one is the first bit to do before setting off for the first time.
2) If you have a Nav V/VI attached, you have to long press the Menu switch up (^) to make the left grip “wonder wheel” control the Nav.
3) If you choose the low suspension option not only do you lose the electronic rear shock (fine with the hand wheel), but you also get an all black low seat (no color matched panel). [I don’t really need/want the color panel, but the low suspension was enough for me and I would prefer the standard height seat IF anyone want to swap?] Also, there isn’t a center stand with this flavor. I might have been better off with the standard suspension and the low seat?
4) The Anakee 80:20 tires howl on the road!
5) I want heated grips or electronic cruise, and need tubeless, spokes wheels. 
6) The TFT display is outstanding and the bluetooth to phone app connectivity is handy.
7) I haven’t done one, but the oil change looks easy (thanks YouTube) just know that there is a drain plug under the drain plug!
8) Pro rides modes are now included (not sure if there is even a dongle) since the only way to control ABS is via the Pro modes. Enduro Pro is as close a you can get to off - no dedicated button.

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
Re: Sup? Raleigh, USA
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You had a nice first ride. -250 miles- but tell me, did your seat prove comfortable ?
How did you resolve the filler cap issue?

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
  • Bike: GS 850 2020
  • Town / City: Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:13:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by EmoryBored [+]

2) If you have a Nav V/VI attached, you have to long press the Menu switch up (^) to make the left grip “wonder wheel” control the Nav.

4) The Anakee 80:20 tires howl on the road!

EmoryBored - welcome  :046: and hope all is good - thanks for the tip on the sat nav Ill have to try it out - your front tire on the freeway will be noisey  :087: I wear ear plugs , just a habit I can still hear the bloody thing - I don't listen to music or wear intercom, I always think I have enough crazy drivers out there that I have to keep an eye on lol  :152: :047:
Be safe
"Some will have some, some will have none and some will get killed in the rush"

Offline EmoryBored

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Raleigh
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
I’ve had noisy tires before, but the Anakees howl as bad (or good) as any I’ve had past TKC80s.
I solved the fuel cap issue by just fiddling. I just tried it a couple of times and it popped open (key was in my pocket). Apparently there is a time period after the bike is off when the tank will open, after that, it takes two tries in quick succession;) After that, I read up on it including finding how to open the filler and start the bike if the battery in the fob is dead.
Seat was just ok comfort wise. I don’t like a lot of padding in a seat or at least not any that compresses over time. Softer isn’t always more comfortable. I really prefer a flat or “Rally” seat, but those options will be too tall. I’ll stick with the low until I am able to try the standard or something similar like Sargent.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:59:41 PM by EmoryBored »

Offline LaMorpionne

• GS Member
  • Bike: F 850 Gs, VFR 1200 F
  • Town / City: Oloron Sainte Marie
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Bienvenue :400: et merci pour tes informations
ZIGZAG