BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: GSA brake pedal lesson  (Read 557 times)

Offline WHS

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F850GSA
  • Town / City: Waitsburg
GSA brake pedal lesson
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »
Hello all, just wanted to share something that I experienced with my 19' GSA.   I started having intermittent issues with my cruise control kicking out and it was getting a little frustrating.   Then while out an adventure ride with my buddy, he told me my brake light was flickering on/off a lot while riding down the highway.   Hmmm.... I began to wonder and then on the trip home I got a warning light about my brake light.   So as I was checking, I noticed something.   First off, my bike has the adjustable brake pedal lever with the flip down for when you are off road and standing a lot.   I put it down once, and left it that way.   What I discovered was this.   When going on adventure rides, I wear my Forma boots and when traveling down the highway, my boot would rest ever so slightly on the pedal and anytime i bounced it would bump down on the lever, disengaging the cruise and making the brake light flicker.   It was because my buddy told me about the flickering light even when I was not running on cruise that I was able to figure it out.   Lifted the flip down back up and wa-la! problem solved. 

Fred

Offline RadioFlyer

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Pakenham
Re: GSA brake pedal lesson
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
Voila.

Offline Mnmadeira

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F750GS
  • Town / City: Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »
I read that there is a factory recall for this problem. Contact a dealer.

Offline WHS

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F850GSA
  • Town / City: Waitsburg
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 03:29:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mnmadeira [+]
I read that there is a factory recall for this problem. Contact a dealer.

That is for a different issue, a flashing brake light when the brakes are applied as opposed to a solid.   In the US this is not legal, so they have to fix it.  At least that is how I read it. 

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
I have done the same thing a couple times before I figured out the cause. I was cruising along on a longer highway section and stretched my legs a bit when the cruise cut out. Reset and continued on, then same thing again later. finally figured out I was hitting the pedal when I stretched. Now I just point my toe outward a bit more.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »
Good to know, thanks for sharing 👍🏻