BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rust and corrosion maintenance  (Read 257 times)

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
Rust and corrosion maintenance
« on: September 20, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »
You guys do anything special to any parts of the bike in particular?

I've taken tumbles in sand(ish) areas and my motortek crashbars have taken a beating exposing some of the metal. Sand it down and spraypaint?

Also, my rear axle thread is showing corrosion (I noticed this after going through some extremely deep tractor trenches and having to muscle the bike out sideways...literally, like pulling a battlefield casualty off the line of fire).

Chain is somewhat ugly, I have been spraying degreaser and then lubricant (after appropriate wait times).

Any tips?
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
Re: Rust and corrosion maintenance
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:02:22 AM »
This is an on-going challenge for me living on the East Coast of Scotland. I try and do Bi-Annual brake maintenance, I keep the chain lubed after every ride and have varied what I use over the years, I am currently using spray on  "chain wax". I clean the chain at regular intervals starting with paraffin (I think it's called Kerosene in the US ), dry it off with a microfiber cloth (this will be sacrificial by the time you've finished) and then use a very liberal spray of chain wax.

Rust areas I tend to keep covered in ACF50 or "XCP Rust Blocker". When it get's bad enough I will sand, clean, wipe over with Acetone and then primer and paint.

Hope this helps. 
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
What BOMOAOK says sounds good to me as itís all about keeping oxygen off the exposed metal. There are lots of ways to do that one of my old 40 year old bikes I asked the blokes at a vintage machine shed how would they preserve an old bike that gets used occasionally but did not want to restore. They said lanolin so that bike is wiped over with lanolin literally everything. Not saying that is the right application hear but the concept is the same.
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:19:06 AM »
I use Boeshield T-9. More expensive than ACF-50 but a very little goes a long way, it doesnít require an atomiser and the finish is much nicer. Plus itís seems to aggressively halt the first signs of bubbling/corrosion and lasts for ages. Works a treat on cast wheels too. I do find the 750 silver engine casings almost impossible to keep clean - they mark up very easily. On the plus side the chain hasnít rusted at all over last winter, riding daily. I had an S1000XR 3-4 years ago whose chain went bright orange at the slightest hint of moisture  :001:

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
I use Boeshield T-9.

Thanks Marty589, I hadn't heard of this one and will give it a try. Anything that can resist the accursed rust is a great find in my eyes. It's also my first time using "XCP Rust Blocker" but it got good reviews in several comparison videos I saw.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------