BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Actual weight of your ride  (Read 461 times)

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
Actual weight of your ride
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
I did a weigh-in today.

Fully fueled and all fluids topped up.

My 2018 F850GS came in at 254kg (560lbs)!

Major additions to the bike:
Motortek crashbars
Motortek luggage rack without the rotopack plates
Mounting bar and phone holder behind windscreen (AliExpress)
Barkbusters + wind deflectors
Risers 28mm
Additional foot platforms
Brake pedal enlargement
Ram mount rear view mirrors (the coffin shaped ones with large extenders)
Mitas E07 tires (pair)
I've added a tire repair kit (the plug kind).

The bike itself has ESA and quickshifter (probably additional accessories give it a bit more weight compared to bone stock)
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: Actual weight of your ride
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:57:06 AM »
Blimey. Thatís 25Kg over the stated weight and more than the original LC R1200GS. If thatís accurate it just goes to show how many lies are told about weight, or in this case, that the manufacturer quotes the weight for the base mode without any OE extras - so ABS pro, DTC, ESA etc. Even without your mods itís likely that the top of the range mode quoted as 229Kgs is probably nearer 249Kgs. I shudder to think how much a fully-fuelled 850GSA plus luggage weighs. No wonder these bikes feel top-heavy!

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »
The crash bars (according to motortek) should weight 6.3kg and the pannier rack 2.2 kg.

So that leaves 16.5kg for my additions (noting that the mirrors were 'replaced').

BMW notes that their weight is give with 90% tank filled, so their weight is off 1.5 litres (or roughtly 1.2 kg).
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »
That's heavy!
I don't know whether you have a centre stand, but that is not part of the basic equipment and I am sure that the centre stand and its attachment mechanism alone would be a one of the main culprits for the "weight increase".

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
That's heavy!
I don't know whether you have a centre stand, but that is not part of the basic equipment and I am sure that the centre stand and its attachment mechanism alone would be a one of the main culprits for the "weight increase".

Forgot about that! Yes. I have the centre stand!

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »
Yeah so centre stand, ESA mechanism, the RDC unit if you have tyre pressure control, Sixaxis control unit for the ABS Pro and DTC, cruise control hardware etc account for the weight difference. Not really appropriate to call it a mid range bike at > 250Kgs!

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 03:14:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Blimey. Thatís 25Kg over the stated weight and more than the original LC R1200GS.

That is assuming the stated weight for the R1200GS is not equally optimistic. If I get so inclined, I'll roll my GSA up on my scales and see what it comes in at with all the extra kit I've added. But in the end, it doesn't change the fact that its a lot of fun to ride.

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 04:05:31 PM »
Oh Iím sure they all are - likely that a fully specíed 1250GS is nearer 275Kg and the GSA is probably nearer 300Kg. Does rather make a mockery of the big push to make the original 1200GS 25Kg lighter than the 1150!

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »
That's got me thinking... I wonder how much a fully fuelled 850GSA with panniers (and contents), top box and pillion would weigh? 🤔

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
Mine without a pillion (subjectively) felt heavier than a 1200GSA. My guess is not far off 280Kg plus the pillion...