BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GS Front Fork Oil  (Read 354 times)

Offline Dalriada46

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Kilmarnock
F850GS Front Fork Oil
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:25:02 AM »
Does anyone know the OEM grade of front fork oil used on a 2019 F850GS?  The front suspension is okay when the bike is used on road and unladen.  However when fully loaded with luggage it is like riding a Pogo stick.  I'm looking changing the fork oil with a heavier one before looking at other options.

Offline ADV_Malloy

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: New Hampshire
Re: F850GS Front Fork Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 12:18:34 AM »
I have a similar issue I think..

Check out this video I took tonight with my GoPro focused on my front forks.  The front dives down when tap the brake, or go over a slow speed roll up a curb.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ta-9ut1yyzcNcFIpxEckKviwhlAZKzLN/view?usp=sharing

There is no way to adjust the front right?
Thanks,

Chris

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
Re: F850GS Front Fork Oil
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 05:08:55 AM »
Ok I have no clue as to if that is normal as I have a 750 so will just put my thoughts out there 

Does it bottom out “chink” If not then it’s normalish
The side wall profile of the tyre looks low which will transfer more energy to the forks.
That sudden stop will do that to a degree you just have to know what is normal for that model if the movement seems excessive to you. Hop on another 850 and hold the front brake on and bounce it up and down and compare.
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn I’d rather be gifted