BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How to get a great deal on a new bike, any suggestions/Inside info?  (Read 2302 times)

B0M0A0K and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: How to get a great deal on a new bike, any suggestions/Inside info
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by WHS [+]
Here's my advise, and this comes from having spent over 25 years in the business...
A) First thing is to figure exactly what you want.  If you want an 850GSA, don't settle for a 750GS.  Otherwise you will spend all your time thinking about the GSA and it will effect your enjoyment.  Of course, if you are happy with either, great.   But figure that out first.   
B) Then figure out exactly what you can afford.   If you're paying cash then figure out your top dollar is and don't go over it.   If it's payments, then figure out your max.   And always include insurance (get a quote), and leave enough room for enjoying your new bike.   No fun having a hotdog when you can't afford the mustard.
C) Then start looking on the internet.  Get an idea of how much they are selling for, that will tell you a lot and if you are even in the ball park.
D) Do Not Trade In!  If at all possible, sell your current bike yourself.   Trade-ins always complicate a deal and make it easier for the dealer to confuse the whole thing.  Plus you will make a lot more than you would if you traded.   Then use that for your down payment or to buy farkles for the new bike.   If you do have to trade, then prepare yourself.  Look it up and know what your bike is worth on a trade in value, not retail as you will be disappointed.  But prepare yourself, so that you don't get screwed.
E) Get preapproved for a loan from your bank.   Then you know exactly what it will cost you.  Now, that doesn't mean if they can get a better rate not to take it, but you will get the straight scoop from your bank, where the dealer is looking to make a point or three.
F)  Go in as a cash buyer.  They don't need to know your finances, and if you are preapproved from your bank, then in essence you are a cash buyer.
G) Don't settle (see A above) and don't force it.   If you really want a 1250GSA, but all you can afford is a 310, then wait. 
Now here is probably the best piece of advise I can offer.
H)  Make a deal that makes YOU happy.   No matter what there will always be deals and there will always be a better deal out there... So, make a deal that you are happy with, then stop thinking about it, buy and and enjoy the ride.
Buyers remorse comes from one of two things in most cases.  Overspending your budget or settling for less than what you wanted.   

Bottom line, preparation is the key!

Just my .02

Good luck and have fun!

Fred   

Excellent advice, Fred.
Here in the UK, as we seem to love finance, itís actually more attractive in terms of end cost to buy on PCP (basically a smaller monthly payment with a ballon payment at the end, or hand the bike back, or use it as a deposit on a new bike), then pay the finance off after 3-6 months. Not only are there very few banks offering loans at better rates - if youíre financing - but the dealer gets a kickback for selling the finance product and the manufacturer often has PCP deposit contribution offers. Sadly, here, cash is no longer king. The other thing I would say about trade-ins is the right dealer and the right deal can be very competitive. When I bought my 750GS I traded in my previous bike and was offered exactly the same price I was offered as a max in a private sale - but without the timewasters and tyre-kickers (and there are many of those here!)
Now that COVID is here to stay, I doubt whether anything will remain the same - I suspect the target market for BMW will revert to about 15 years ago - wealthy older buyers paying cash.

Offline Wyn

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F 750 GS
  • Town / City: Ocala
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 05:16:55 AM »
 :047: Good choice. Many miles of good riding.

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 07:29:15 AM »
Thanks! It should be here by the end of October. Now for the mods. First will be a bigger adjustable screen and Barkbusters.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
  • Bike: GS 850 2020
  • Town / City: Peterborough
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »
B0M0A0K - This is how I brought my new GS 850

Looked at what I wanted on the bike what options etc - gave the sheet to the dealer went through the list - he came up with a price XXX
I asked him what he could knock off as I was cash - he went away talked to the manager came back and gave me £300 off  - I went away
I went back 2 days later asked him if the price still stood and I would buy it on BMW PCP - he went to see the manager - Yes

So I got the £300 off plus an extra discount from BMW for taking the PCP out £750 - Total over a grand off the bike.

When the bike came I paid BMW in full within the first week - it cost £1.58 per day 2 x days = £3.16 - BANG that's how you do it.

Good luck.

"Some will have some, some will have none and some will get killed in the rush"

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 02:16:50 PM »
Patience, thorough research, and the willingness to go as far as it takes to get the right deal.

I've traveled 600 miles just to get the deal I wanted. I was willing to go a bit further. The result of that was a 2019 bike that sold for 11,9, it was a dealer demo and already broken in, they did the first service for me.

With 650 miles on the odometer, that saved me thousands off the sale price. BMW does promotional stuff too!

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
 :046: Finally!  :046:

Just heard from the dealer today. BMW system shows that my new machine has been released to the courier and is now heading to BMW UK for plates and registration. It is due to be at the dealer on Wednesday of next week. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see this thing what with the COVID restrictions and all.
No Fate But What We Make

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 11:58:40 PM »
Congratulations!!!!  :305: :152: :046: :700: :495: :730:
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Online B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »
Well, that was too good to be true. Just got a call from the Dealer. News from the factory in Germany that there has been a "logistics Issue" with the courier and they expect to have that resolved in 7 days. Apparently this is affecting all bikes currently at the factory.

This just ain't funny any more. Original delivery date was 2nd November and I even have a print-out stating delivery to customer of 18th November.

:232:
No Fate But What We Make

Offline LFC09

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Sunshine Coast
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 03:40:38 AM »
very frustrating..........the wait is a killer.

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
Fingers crossed it turns up by December 31st!