Back on a middle weight GS after a few years off. I picked up a 2021 850 in “40 years” livery yesterday. It was a bit of a haul from the dealer to home, so I’ve got about 250 miles on it already - stretch of warm, sunny weather here.
2021 didn’t change much, but I’ve learned a few things:
1) If you have the keyless option, read up on how to open the fuel filler, lock the steering, and start the bike (if the fob battery is dead). The first one is the first bit to do before setting off for the first time.
2) If you have a Nav V/VI attached, you have to long press the Menu switch up (^) to make the left grip “wonder wheel” control the Nav.
3) If you choose the low suspension option not only do you lose the electronic rear shock (fine with the hand wheel), but you also get an all black low seat (no color matched panel). [I don’t really need/want the color panel, but the low suspension was enough for me and I would prefer the standard height seat IF anyone want to swap?] Also, there isn’t a center stand with this flavor. I might have been better off with the standard suspension and the low seat?
4) The Anakee 80:20 tires howl on the road!
5) I want heated grips or electronic cruise, and need tubeless, spokes wheels.
6) The TFT display is outstanding and the bluetooth to phone app connectivity is handy.
7) I haven’t done one, but the oil change looks easy (thanks YouTube) just know that there is a drain plug under the drain plug!
8) Pro rides modes are now included (not sure if there is even a dongle) since the only way to control ABS is via the Pro modes. Enduro Pro is as close a you can get to off - no dedicated button.