BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Motortek crash bars/engine guards  (Read 528 times)

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
Motortek crash bars/engine guards
« on: August 26, 2020, 11:14:04 AM »
Thought I'd pitch in my two cents. After viewing Outback Motortek's youtube vids showing how they're confident in their crashbars/engine guards, I decided theirs were the way to go.

I ordered mine from a dealer in Czech. They came in nicely packaged and sealed with mounting hardware in a separate sealed bag.

Mounted they look like this:

(Yes, those are also Motortek's luggage racks, but that will be in a separate post...)

My initial thoughts:

The mounting hardware must have been changed from the video instructions that Motortek has published. I had this:

*That's a pipe tamper behind the black bolt at the top. Not part of the package.*

1. One extra nyloc nut that wasn't used
2. The four nutless bolts to the right (M6 I believe) - were all the same size. I had to cut off about 7-8mm off two of those bolts in order to mount the bars on the right side (bolts simply weren't screwing in all the way in the mounting points on the bike).
3. Spacers fit perfectly where they were required.

Another (minor?) inconvenience was that the lower mounting hole for the left side engine guard didn't line up with the mounting hole on the bike. See pic below. I am holding the engine guard. Mounting hole is to the right (rear) of the foot shifter. You can see how much the metal overlaps the hole...

It took about 15 minutes of elbow grease with a metal file to get the ~4mm of metal removed so the bolt could fit through.

The top and bottom guards fit together perfectly. The crossbar that goes under the beak is assymetrical and I orientated it wrong the first time around (which still would have fit but I chose not to force any bolts and simply reversed it allowing for a perfect fit).

Luckily the bars came in handy the next ride out:

My general thoughts:
1. Mounting was easy save for the minor modifications. Maybe my 2018 model is a tad off in terms of the specs of the bolts and that one mounting point that motortek used to design the bars.
2. The bars felt great hands-on.
3. The bars feel great bike-mounted and seem to have just enough clearance from the engine/bike surface to be protective and yet not give a bulky appearance.
4. The bars are mounted so that the silver BMW logo plastic cover thingie can be taken off without problems and I suspect the black under-plastic can be removed with minimal finessing.*
5. Although my unintentional dismounts were on a sandy part of the path, it seems the bars did their job(s) and the plastics live to ride another day.*

*The top bars do not directly protect the top most portion of the bike's torso like Heed's Bunker bars. Outback's bars seem to combine with handbars to form a sort of indirect protective line which in theory would keep the bike lifted off the ground if on it's side. It seems to worked on my few tumbles thus far. Motortek's bars look less engulfing...and their tests, very cool to have shown bikes being draged with the bars.

I highly recommend.

As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
Re: Motortek crash bars/engine guards
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:56:59 PM »
I have them on my bike as well and they are great and quality build.  Actually have had a low side with no damage and a minor scrap, worked well!!

Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
Did you also have to file a bit to get the screw through (like in my pic?)

I'm looking into some spray to fix up the cosmetic damage I've acquired already.
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »
Good morning, I was lucky mine went together well, kept everything pretty loose during the initial assembly. I did get one of the first kits to come into the US. I really like the look and protection.
Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline forest_rider

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: New Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grizzlie [+]
Did you also have to file a bit to get the screw through (like in my pic?)

I'm looking into some spray to fix up the cosmetic damage I've acquired already.

I just installed on my 2019 850 and everything fit with one left over nylon nut. Of the 4 hex bolts, I know 3 are the same size and I believe the one with threading all the way to the head was smaller as that goes on the left side. Big spacer goes on the right and small on the left. I think they welded some spacers on instead of having them loose. I also had to use a T25 to unscrew a plastic cover on the left side to get to one mount point. After the screw is off it took a while to build the courage and just yank on it and there I found it has a rubber socket holding it on with the torx screw, so pulling it off is how to do it. Unless something was way off you may have put it on wrong which is why stuff didn't line up. I had to slowly watch the video a bunch of times as I installed to see what pieces he had in his hand. It wasn't very clear the left side stand mount goes behind the point and then washer and bolt goes on.

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by forest_rider [+]
I just installed on my 2019 850 and everything fit with one left over nylon nut. Of the 4 hex bolts, I know 3 are the same size and I believe the one with threading all the way to the head was smaller as that goes on the left side. Big spacer goes on the right and small on the left. I think they welded some spacers on instead of having them loose. I also had to use a T25 to unscrew a plastic cover on the left side to get to one mount point. After the screw is off it took a while to build the courage and just yank on it and there I found it has a rubber socket holding it on with the torx screw, so pulling it off is how to do it. Unless something was way off you may have put it on wrong which is why stuff didn't line up. I had to slowly watch the video a bunch of times as I installed to see what pieces he had in his hand. It wasn't very clear the left side stand mount goes behind the point and then washer and bolt goes on.

After a couple of questions back to the US supplier the cover that we have to take off on the left side is only found on the bikes shipped to NA, which is why it is not shown in the videos.

Racing Red BMW 850 GS