BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Motorcycle Neck Braces - What's your view?  (Read 148 times)

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
Motorcycle Neck Braces - What's your view?
« on: October 17, 2020, 04:57:29 PM »
I recently watched a video from RidercamTV where they discussed the use of neck braces as a protective aid for riders.

I hadn't considered these before watching this video but had always wondered what Bret Tkacs was wearing on his various video channels. After watching the RidercamTV video and taking some time to consider the merits of this device I then came across a video from Tyler Monks where he discussed the dangers of wearing a neck brace. 

This one put a whole new (unpleasant) spin on the whole subject.

While researching this subject further I have come to believe that Mark from RidercamTV has since ditched his neck brace in favor of an inflatable vest?

So, finally, here's my question.

Does anyone else use a neck brace and what are your opinions of these things in general please?   

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:00:59 PM by B0M0A0K »
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
Re: Motorcycle Neck Braces - What's your view?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
Neck braces seem to be more common for Moto-Cross riders. I have never seen anyone wearing one on the Road.
I bought a Dainese smart vest which I can wear both over leathers or under a textile jacket by adjusting side straps. I hope I will never need to  test it.

Offline Danic

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Singapore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »
 I normally wear mine on long trips in conjunction with my under jersey protector.
Researchers claim that it reduce in 30% the chance of neck injuries ( not eliminate).
When its too hot i wear only the under jersey protector without the jacket.
The alpinestars Bionic Pro model has straps build into the under jersey protector for better attachment.
With this configuration, the rear support goes over the back protector, in a recessed area, eliminating the possibility that the neck brace protector rear support will brake your back (that's an strange argument used on the second video).
See in the pictures below:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:00:12 PM by Danic »

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
Excellent Danic, thanks for the feedback.  :028:
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------