BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How to get a great deal on a new bike, any suggestions/Inside info?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
  • Bike: GS 850 2020
  • Town / City: Peterborough
Re: How to get a great deal on a new bike, any suggestions/Inside info
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »
B0M0A0K - first thing don't panic - second thing is we are in a crazy World right now and I don't care how big or how great BMW are things are going to get moved around and changed.

Your bike will have what's called a unique number, that is traceable all the way through the system from order to delivery.

Because of the covid-19 situation , I can see where you might get allocated a number plate, the advantage of this is that it will be quicker for DVLA.

So call your sales guy / contact guy - ask for an update of where your bike is ? and what's the expected delivery date to your dealership  - at least that way you have a date, tell him your thinking of taking a few days off and your not sure if your be around - but at least he should give you an update and delivery date - good luck
"Some will have some, some will have none and some will get killed in the rush"

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2020, 02:41:39 PM »
Transport firms are under a lot of pressure at the moment and if their workers have to go into quarantine, then they won't be delivering goods.
Count yourself lucky that you did not order your bike for next year. The British government is doing its best to ensure that imported goods will take much longer to clear customs and get into the country.

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2020, 03:58:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
The British government is doing its best to ensure that imported goods will take much longer to clear customs and get into the country.

I actually think it is the EU which is trying to make it hard for the UK by being extremely difficult with the terms they require for a trade deal. We are expected to give a lot to the EU who are barely moving their position.
But it is all politics and I hate it.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2020, 05:51:33 PM »
Of course it is politics.
It was not my intention to turn this into a political discussion, so perhaps we can just agree that trade between the UK and the EU is likely to be working to different rules next year  and get back to talking about motor bikes.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »
Yeah, that's all very worrying. I am painfully aware of the limitations imposed by COVID restrictions, but I had completely overlooked the "Brexit" nonsense.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »
Itís certainly slower to get a bike to the dealer since the PDI went central, and was no longer done at the dealer. For my last 3 bikes, delivery has been longer than expected as it was held up at SCH - plus the first I knew about the bike being ready was when I got the reg document - and that was no more than 2-3 days before I picked it up - so donít fret if youíre expecting to be contacted with a registration 10 days before delivery.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2020, 08:38:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Itís certainly slower to get a bike to the dealer since the PDI went central, and was no longer done at the dealer. For my last 3 bikes, delivery has been longer than expected as it was held up at SCH - plus the first I knew about the bike being ready was when I got the reg document - and that was no more than 2-3 days before I picked it up - so donít fret if youíre expecting to be contacted with a registration 10 days before delivery.

Thanks Matty589. This all adds to the Intel and more Intel makes things easier to understand. At least it's still not as bad as trying to get a new Triumph. When I was looking at one of the new 900's I was quoted March of next year as the likely delivery date.  :005:

No Fate But What We Make

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »
Got my vehicle registration plate information today from the dealer. Bike is now in the UK and getting a PDI at BMW before being transported to Dundee.
No Fate But What We Make

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
Finally picked this beauty up today, in the middle of a Yellow weather warning. So I got to ride her home and then cover her up to protect from the storm because it was lashing it down. At least I got to try out "Rain" mode  :156:

No Fate But What We Make

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2020, 06:15:41 PM »
Take her back - she hasn't been painted yet!!!  :027: :027:

Enjoy the bike when you get a chance.

Dave T