BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Risk of premature degradation of Rocker Arm on F750/850GS. MC64011504  (Read 6925 times)

ohendo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
Re: Risk of premature degradation of Rocker Arm on F750/850GS. MC64011
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 08:20:38 PM »
There have been enough mentions of this issue here and in other forums for BMW to be concerned about bad publicity. I suspect that they will take all necessary steps to keep it quiet or certainly low key. I'm not sure how bad it has to be for BMW to issue a recall, but I imagine that would be the last resort.
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline GTO

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GSA
  • Town / City: Chiang Mai
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 04:34:34 AM »
I took my 2019 F850 GSA in for 20K service yesterday.  I pointed out the ticking noise coming from the engine, 5 people present all agreed.  My BMW dealer in Chiang Mai was not aware of the rocker arms problem/update, and asked how I knew!  They gave me a paper in English describing the solution for ticking noise from BMW.  It states replace rocker arms with new version, check cam for damage (replace if damaged) change oil and filter.
The dealer has to translate the document they gave me, so they can understand what it says. 
I'm waiting to hear from them now?
I'll let you know if the translation was correct, or I have to help them understand the document from BMW.

Offline Hommes

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Treorchy
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 08:34:42 PM »
Any more updates from anyone on this issue?
My bike has gone in today for investigation so I will have some more information on this soon.
But as it stands now, here in the UK at least, BMW UK are only listing the original part number (the one that has the faulty coating) on their parts system.  And that is the only one my dealer is allowed to order and fit to my bike.
Now, when I look on the online USA parts systems, they list the original part and a newer part that superceded it from 10/19.
So if I was in the US, I assume they would fit the new part.
In the UK they are not.
Another strange thing is, the new part number is the same as those listed for a few other bikes like the XR1000.  I asked my dealer if I could buy the new parts.
He said Yes, but they couldn't fit them to my bike because they are not on the approved parts list. I would have to do it myself.
So It seems I, and others in the UK have to have defective parts replaced with new possibly defective parts until they run out of stock of them.
On the plus side,  the problem with the rocker arms may just be with certain batches and I might get good ones this time. 😉

Offline Hommes

• GS Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »
Ok. Had a video from my dealer showing the coating on the rocker arms coming off which has caused damage/wear to the arms and both Cam Shafts.
All rocker arms and both Cam Shafts will need to be replaced.  :003:
This has all happened within 4,000 miles.
It's great that I am having everything replaced under warranty.  :001:
It's unbelievable that BMW UK are replacing the sub standard arms with the same sub standard part.  :232:
Are they really hoping that most peoples bikes will be out of warranty before the problem comes to light rather than issue an expensive recall?
And why have they listed the updated part in the USA and not in the UK? :012:

Offline Fill Ya Boots

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850gs
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 02:24:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hommes [+]
Ok. Had a video from my dealer showing the coating on the rocker arms coming off which has caused damage/wear to the arms and both Cam Shafts.
All rocker arms and both Cam Shafts will need to be replaced.  :003:
This has all happened within 4,000 miles.
It's great that I am having everything replaced under warranty.  :001:
It's unbelievable that BMW UK are replacing the sub standard arms with the same sub standard part.  :232:
Are they really hoping that most peoples bikes will be out of warranty before the problem comes to light rather than issue an expensive recall?
And why have they listed the updated part in the USA and not in the UK? :012:
All ok here, 12k miles. What year bike is yours and what kind of sound did it make with faulty rocker arms, could you hear them on tickover or did you have to rev it?

Offline Hommes

• GS Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2021, 05:21:36 AM »
My bike is a 2019 model.
The sound is exactly like a sewing machine noise.
I could hear it at tick over but it was more noticeable when i was riding.
I started to hear the noise at around 1k and it got worse.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 07:47:33 AM »
It's really great that you have gone to the trouble of documenting this issues, it's very much appreciated  :028:
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline Nicolas Epelly

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: LES LILAS
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »
Dear all in this topics and @Hommes in particular
It would be great to share the video  : "had a video from my dealer showing the coating on the rocker arms coming off which has caused damage/wear to the arms and both Cam Shafts."

many many thanks
Alokin

Offline MitzaPCH

• GS Member
  • Bike: 850 gs
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 07:09:07 PM »
I have a 2019 model and I checked yesterday the oil level and it was at minimum. I've done the service at BMW ( Romania ), at 12.200km, I now have 15.000km. I also have the tic-tac noise ( metal noise ) coming from engine.

I've made an appointment right away to the dealer since my warranty will cease in April 2022.

My only modification to the bike is the "link pipe" addition, I've done it at the dealer and he said it doesn't void warranty.
I pointed them, after reading this topic, to check rocker arms, camshaft and camshaft tensioner.

Will keep you updated. Thanks for sharing !

Offline Hommes

• GS Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 09:29:47 PM »
Here is a link to the Video from my dealer. I hope it works ok.
Sorry the quality isn't very good, but you can see the kind of damage the faulty coating does to the cam lobes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kj407pf177der4/20210917_211128.mp4?dl=0
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:43:54 PM by Hommes »