BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: I'm confused about how the F750GS luggage works?  (Read 668 times)

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
Re: I'm confused about how the F750GS luggage works?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by MJB [+]
I went for the Enduristan Monsoon 3 soft bags. No racks required but you will need the small heat shields for the exhaust. The heat shields are also an Enduristan product. Check out my pictures on the Panniers thread if interested.

Thanks for this, I will go take a look. I have settled on sorting the top-box before the panniers so they may be a little way off yet.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
OK, so after spending much more time trying to decide what I need to make this work I have decided that the safest thing to do is wait until my bike actually arrives before ordering luggage. All the indicators are there that I'm going to stuff this up if I do it now.  :087: :005: 👴

I seem to need the silver rack.
......and the base plate..
........ and possibly the dedicated Givi monokey plate..
.......... and a box of paracetamol..
............ and it all has to be for the 2020 version of the F750GS ..

... I have a headache already  :230:

To add to your headache, your bike will not be the 2020 version of the F750GS (that would be model year 2020), it will be the 2021 version.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 09:21:26 AM »
Aw, thanks Buddy, I knew someone would come along to make things easier  :745:
No Fate But What We Make

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 10:49:48 PM »
I want to try and revisit this and see if I can get some help please.

I have just checked the work order on my bike (I've heard nothing back from the dealer in the interim) and notice that the model type is listed as "0B08" which seems to suggest that this will be a 2020 version on the F750GS?

If that is the case (no pun intended) then could anyone advise on what I will need to mount the Givi DLM30 Trekker Dolomiti top case I have purchased.

I see that there are two types of Monokey plate for this, one that is rated as not supporting the Givi tail accessorie, the other is. As I don't anticipate ever using that LED Tail accessory I'm not too bothered.

or

(which seems to require other additional components?)

But will I also need to get the BMW "Panniers/Luggage Grid"

in order to make this work, or do I just need the Givi plate (and that mounts on the factory supplied rear frame)?

... as you can see, I am completely confused by this and just want to be able to install whatever is necessary to mount the top-case as soon as possible.

Thanks again for any advice, sorry to be dragging this out again  :034:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:52:17 PM by B0M0A0K »
No Fate But What We Make

Online doebag

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Norfolk Blood Biker
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 08:02:54 AM »
You won't need picture 4.

AFAIK, picture 2 is an F850, Picture 3 is an F750. The difference is in the grab rails, and you need the corresponding GIVI plate. They are not interchangeable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:03:57 AM by doebag »
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
I have an idea that this is going to be "stupid question Sunday", sorry about that.

Is Monokey an industry standard or does each manufacturer make their own bespoke version of a "Monokey" system. For example, would a Monokey top case bracket from SW Motech work with a Give Monokey top-case? 
No Fate But What We Make

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »
Bmw changed the colour schemes from model year 2020 to 2021. You ordered white. If the tank cover is matching white you have model year 2021, if the tank cover is black it is model year 2020.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
Bmw changed the colour schemes from model year 2020 to 2021. You ordered white. If the tank cover is matching white you have model year 2021, if the tank cover is black it is model year 2020.

Nice and easy way to tell the difference, thanks for this. Still waiting on an ETA update, but it would be fair to say that I'm getting bored waiting  :157:
No Fate But What We Make

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
I have an idea that this is going to be "stupid question Sunday", sorry about that.

Is Monokey an industry standard or does each manufacturer make their own bespoke version of a "Monokey" system. For example, would a Monokey top case bracket from SW Motech work with a Give Monokey top-case?

'Monokey' is a registered trademark owned by Givi, who also make Kappa bags and panniers and which are interchangable as long as they are 'Monokey' fittings - Givi also do monolock systems which are not interchangable with monokey systems.
Other manufacterers may make a 'Monokey' fitting pannier or boxes which should fit Givi racks (I had a Chinese box which fitted my Givi rack as good as Givi boxes did).
I would assume that the SW Motech rack would take Givi Monokey boxes if they state it is a Monokey fitting.
BUT I could be wrong!!

Dave T

I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
'Monokey' is a registered trademark owned by Givi, who also make Kappa bags and panniers and which are interchangable as long as they are 'Monokey' fittings - Givi also do monolock systems which are not interchangable with monokey systems.
Other manufacterers may make a 'Monokey' fitting pannier or boxes which should fit Givi racks (I had a Chinese box which fitted my Givi rack as good as Givi boxes did).
I would assume that the SW Motech rack would take Givi Monokey boxes if they state it is a Monokey fitting.
BUT I could be wrong!!

Dave T

:028: Thanks very much Dave T, that clears it up and is what I probably expected. But it's helpful to get the confirmation

*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
BUT I could be wrong!!

Noted!
No Fate But What We Make