Author Bike firmware upgrades - worth it?  (Read 4829 times)

• Offline Grizzlie   pl

• GS Pro  ‐    161

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
    • No time for mediocrity
    • Bike: BMW F850GS
    • Town / City: Białystok
    Re: Bike firmware upgrades - worth it?
    Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2022, 10.11 pm
    Aug 01, 2022, 10.11 pm
    Yeah, I've heard about the long time it takes and you literally can't breathe near the bike :/

• Online SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    730

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2022, 11.10 pm
    Aug 01, 2022, 11.10 pm
    I am pretty sure I have commented on and shared my experience on this subject previously but for those new to the "Connectivity Issues" I will share updated information and opinion.
    We purchased our 2019 model year bikes early in 2020. Coming off a 2013 800 GS I was looking forward to the updated technology as well as having a previously unmolested bike.

My original set up was an Android Pixel 2 XL and a Sena SM5FM along with the new Nav6 I bought with the bike in order to take advantage of the connectivity of that to the bike as well.
    I went through and paired everything one at a time in no particular order since BMW did not specify a pairing order in the manual. This was a recipe for problems... I complained to BMW through the Connected App feedback and was surprised to not only get a response from BMW but a follow up from my dealer asking me to bring the bike in for a software update.
    The problem I was having is that on first start of the day everything would connect with no problem but after a stop and restart the Sena would not reconnect.
    After pairing in the recommended order the connectivity was marginally better but still unsatisfactory.

THE BIKE WAS NOT CONNECTING AS ADVERTISED! (Key phrase to use when communicating with your dealer or BMW)

After many trial and error attempts to resolve the issue I decided to ditch my oldest tech which at the time was the Sena 5... I informed my dealer that if I spent $300 on a Sena SRL system and the Connectivity still had issues I would be looking to ditch the bikes.
    I bit the bullet and bought the Sena SRL but still had issues...
    After a year or two of dealing with connections after a restart either after a fuel or lunch stop I finally upgraded my phone to a Pixel 6 Pro and 90% of the issues have gone away and I am happy with the connectivity again.

Bottom line is if you do not have the latest BT versions on your devices you need to update your equipment to equipment that has the latest BT versions.

• Offline Boro8907   nz

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline Boro8907

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA
    • Town / City: Auckland
    Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2022, 11.34 pm
    Aug 01, 2022, 11.34 pm
    Thanks for that story.
    Hopefully things have improved as I haven't even been out on the bike since I set it all up, but did see everything working via the app and routes coming up on the screen and music playing.

Having a fairly recent phone (Samsung S20) and headset (Sena 20s), I'm hopefully the bluetooth versions/gods will align.

• Offline Shark 17   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    8

Offline Shark 17

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: 21 F 850 GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Manchester, NH
    Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2022, 01.50 am
    Aug 11, 2022, 01.50 am
    Hopefully they are telling me the truth.
     My dealer in N.H. said after asking for update on my first service on 21 850 GS told me the first thing they do is plug it in and check for updates.
    As far as connectivity issues check out
    &t=2822s
    aMaySing Life is the author.

• Online purds   gb

• GS Member  ‐    42

Online purds

• GS Member
    • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
    Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2022, 03.44 pm
    Aug 11, 2022, 03.44 pm
    My experience in UK is if you tell the dealer you are having BT issues they will update it for free.
    Even with all updates I don't bother going through TFT as it disables many of my Packtalk Bold voice instructions and 'Hey Siri' will never work.
    Connecting headset direct to phone works perfectly with the Packtalk voice control working flawlessly.
    I use a card in Nav 6 for storing and playing music which also works flawlessly.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    132

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2022, 09.50 pm
    Aug 11, 2022, 09.50 pm
    I know this will be a controversial observation butÖ

Guys, itís a bike not a communication hub  :152: :152: :152:

• GS Master  ‐    730

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2022, 11.05 pm
    Aug 11, 2022, 11.05 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
    I know this will be a controversial observation butÖ

Guys, itís a bike not a communication hub  :152: :152: :152:

Yeah But...
    It was advertised as a communication hub... Buyers should expect ALL of the features advertised will function AS advertised.

Buying a product that is advertised as the latest and greatest which turns out to be not so is false advertising (At least here in the States) where consumers are able to sue for resolution or force the manufacturer to buy the defective merchandise back.
    We have "Lemon Laws" here where if you present a vehicle to a dealer three times for the same problem and do not get resolution the manufacturer is required to buy the vehicle back at the price you paid PLUS retribution for any undo trips to the dealer to tray and rectify the problem. If you hire a good lawyer you can receive thousands in damages as well.   

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    132

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2022, 09.20 am
    Aug 12, 2022, 09.20 am
    *Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
    Yeah But...
    It was advertised as a communication hub... Buyers should expect ALL of the features advertised will function AS advertised.

Buying a product that is advertised as the latest and greatest which turns out to be not so is false advertising (At least here in the States) where consumers are able to sue for resolution or force the manufacturer to buy the defective merchandise back.
    We have "Lemon Laws" here where if you present a vehicle to a dealer three times for the same problem and do not get resolution the manufacturer is required to buy the vehicle back at the price you paid PLUS retribution for any undo trips to the dealer to tray and rectify the problem. If you hire a good lawyer you can receive thousands in damages as well.

And therein lies one of the essential differences between our great nations.  Thousands in damages because the ashtray rattles  :008: :008:  :008:

I have yet to have a vehicle (car or bike) where all the electronic communication functionality works faultlessly - including a near £100k Range Rover that canít connect to Waze.

The underlying issue is simple to explain but hard to rectify.  Itís all about the interface with peripheral, 3rd-party devices.  If huge car manufacturers canít crack it, what chance have bike makers who have much smaller volumes, much smaller budgets and a much wider range of peripherals to deal with.

Oddly, the best vehicle Iíve ever had in this respect has been my Ducati Multistrada V4S.  A Ducati with reliable electrics - whoíd have believed that one?

:152: :152: :152:

• GS Master  ‐    730

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    Reply #18 on: Aug 12, 2022, 01.21 pm
    Aug 12, 2022, 01.21 pm
    I will say it was quite frustrating when I first got the bike but after updating the Firmware, Phone App (Android), Headset (Sena 5 to Sena SRL) and finally my Phone it's self (Pixel 2XL to Pixel 6 Pro) it has slowly gone from frustrating to Very Good although occasionally the headset does not connect after a fuel or lunch stop.