Author Michelin Anakee III tires  (Read 8735 times)

• Offline Si_Burnout   be

• GS Member  ‐    36

Offline Si_Burnout

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: Sint-Niklaas
    Re: Michelin Anakee III tires
    Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2022, 05.48 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 05.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by kariudo [+]
    I am just short of 10k miles (16k km) on my Anakee IIIs, and while I don't like them, they have held up fine, and behaved well on the road. I deleted my resonator to save like 14lbs (bloody giant thing) so its possible I can't hear some droning over the engine in my case. I also spend most all of my riding on very windy roads so I have no real flat-spotting. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with how they have worn, I have kept a close on them wearing because I hate them for other reasons, but I also hate to waste tires that have plenty of life left. I also keep changing my mind about what I want to switch them out for. They are completely worthless in loose sand/gravel and I end up slithering around when on the dirt roads a lot more than I might prefer, and I'm certain that if I stopped moving in any amount of muck, I would be pulling her out with a block and tackle. TL;DR: I don't like them, but mine don't seem to be noisy and have held up to the miles well (but I do live in a cold climate and ride windy roads almost exclusively).

I switched them for the anakee adventure. There better on the road and have slightly better traction off road. After 2k they still look brand new. So I hope to achieve over 10k on them.

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    31

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    • Town / City: East Gwillimbury
    Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2022, 05.50 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 05.50 pm
    I appreciate everyone's input.  Personally I don't hate these tires but I've nothing to compare them with yet.   I have a set of Motoz Tractionator GPSs in my garage, but I'll be taking them with me on my trip in July.   I suppose if it looks like the Michelins aren't going to make it to Edmonton (from Toronto), I'll switch them out beforehand.   It's always great to get other rider's perspectives regardless of the answer.   thanks all

• Offline kariudo   us

• GS Member  ‐    12

Offline kariudo

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Killingworth
    Reply #22 on: Apr 11, 2022, 06.59 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 06.59 pm
    I'm leaning somewhere around the Dunlop Trailmax Missions, Heidenau K 60 Scout, and the Shinko 705 as good options for mostly roads but a reasonable amount of trail ability. But, analysis paralysis is a real thing lol

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    737

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #23 on: Apr 11, 2022, 08.05 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 08.05 pm
    *Originally Posted by kariudo [+]
    I'm leaning somewhere around the Dunlop Trailmax Missions, Heidenau K 60 Scout, and the Shinko 705 as good options for mostly roads but a reasonable amount of trail ability. But, analysis paralysis is a real thing lol

My 800 GS had Heidenau K60s on when I bought it... If you think A3s make noise you are in for a big surprise... The front tire howled so loud people would turn and look while I was driving down the street. I tried to persevere and wear them out but I just couldn't take it...

• Offline kariudo   us

• GS Member  ‐    12

Offline kariudo

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Killingworth
    Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2022, 09.41 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 09.41 pm
    *Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
    My 800 GS had Heidenau K60s on when I bought it... If you think A3s make noise you are in for a big surprise... The front tire howled so loud people would turn and look while I was driving down the street. I tried to persevere and wear them out but I just couldn't take it...

Oh damn! hahah. They look like they would bit a bit loud, but that sounds worse than I would expect. Sooo then I guess I will call it between the other two. Really I'd love to have two sets of wheels so I could have a set for road and off, but lets be real that's a lot of money for something I'm not gonna want to keep switching.

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    581

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #25 on: Apr 11, 2022, 10.05 pm
    Apr 11, 2022, 10.05 pm
    Mine are on 8,200 miles and have a good 3,000-4,000 miles left. I do ride quite steadily and they are flat spotted but plenty of tread left. I wouldn’t say they’re the most fun I’ve had on 2 wheels and they did have a noisy period (although since going back to the OEM touring screen I don’t really notice it, possibly less noise being reflected up with a small screen). When they need to be replaced I’d more than happy to fit a different tyre - but TBH the road noise is nowhere near as bad as on my 1200GS.

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    31

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2022, 03.05 pm
    Apr 12, 2022, 03.05 pm
    *Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
    Mine are on 8,200 miles and have a good 3,000-4,000 miles left. I do ride quite steadily and they are flat spotted but plenty of tread left. I wouldn’t say they’re the most fun I’ve had on 2 wheels and they did have a noisy period (although since going back to the OEM touring screen I don’t really notice it, possibly less noise being reflected up with a small screen). When they need to be replaced I’d more than happy to fit a different tyre - but TBH the road noise is nowhere near as bad as on my 1200GS.

I'm seeing a lot of high milers here on the AIIIs ....I've got about 6800 kms on mine (4200 miles) on mine and they look like they've still got a ton of wear left.   I'm thinking I should be ok for the next 4-5000 kms basing it on what you guys are telling me....great input here

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    31

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2022, 06.03 am
    Jul 16, 2022, 06.03 am
    *Originally Posted by RobsGS [+]
    I appreciate everyone's input.  Personally I don't hate these tires but I've nothing to compare them with yet.   I have a set of Motoz Tractionator GPSs in my garage, but I'll be taking them with me on my trip in July.   I suppose if it looks like the Michelins aren't going to make it to Edmonton (from Toronto), I'll switch them out beforehand.   It's always great to get other rider's perspectives regardless of the answer.   thanks all

I have a little more to say on the topic now...albeit late in the game.    I'm on a 15,000km journey through Canada and parts of the US.   I had my Anakee IIIs on for about 10k kms from the day I picked up my bike.    I switched to the Motoz Tractionator GPSs part way through my trip.   The Michelins still had a ton of life in them at 10k kms.   They were absolutely nowhere near the wear bars.   So, what's the difference since I switched to the Motoz?   The Motoz sit my bike a lot higher so I don't have near the side stand issues I had with the Michelins.   On the highway the Motoz scream like banshees between 95-105 km/h.   They're louder at all times, but almost deafening at those speeds.   At 130 km/h I have to back off because I'm about to go into a high speed wobble....they're squirrely af at speed.   The Michelins were stable at all speeds and very quiet imo.   On gravel the Michelins weren't the best.    I had no confidence at all.   I feel a lot more confidence in the Motoz tires on the dirt/gravel.   Now in fairness, I haven't ridden proper off-road since the early 80's so I don't really have the confidence that I once had.   I don't know if this adds anything to the conversation, but this is my experience with the Michelins.   Would I buy another set for this particular bike?   No.   But I wouldn't heisitate to try another Michelin tire, maybe the Anakee Adventure.
    Last Edit: Jul 16, 2022, 06.05 am by RobsGS

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    31

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2022, 03.41 pm
    Jul 18, 2022, 03.41 pm
    Update!   I thought I bought Tractionator GPSs, but after a few days of riding and actually reading the sidewall, I’ve got Motoz Adventure tires.   They’re much more aggressive and not the very best on pavement.   I have a new set of Tractionator GPSs at home and I’ll swap them out when I get there.   That said, I’m on the Dempster Highway in the Yukon right now and they’re great on dirt roads. 
    Last Edit: Jul 18, 2022, 03.42 pm by RobsGS