BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Coolant Leak  (Read 2390 times)

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Coolant Leak
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 01:22:52 AM »
Not certain what you mean, what I posted initially is what happened. I would not recommend trying to fix anything, just have your dealer replace it, riding it may not be a great idea as well due to the lack of coolant pressure. Ask if they have a loaner bike.

Here's a little more about the leak:
https://www.wunderlich-fernweh.de/2019/05/12/tag-8-time-to-say-goodbye/?lang=en

Offline Zemago

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Lisbon
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »
Mine started to leak as well after 20000km, I also had oil leak and my clutch and quickshift where completely gone !!

They started by saying that the clutch does not fall into the warranty as it is a part that wears fast kind of like the breaks and the oils,etc.

I went to another dealer yesterday. They just called me, whole clutch is being replaced as is the whole radiator and the oil sump.

The bike has 9 months !!! Im starting to doubt its capabilitys 111

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 10:22:01 PM »
Yeah, typical of some dealers. Not certain what is involved with (paperwork) submitting warranty claims, but something tells me they may make more on just charging a customer directly. Not certain about this, but I can't explain it as it's somewhat common. Glad you switched dealers, BMW even warranties the battery for the first 2 years, so I doubt they would turn this down, considering there were other issues as  well.

Offline woodsguy

• GS Member
  • Bike: 850GS
  • Town / City: Huntsville, Tx
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 11:29:43 PM »
Got mine in shop last Thursday, got a call that evening, hole in radiator. Got one ordered and now I wait.
2019 BMW GS 850, 2020 Sherco FSE 250

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 03:12:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Zemago [+]

The bike has 9 months !!! Im starting to doubt its capabilitys 111

You say that Zemago and it does the usual spike in me OMG what happens if that happens to me the sky is going to fall in..... and itís the same with every bike I have owned. You get a bike and start to hear these stories about various problems and worry yet for the most part itís other peopleís problems. You hope you donít end up being one of the other people and for the most part you arenít. I guess forums have an attraction and are the natural place to share the issues. Makes me wonder what the ratio is for issue it 1000 bikes sold? 
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 06:02:25 AM »
The reason I post issues of this nature are to make other members aware. Over the years, these forums have been immensely helpful. Sometimes to the point of saving me thousands - a Ducati service bulletin that should've been a recall, but wasn't saved my bacon when I found out about the issues I was experiencing. Members have kindly provided service/wiring diagrams, helpful advise with servicing my forks, brakes, ABS units, splines, tires and so on almost every time I've asked for help. I've had members literally walk me through connecting my pc to the ecu to read and clear codes. 
This can be read 2 ways: 1-hope it doesn't happen to me. 2-If this happens (radiator leak) I'll know what the most likely culprit might be. It leaks from the top portion of the radiator. Let's fill'er up and see how much fluid needs replacing. I'll keep an eye on the  temp gauge and ride to the next town. Oh and I know it should be covered under warranty.
It's all a matter of perspective. YMMV based on your take and give :001:.

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 06:10:21 AM »
I agree with you netaron thatís why Iím hear as well and give a little back in what ever way I can.

Donít know what YMMV means though?
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 06:22:57 AM »
Your mileage may vary  :002:

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 850 gsa rallye
  • Town / City: Colorado Springs
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:42 PM »
Ok had to join forum as I am also unfortunately a victim of these bad radiator mount on this bike.  My 2019 gsa 850 has 9848 miles.  Took it in 4 weeks ago to Bmw in Denver.  Be aware due to COVID the supply chain has taken a huge hit, today after 4 weeks a radiator finally came from Germany.  This even after escalating the case with Bmw customer care.  It appears the radiator split and or cracked at the top on the left side around the radiator mount area.  Evidently vibrations seem to be the Achilles heals for the current mounting scheme and or radiator.
  Also my engine makes the stupid ticking noise and they will open her up and check the timing chain and other bits that may be prematurely wore out.  I ride the bike hard here in Colorado single track, double you name it.  Itís the most fun on two wheels Iíve had and this thing is very capable off road.  Well other than the radiator evidently.  I will try to get pics and update everything when itís finally repaired and how long the new radiator and or replace the parts for engine last.
  4 week wait for a radiator is beyond ridiculous hence I opened a complaint with Bmw customer service.  Changes need to happen COVID or no COVID

Offline Zemago

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Lisbon
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 10:49:00 PM »
I couldn't agree more its a fun bike offroad. I also ride it hard, I'm mounting mitas 09 in the back and 10 in the front. Its a blast with the added plus of behaving and being very comfortable as daily commute  bike.

Fortunately they had the radiator in Spain so its gonna be fast.

I'm still waiting on the diagnosis for the gearbox and exactly the same ticking  noise from the engine.

If I need a whole new gearbox and shift kit its gonna have to come frome Germany hopefully its not gonna take alot of time.