BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Setting SAG  (Read 1167 times)

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
Setting SAG
« on: September 26, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
While considering my potential next bike (the BMW F850GS) I have spent alot of time worrying about seat height and lowering suspension (5ft7in, 30in inseam). That has led me on the trying to understand "SAG" on suspension. Now, let me be clear in that, in all my time riding I have never bumped up against SAG before and I know absolutely nothing about the concept (judge me if you need to, I won't be alone in this).

How many of you set the SAG on your motorbikes and, when you pick up a new, or nearly new bike, have you ever asked the dealer to get someone from the workshop to help you set the SAG on your new bike?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:55:40 AM by B0M0A0K »
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
Re: Setting SAG
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:15:24 PM »
If you get the one with the automatic preset suspension settings you will not be able to set your own sag other than the different heights you get with set settings.

Sag is the amount a bike seat goes to when the weight of the bike alone is put on the suspension when upright free standing. Generally its set so that the suspension sags about 50mm. To set it you wind the double thin nuts on the rear shock to a position where it sags that much. I dont recall if our shocks have that ability not that Im messing with mine as I presume its factory set.

You may be able to do this on a basic model but its not a good way to lower a bike by having more sag. It messes with the suspension settings (rebound and dampening) plus you could bottom out, chain will have to be readjusted. It can be done by having the shock reset to work in a different range which could be what BMW do for here lowering option?
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Id rather be gifted

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »
The BMW riders manual for the F850 GS bike explains the concept of pre-load and how to adjust it. I suggest that you download it from BMWs homepage, since it should answer this question for you and also some of your other questions.
If you go for the lowered version then you cannot have ESA - the electronic pre-load adjustment, so
you will need to learn to make manual adjustments, which is needed when carrying luggage and/or a pillion.
For your height and inseam, I still think the F750gs would be the better choice.

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 09:00:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
For your height and inseam, I still think the F750gs would be the better choice.

I appreciate your feedback. Why do you think that the F750GS would suit me better, is it the seat height or is there some other reason?
No Fate But What We Make

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:33:56 PM »
Pretty sure Yorks_Rider is referring to your Height/Inseam.
I can/will post some photos of my 850 next to my wife's 750 and you can see the difference in height.
IMO if you can ride a stock suspension height 750 comfortably you should NOT buy a lowered 850 as the bike will be crippled adapting it to a height that is suitable for your height.
IMO a stock height 750 will perform (suspension wise) better than a lowered 850...
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »
All what SnoDrtRider says.
The F850GS is essentially a raised F750GS with a 21" wire front wheel and a very slightly more powerful engine at a significantly higher cost.
From reports I have read, the extra power of the F850GS vs the F750GS is not very significant in practice.
The lowered F850GS will bring you down to the height of the F750GS, but at a cost of reduced comfort. Also, you will not have ESA, nor will you have a centre stand, because neither BMW nor any of third party manufacturers make one for a lowered F850GS.
Given that the whole F850 GS package is a lot more expensive than the F750GS and you want to negate the additional height of the F850GS to boot, I do not see a sound reason for buying the F850GS over the F750GS. Perhaps the different colour scheme of the F850GS might look better for you for posing for photos in front of Caird Hall, but for the riding experience it will make no difference.

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:49:01 AM »
All what SnoDrtRider says.
The F850GS is essentially a raised F750GS with a 21" wire front wheel and a very slightly more powerful engine at a significantly higher cost.
From reports I have read, the extra power of the F850GS vs the F750GS is not very significant in practice.
The lowered F850GS will bring you down to the height of the F750GS, but at a cost of reduced comfort. Also, you will not have ESA, nor will you have a centre stand, because neither BMW nor any of third party manufacturers make one for a lowered F850GS.
Given that the whole F850 GS package is a lot more expensive than the F750GS and you want to negate the additional height of the F850GS to boot, I do not see a sound reason for buying the F850GS over the F750GS. Perhaps the different colour scheme of the F850GS might look better for you for posing for photos in front of Caird Hall, but for the riding experience it will make no difference.

Actually that's the most concise and logical argument I have seen for comparing the 750 and the 850 to date. It may also just have been the deciding factor in my decision. What I keep coming back to was the riding experience I had on the F750GS as opposed to the one I had on the F850GS. On the F750GS I felt comfortable and enjoyed the ride with the exception of the naked feel (fixable with the bigger screen I guess), the F850GS I did not see the increase in performance over the 750 hat I had expected and ALL my attention was on the height. It was also a little bereft of screen protection. I really liked the look of the 850 over the 750, but as you have pointed out, that's all about the poser element.

I absolutely laughed my socks off at the mention of the Caird Hall. Do you know Dundee that well?
No Fate But What We Make

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 07:59:37 AM »
It has to be said that I am absolutely trying to avoid lowering the bike using anything other than seat modifications. I think it would change the geometry too much - I have experience of this from installing lowering links on my V-Strom. It's all got to be done through the seat.
No Fate But What We Make

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 08:06:24 AM »
"I absolutely laughed my socks off at the mention of the Caird Hall. Do you know Dundee that well?"

My youngest daughter spent five years studying at the University of Dundee, so yes, I have been there a few times.

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »
"I absolutely laughed my socks off at the mention of the Caird Hall. Do you know Dundee that well?"

My youngest daughter spent five years studying at the University of Dundee, so yes, I have been there a few times.

LOL, I wondered if it might be something like that. Again, I really appreciate your commentary on this. Earlier today I ran through the BMW configurator and added the features I wanted and sent that to my dealer for a quote. I will see what he comes back with. In the end I have come to realize that that I felt safe enough on the test tide of the F750GS to play with it. I just didn't get the same from the F850GS. 
No Fate But What We Make