BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How to get a great deal on a new bike, any suggestions/Inside info?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline talh

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
Re: How to get a great deal on a new bike, any suggestions/Inside info
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 03:46:48 AM »
Keep in mind both of you want this deal to work. Tell the dealer you "are almost there", and just need to sweeten the deal a little.
Offer a new price, he'll probably offer to split the difference with you.

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 07:24:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
So my dealer came back with the quote for my "A La Carte" features selection and the total price of my F850GS.

... it's actually better than I expected.

Question, if I want to get him to reduce it a little further should I just wait and see if he wants to play or should I just bite the bullet and commit. I would like to get some more off, especially as I don't agree with a couple of the things on the list (administrative charges and a delivery charge when I will pick the bike up from my local dealer).

Any thoughts please?

The delivery charge is from the BMW factory to the dealer - not delivery to you. If you’re looking for a fairly modest final discount make them an offer - what’s the worst that can happen :)

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: Suzuki DL650 AK9
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 07:38:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
The delivery charge is from the BMW factory to the dealer - not delivery to you. If you’re looking for a fairly modest final discount make them an offer - what’s the worst that can happen :)

To be fair that is exactly how the dealer described it.

I guess I am never very good at this sort of thing because I can't tell if they are expecting me to barter over the price or whether the price they offer you is what it's going to cost. I don't seem to have any natural "feel" for this stuff.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
If you are looking for an even better deal, then buying the F750GS instead would be the way to go, but I suppose you knew that already...

Offline Wyn

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2020 F 750 GS
  • Town / City: Ocala
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 01:07:29 PM »
Ditto

Offline Davidg1230

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
To be fair that is exactly how the dealer described it.

I guess I am never very good at this sort of thing because I can't tell if they are expecting me to barter over the price or whether the price they offer you is what it's going to cost. I don't seem to have any natural "feel" for this stuff.

Happy to tell you my experience last month when buying my'19 F850GS Sport. I initially approached the dealer regarding a cheaper pre-reg '19 F850GS with the standard screen and asked if they had any TFT models and would it be a better buy? They had a green F850GS Sport with TFT and lots of kit for £9250. My budget at the time was nearer £8,000. They offered this TFT bike at £8,850 without my haggling at all. In the end I got them down to £8,750 and bought it. From what they said, they sourced the bike from an internal BMW auction platform and the bikes were from BMW UK. According to the sales manager my bike had cost them £8,250 so they are apparently only making £500 profit. Suppose that sounds about right?

As for haggling, they will drop quite quickly but you won't get them to cave in and reduce their margin too much. I was buying cash but had no trade, but did buy a top box that might have sweetened the deal a bit

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 10:45:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Davidg1230 [+]
Happy to tell you my experience last month when buying my'19 F850GS Sport.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this, it's very useful as a comparison. I wonder how the "rules" differ between a nearly new and brand new bike? Mind telling me how many miles this had when you purchased it?
No Fate But What We Make

Offline Davidg1230

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »
The bike had 2,250miles. I felt the saving over new was significant and I was given 2 years full warranty so it made no point buying new. There are quite a few of these ex BMW UK bikes around, which are company bikes given out to employees like company bikes. My bike was exactly 1 year old. Saving over £3k was massive and I can't see any issues or wear and tear on the bike. Basically a cheap brand new bike
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:37:33 AM by Davidg1230 »

Offline WHS

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F850GSA
  • Town / City: Waitsburg
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 07:47:31 PM »
Here's my advise, and this comes from having spent over 25 years in the business...
A) First thing is to figure exactly what you want.  If you want an 850GSA, don't settle for a 750GS.  Otherwise you will spend all your time thinking about the GSA and it will effect your enjoyment.  Of course, if you are happy with either, great.   But figure that out first.   
B) Then figure out exactly what you can afford.   If you're paying cash then figure out your top dollar is and don't go over it.   If it's payments, then figure out your max.   And always include insurance (get a quote), and leave enough room for enjoying your new bike.   No fun having a hotdog when you can't afford the mustard.
C) Then start looking on the internet.  Get an idea of how much they are selling for, that will tell you a lot and if you are even in the ball park.
D) Do Not Trade In!  If at all possible, sell your current bike yourself.   Trade-ins always complicate a deal and make it easier for the dealer to confuse the whole thing.  Plus you will make a lot more than you would if you traded.   Then use that for your down payment or to buy farkles for the new bike.   If you do have to trade, then prepare yourself.  Look it up and know what your bike is worth on a trade in value, not retail as you will be disappointed.  But prepare yourself, so that you don't get screwed.
E) Get preapproved for a loan from your bank.   Then you know exactly what it will cost you.  Now, that doesn't mean if they can get a better rate not to take it, but you will get the straight scoop from your bank, where the dealer is looking to make a point or three.
F)  Go in as a cash buyer.  They don't need to know your finances, and if you are preapproved from your bank, then in essence you are a cash buyer.
G) Don't settle (see A above) and don't force it.   If you really want a 1250GSA, but all you can afford is a 310, then wait. 
Now here is probably the best piece of advise I can offer.
H)  Make a deal that makes YOU happy.   No matter what there will always be deals and there will always be a better deal out there... So, make a deal that you are happy with, then stop thinking about it, buy and and enjoy the ride.
Buyers remorse comes from one of two things in most cases.  Overspending your budget or settling for less than what you wanted.   

Bottom line, preparation is the key!

Just my .02

Good luck and have fun!

Fred   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:01:11 PM by WHS »

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2020, 08:11:27 PM »
It's done.

Signed the documents for my new F750GS Sport today. Hopefully should get it before November.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and advice, it really is much appreciated.
No Fate But What We Make