BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Throttle Response Lag  (Read 327 times)

Offline asphaltandbeyond

• GS Junior Member
Throttle Response Lag
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:00:59 PM »
Hi All!

So I just picked up a 2019 F850 GS and I am pretty stoked about it. My primary bike has been a Tiger 900, but looking to expand and drill on other bikes too - first being the 850. My issue is that the throttle response seems extremely poor, and I am not too sure what it could be.

Problem:
When I pin back the throttle, it takes a second or two to apply any bit of response. RPM is low (2-4), and I crawl from 8MPH to 20MPH before I get full response. It sounds like the bike is bogging out, and with the lack of RPM it doesn't seem like an air issue (air filter is clean) or slipping clutch.

Bike settings:

2019 F850 GS
Enduro Pro mode - throttle set to Dynamic, braking set to Enduro
Traction control is off
ODO - 22,000 miles

Possible issues:
Could it be the throttle position sensor?
Bad mapping?

I searched the web and forum, no luck for this bike. Would love some help and looking forward to digging more into the forum and the BMW world!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:56:21 PM by asphaltandbeyond »

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
Re: Throttle Response Lag
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »
The different riding modes are optimised for different riding situations.
Enduro pro mode is optimised for sporty off-road riding with off-road nobbly tyres. Is this what you are doing? If not then perhaps you have selected the wrong mode for the situation.
I would first try it out in road mode on the street and see whether the problem you describe still persists.

Offline asphaltandbeyond

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:54:30 PM »
Thanks Yorks. This occurs on all terrain and in all modes. Most notable, and for my riding preference, in Enduro Pro.

But to directly address, yes I'm offroad with 40/60's.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:55:51 PM by asphaltandbeyond »

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 01:53:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by asphaltandbeyond [+]
Thanks Yorks. This occurs on all terrain and in all modes. Most notable, and for my riding preference, in Enduro Pro.

But to directly address, yes I'm offroad with 40/60's.

Have you tried adjusting your ABS/Traction Control modes within the Enduro Pro menu? If you just select Enduro Pro without taking the time to set up the parameters you are just wasting your time.
You need to set all of the parameters to your preference. The throttle lag could be coming from your traction control settings. If you just switch to Epro the traction control is in the base or factory setting and will delay throttle response as not to spin the wheels excessively.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline asphaltandbeyond

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 04:34:42 AM »
Unfortunately I have.

Engine is set to Dynamic
DTC is set to Enduro Pro
ABS is set to Enduro Pro

I don't think it is a configuration concern, but rather something in the electonic response. Always tricky when a bike has so much technology in it haha. Appreciate the help!

Even with the configuration of DTC, I still disable it an have lag.

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 02:10:48 PM »
If that is the case, I think the best course of action would be to connect up to the onboard diagnostics and see what error messages are being recorded.

Offline Wyn

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F 750 GS
  • Town / City: Ocala
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
I was experiencing the very same thing in road mode. I read on here somewhere riding in Dynamic mode fixes that, and it did on my 2020 F 750 GS. No fix on the 850?