BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GSA engine cuts when full gas  (Read 1517 times)

Offline bctz123

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: F850GSA engine cuts when full gas
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 08:24:08 PM »
Yes, very strange that it's only in 3rd gear now.

I think this can be possible because of the chain is very slack. It will adjust it and do more tests, and if it does the same, I still have 3 years warranty and I will take it to the service.

The more interesting fact is that I've rode the bike for 4000 km and only now I've noticed this problem. Until now it worked perfectly.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 01:09:36 AM »
Chain adjustment (if required) should have been done by the dealer when in for service... Be sure to check the slack correctly as these bikes due to their long suspension travel require quite a bit of slack when the suspension is unloaded. It gets checked on the side stand NOT the center stand... Be sure to check your owners manual for proper specs and procedure.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 02:50:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by bctz123 [+]

I've noticed that then I'm in 3rd gear and if go full gas, there's this moment 1-2 sec. where it revs it without accelerating, and then in picks up and accelerated. It does not go in red line or something.

Revving for 1-2 seconds with out going anywhere?  Thatís a lot of motor revolutions that arenít being transferred through to the output sprocket. Sounds like a clutch to me. 
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Offline bctz123

• GS Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
Chain adjustment (if required) should have been done by the dealer when in for service... Be sure to check the slack correctly as these bikes due to their long suspension travel require quite a bit of slack when the suspension is unloaded. It gets checked on the side stand NOT the center stand... Be sure to check your owners manual for proper specs and procedure.

The service was done when I got it 4000kms ago, but I also went in service with the clutch, as it was not fully tighten.

Offline bctz123

• GS Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 06:57:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by bctz123 [+]
The service was done when I got it 4000kms ago, but I also went in service with the clutch, as it was not fully tighten.

Yes, and this only happens in 3rd gear, when I rotate the gas handle to the max (usually I do this when overtaking someone).

Offline bctz123

• GS Member
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 12:12:57 PM »
Went to the service today, the guy there adjusted the clutch, and now it works fine.

They told me that this can issue can be caused of bad usage of the bike, but I find it very hard to believe that after 14k km the clutch is messed up.

I bought the bike at 9k, did 5k with it and I know how to ride, it's not my first bike.

I'll see how it goes now and decide later on, when I service it at 20k if I there needs to be any changes done.

Online Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 12:23:20 PM »
It wouldnít be the first time that someone has taken their bike for service and it came back with problems which were not there before.
Did the workshop adjust the clutch basket mechanism or the clutch cable? It is normal for the clutch cable to stretch a bit over time. There is a screw in the clutch lever to adjust the free play and it should be within particular tolerances. I think this is mentioned in the handbook.

Offline bctz123

• GS Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 01:18:16 PM »
They've adjusted the clutch lever only

Online Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »
Ok. The handbook addresses clutch adjustment by the owner on p 197.
Clutch cable play should be 3 to 5mm at outer position of hand lever with handle bars straight and engine cold.
The space between the adjustment and lock nuts should be max 14mm.