BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 750GS Review after 2,000 Miles  (Read 1522 times)

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: 750GS Review after 2,000 Miles
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
My review after one year of ownership and about 5,000 miles:
Good points:
Engine is sprightly and feels like it has a bit more go than the equivalent F700GS.
Gearbox and quickshifter are good, less not by and unwilling to find neutral than the F700/800 series.
Clutch lever lighter to use, if a little sticky. Better span adjustment on both this and the brake lever, same as the 1200/1250 series.
Headlight excellent, even without additional spotlights. The original 700/800 headlight was decent but the LED seems to throw more light and a better light spread.
Putting the tank in the traditional location has meant the seat height can be dropped a bit, and the seat profile is much flatter, if not particularly comfortable, but thatís likely to be cheap, poor quality padding. The actual seat shape is good.
Uses same vario luggage as 1200/1250 bikes
Nice, easy-to-read TFT but annoying that you can only show one item from the info menu at once - Iíd much rather the rev counter was smaller and you could show trip+ something else (e.g. tyre pressures), but with a Nav this is less of an issue
Less annoying vibration in the engine than the 700/800 series (but, see below...)
Light and balanced feel, a great do it all road bike. Having had all 3 bikes in the range I believe the 750 is a far better bike for road riding. The 850 feels flighty and for me the seat is too tall, and though the 850GSA has better weather protection, for me it was just too top heavy and at some point I would have dropped it on an off camber uphill/downhill turn. Plus there really is no benefit having a skinnier 21Ē front wheel on the road - you just understeer so have to yank the bars to get round tighter corners
Fuel economy is excellent - regularly getting >65-70mpg imperial, which somewhat offsets the tiny 15L tank

Bad points:
Engine is noisy and rattle and Iím not convinced that there isnít something up. Iíve had the CCT replaced after it drank over 1L oil in 3,000 miles but since the oil seems to have stayed OK, so maybe itís been fixed.
Pegs are too far back and a bit too high for me. Quite annoying that they get right in the way when putting your legs down, making the effective reach to the ground further than it should be.
I cannot completely eliminate buffeting. Iíve tried a variety of solution and Iíve come to the conclusion that itís the fairings and bodywork, not the screen. Either a tiny sport screen or a massive barn door seems to be the answer. Disappointing that they donít seem to have fixed this as it was an issue with every 700/800 bike I owned.
Brakes are poor. Really disappointing of BMW to fit the same cheap 2-piston sliding callipers they fitted to the F650GS 12+ years ago. If Triumph can fit Brembo Stylemas and every other manufacturer in the class is using 4-piston radial callipers. They stop the bike and youíre never really in danger of crashing but they feel weak and underpowered, plus the sliding design is prone to seizure it not maintained
Tendency to stall unless given decent revs - possibly a result of a emission regulations and lean fuelling but Iíve had it cut out on me more than any other bike Iíve owned (twice this morning pulling away from a stop)
Top heavy - a bike of this capacity and market segment has no right to be so heavy, nor top heavy. Having sat on a KTM 790 Adventure, my F750 feels 50Kg heavier. The extra heft also makes it feel far less willing, even though it has a larger engine than the KTM
Expensive for what it is - in the UK a new bike fully-specíed is approaching £12K without luggage. I would happily dispense with keyless ride, ABS Pro, DTC, gearshift assist pro, ESA and replace the TFT with a decent LCD/LED and cruise control and have a bike nearer £9K. Sadly itís very hard to spec such a bike due to nature of the items in each pack, so itíd be quite a bit more expensive and next to impossible to sell as everyone seems to want a TE model in the UK. This high price is not reflected for me in terms of quality components.
Poor suspension. The front forks crash over bumps and the ESA on the back, whilst better than the same bike with the manual shock (which I had in my 850GS, and it was awful), feels underdamped. On anything except smooth roads the ride is choppy and there excessive wheel chatter, again down to poor compression/rebound damping.

All in all, I like the bike, but I donít love it. Iíve recently tried both the KTM 790 Adv and the Triumph Tiger 900 and IMHO theyíre both better bikes. Not planning to sell anytime soon, partly due to the poor residual value, but may be looking at non-BMW in future.

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »
A fair assessment, which I would agree with happily in respect of the F850GS.
 I cannot compare with the F700/800 series.

A good bike but not worth the expense of buying another new one.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »
I have to agree with a majority of the points.

-Neutral is hard to find. Going from 2nd to N is easier than from 1st to N. My 1999 Vulcan Drifter had perfect (literally) neutral finder. Why can't that be replicated here?
-Buffeting is bad, and especially with a peaked helmet. But since I like going off-road a bit more, it's less of a concern.
-Compared to the 790ADV-R, everything is top heavy, especially the 850GS. A buddy's R1200GS, although way heaver, feels more manageable at first glance/ride. However, this may probably only be a 'first impression' thing. But on the other hand, a lot of riding is also mentality and psychology.
-The pegs seem to be in a such a position under the tank, that I have to straddle the tank during standing if I want to have a slight bend at the knees. The R1200GS's pegs are right under the thinnest part of the bike('s seat) and allows for a more natural standing-at-ready position.
-The engine does rattle. This is my first non-cruiser motorcycle. I recall the 790ADV-R also rattled on test drives. Buddy's R1200 also has a rattle. But the 850 seems ever so slightly different. I'm still getting use to it.
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 03:00:11 PM »
Some good reviews here, with a common theme developing. I've owned the 750GS and now own the 850GSA. Both bikes rattle, especially with the clutch lever disengaged - but BMW assures me that it's just a characteristic of the bike so I don't worry about it. I never found the 750 to be overly top-heavy, but the 850GSA certainly is. The trade-off is a 300 mile fuel range (due to the larger tank) and improved ergonomics for touring (due to the adjustable screen, wider fairings and comfort seat). The only time I struggle with the top-heavy weight is when I'm stationary on a camber, so better advanced planning is required.

Overall I enjoyed my 750GS for its nibble agility and filtering through traffic, and I like my 850GSA for its distance tourer ability, added power and spec, and improved weather protection.

Question is, would I own another BMW GS? Answer is I'm not sure, possibly not. I think I'd be tempted to look at the Kawasaki Versys 100SE Tourer next time. Or Triumph Tiger?

Offline Frozenfrog

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye Stylee
  • Town / City: Keighley-ish
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 02:43:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazza750 [+]
I had the standard BMW seat on my previous 750GS and found it became uncomfortable 1-2 hours. My 850GSA came with the upgraded comfort (gel) seat as standard which is better, but I still get fidgety after 2-3 hours. Both the Wunderlich or Sargent aftermarket touring seats look much comfier thank BMWs own seats - especially for longer journeys, but both are too expensive to buy without first knowing just how much more comfortable they really are.
Gazza, as youíre in Yorkshire you could try this guy in Huddersfield: https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/
He did my previous bikeís seat (F800GS) and it made a vast difference to comfort, plus it only cost about £120 (4 years ago now).... not a lot compared to a new seat.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 05:44:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frozenfrog [+]
Gazza, as youíre in Yorkshire you could try this guy in Huddersfield: https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/
He did my previous bikeís seat (F800GS) and it made a vast difference to comfort, plus it only cost about £120 (4 years ago now).... not a lot compared to a new seat.

Thanks mate, I've heard of this guy before, he's not a million miles away from either us 👍🏻

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
Iím still eyeing up the Wunderlich aktivkomfort seat but just cannot bring myself to pay nearly £400 to fix what the manufacturer should have got right in the first place :)

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 08:59:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Iím still eyeing up the Wunderlich aktivkomfort seat but just cannot bring myself to pay nearly £400 to fix what the manufacturer should have got right in the first place :)

£400 for an aftermarket bike seat? I can buy a 3-piece sofa set with interest free credit, cashback, free weekend break, and buy one get one free for less than £400! 😆😆

Offline talh

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 05:21:18 AM »
Have fun riding that sofa!  :015:

Paid $400 for a Sargent, and really happy with it. Night and day difference for long, 9 hour rides.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:22:26 AM by talh »

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
Most aftermarket seats are that price: Touratech, Sargent, Wunderlich etc. Plus the OEM seats are similar in price if you were to buy one (not sure why anyone would, except as a base to get the foam replaced).