BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Disconnecting the Battery - AFter Effects?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: Disconnecting the Battery - AFter Effects?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 12:53:04 PM »
If you have the Nav 6 the clock will reset itself with the clock on the Nav for reference.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline talh

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 09:43:30 PM »
Disconnected my battery (and others') quite a few times, with no adverse effects. Did not even have to reset the clock or re-pair bluetooth.

Offline knutk

• GS Member
  • Town / City: South in Norway
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
I have not tried disconnecting the F850 for a longer period, so this information might not be relevant. But on all my previous BMW bikes, disconnecting the battery is no big deal, especially if it is for only 10 - 15 min. However, if the battery was disconnected for a longer time, there are 2 things that may matter.

1: The fueling of the bike is adaptive, and the bike adjust the fueling as you drive. If you change the exhaust system, the ECU will readjust, and store the adjusted values.
The type of memory for storing these adjustments needs a bit of power to be stored. If you remove power for more than 30 mins, the adjustment values will disappear.
But this is not a big deal. Once the bike is started up again, and it will start with no issues or no harm of any kind is done to the engine. As the engine runs, it will readjust again and slowly rebuild the correction map.

2: There is a built in clock that (in addition to the one shown in the TFT. And in addition to time it also stores the date. If power is removed, the date and time is zeroed out, and needs to be reset. This was not possible through the TFT. The internal clock needed to be reset by a diagnostic computer. As for running the bike with the wrong date and time causes absolutely NO PROBLEM to the rider. But the service reminder may get screwed up and the Service reminder may come on. But this is merely a nuisance.  motoScan or GS911 will allow for this date and time reset. My mentioning about the potential not relevant might be that the TFT perhaps now resets the internal clock as well, so no Service reminder will be displayed after a long time disconnect.   

The bottom line: If someone wants to disconnect the battery, go ahead. No problem, Nothing will be damaged or ruined.  No essential software will be ruined.
The software that the dealer may have had in mind might be the adaptive map in the ECU, But this is a map that keeps correcting small values throughout the bikes lifetime. And zero out this map is temporarily, and may in worse case mean that the bike will not fully meet the emission values for a short while, until the map is rebuilt by the ECU.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 01:01:06 PM »
Yeah, I've done it a couple of times now with no ill effects. The biggest effect was DataTool calling me to see if my bike was being stolen because disconnecting the battery set off an alarm at their datacentre  :007:
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline MIKE R

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Burnley
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 07:36:09 PM »
I know it's an old thread but I'm quite new on here and have just come across it

On the 1250s with TFT if the battery is disconnected and the clock needs resetting all you have do do is ensure that the TFT is connected to the Sat Nav

If it is the Sat Nav will set the time automatically and accurately when you switch

I presume it's the same with the 850 TFT but I've not checked it

Hope this helps someone

Mike

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
One thing I find rather peculiar, with all the modern technology, is that when we (in the UK) get a BST change, the clock doesn't do it automatically for us. Very "low tech". It caught me out last time British Summer Time came in.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 08:48:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by MIKE R [+]
I know it's an old thread but I'm quite new on here and have just come across it

On the 1250s with TFT if the battery is disconnected and the clock needs resetting all you have do do is ensure that the TFT is connected to the Sat Nav

If it is the Sat Nav will set the time automatically and accurately when you switch

I presume it's the same with the 850 TFT but I've not checked it

Hope this helps someone

Mike

That is correct the TFT syncs automatically with the Nav. The time on my 850 is always correct but I need to manually set my wife's 750 because she doesn't have a Nav.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline MIKE R

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Burnley
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
One thing I find rather peculiar, with all the modern technology, is that when we (in the UK) get a BST change, the clock doesn't do it automatically for us. Very "low tech". It caught me out last time British Summer Time came in.

It would if you have a TFT and it is synched with the sat nav

Mike