BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wax or Lube for the chain  (Read 2765 times)

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
Re: Wax or Lube for the chain
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 10:32:35 PM »
While in no way attempting to hijack this thread, I have a related question?

When your new bike arrives (or if you watch the BMW factory tours) you see that the chains as they come out of the factory appear to have a light white grease applied (I'm guessing it's LM grease?). Is this indicative of what BMW tend to recommend for lubing the chain or is this a case of a manufacturer (not singling out BMW here) just using the most economical grease they can find (just to get you started) and it's not necessarily what they would recommend you use?

A quick scan of the user manual (for the F750GS) just points you to use the chain cleaner and lubricant as supplied by your local BMW dealer. It does not specify a specific brand or recommended specification for the lubricant.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:36:17 PM by B0M0A0K »
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 01:21:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]

When your new bike arrives (or if you watch the BMW factory tours) you see that the chains as they come out of the factory appear to have a light white grease applied (I'm guessing it's LM grease?). Is this indicative of what BMW tend to recommend for lubing the chain or is this a case of a manufacturer (not singling out BMW here) just using the most economical grease they can find (just to get you started) and it's not necessarily what they would recommend you use?

A quick scan of the user manual (for the F750GS) just points you to use the chain cleaner and lubricant as supplied by your local BMW dealer. It does not specify a specific brand or recommended specification for the lubricant.

The white ("Whatever it is") grease is a mess waiting to happen. At least take a rag and get as much off as possible because if not it will be all over the bike and rims.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline doebag

• GS Pro
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
The white ("Whatever it is") grease is a mess waiting to happen. At least take a rag and get as much off as possible because if not it will be all over the bike and rims.
That wasn't my experience. The white grease stuck like the proverbial and I had no fling on to the rear of the bike or number plate. At the recent service, the dealer cleaned/lubed/adjusted the chain and used 'normal' lube. No white grease in evidence.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline doebag

• GS Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 08:22:22 AM »

The BMW chain lube has no specification on the can at all. You'd probably need to search the part number for more information. However I just sprayed a small amount onto a piece of board. It comes out as a very 'thin' liquid, the carrier then evaporates very quickly to leave a tacky residue. I have yet to use it on the chain.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 09:07:20 AM »
I think this is all why I resorted to EP90 for a good long while. I was finding that many of these chain lubes would just cause the chain to gather dirt and grit (the latter surely going to reduce the life of your chain) - at least with the EP90 it would throw off the garbage. But as I mentioned, it went everywhere.

Where I live (East Coast of Scotland) the council tends to use a very aggressive road salt over the Winter and it absolutely killed the chain and surrounding metalwork.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:09:06 AM by B0M0A0K »
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 03:36:43 AM »
Jeebus how many concurrent threads on this do we really need??  :435:

https://www.850gs.com/index.php/topic,910.msg6551.html#msg6551

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 03:50:31 AM »

It's a type of chain lube that many shops use during servicing as it is their preferred lube for servicing, lasts a while but is very messy to apply if not performed carefully.

Offline Oldum

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bristol
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
A late response on this topic but having spent half a day cleaning 2 years worth of wax, oil, lube off my chain and sprockets I found this “research” useful.  Still no holy grail… you either get mess or rust!

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »
I just cleaned our chains today... I do a cleaning Spring and Fall... Spray with WD-40 and let them soak then brush them with a poly bristle brush such as a tooth brush. Wipe them with a rag then use Simple Green to brush them down again. Hose off and blow dry with air. A short ride to get them warm and apply new Chain Lube of choice... Mine is BelRay "Super Clean" allow to sit overnight or at least a few hours before use.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:33:57 PM by SnoDrtRider »
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...