BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Adding more brake lights  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Markap

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Reston
Adding more brake lights
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:28:48 PM »
I bought two LED pods which flash when activated to use as additional brake lights.  I looked around back there but couldn’t find the right wire going to the brake light.  Anyone know which one it is?

Offline talh

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
Re: Adding more brake lights
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:28:10 AM »
The easiest way to find it is to track it back from the light itself. There's a plug there so you can disconnect and test to find the right one.

Another option - if you are willing to shell out $200 - get the EZCan device. You won't need to cut/splice any wires (it detects pressing the brake) and you can make it blink, strobe, etc (there are several modes).
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-F-750-GS-F-850-GS/Accessories-Paint-protection/HEX-ezCAN-accessory-manager.html

It can do much more, obviously... I also connected it to my aux leds and the Soundbomb horn.

Offline Rogert

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Middletown NJ
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 12:59:01 AM »
TO MARKAP... did you find a solution to your problem of adding aux brake lights?  Look at the discussion under Wiring and you will see my and other people addressing the same thing.  I added aux brake and turn signals directly to the bike wiring.

Offline Markap

• GS Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »
Hi - yes I did.  After taking off the back cowl, I was able to identify the single wire going to the tail light.  Tapped into that and my led pods are working great!

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 01:09:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markap [+]
Hi - yes I did.  After taking off the back cowl, I was able to identify the single wire going to the tail light.  Tapped into that and my led pods are working great!

MARKAP - Any pics of the led pods pls? Thanks

Offline Rogert

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Middletown NJ
Re: Sample of brake lights
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:07:14 AM »
Here are the brake lights that I added.... inexpensive truck lights.  However I had to add a relay which is powered by Battery and Relay and driven by the brake light lead (under cowl) https://photos.850gs.com/image/O7ws    Also go to pictures part of forum and search for Wiring to see photo.    Lights are held onto bags with Velcro and have plugs under seat to quickly  disconnect them.  Now I would look for LED lights that draw much less current so that I could drive them directly from bike brake wire rather than relay/battery. . 

Offline Markap

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazza750 [+]
MARKAP - Any pics of the led pods pls? Thanks

I used these leds:
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/330-668/street-fx-electropods-led-lights

Since the Tail light/brake light on the F850 is single wire, it was easy to connect (after removing the rear cowl).  And, low voltage is fed to the LEDs at all times (when on) and then they brighten and flash when the brakes are applied.  Pretty good for the $31 they cost.

I bolted them on to little steel tabs that I made and then attached them to the lower license plate bolts.  I like them!

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »
Thanks guys for the pics