BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Poll

Which screen do you use

Standard
3 (14.3%)
Adventure
3 (14.3%)
Givi Airflow
4 (19%)
Other Givi
0 (0%)
Toratech
1 (4.8%)
Madstad
4 (19%)
Wunderlich
2 (9.5%)
Different brand
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Screen Questions again  (Read 498 times)

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Essex
Screen Questions again
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:19:48 PM »
I'd have liked to install a Poll but can't see how to do that  :138:

What aftermarket screen(s) have you fitted and are you happy with it?

A one-line response as to how it improved your riding and any negatives discovered?

What is your torso height?

The hope is the information gathered here, will benefit all new as well as existing owners.

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
Re: Screen Questions again
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:46:59 PM »
Givi Airflow screen,  - 6ft rider and it is adjustable up and down over a good range. Don't know my torso height

No buffeting for me up high and plenty of wind when low to blow rain off visor.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • GS Pro
  • Town / City: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
I'd have liked to install a Poll but can't see how to do that 

FYI - Click on New Poll (instead of New Topic) button. It will still create a new topic as part of the poll.

:821:

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
 :491: Poll added!

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 12:14:47 AM »
Iím all for a poll but think one question could be very misleading as the most popular could be the cheapest and worst. Then lead people in the wrong direction.

I agree it should be which screen, torso height and are you happy with it
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted

Offline Bubba

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Canonsburg
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 03:33:09 AM »
16" MadStad on my F750GS, can be adjusted up 2" making it 18" for highway riding or cold weather and @ 5'7" it's perfect for me, really love the quality and it's the best looking MadStad I've owned since that is the knock on MadStad that they're real ugly, extremely functional since can be adjusted up, down, back and forward, the side winglets are a nice touch too.  I'll try to upload some pics.

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 07:29:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tioli [+]
Iím all for a poll but think one question could be very misleading as the most popular could be the cheapest and worst. Then lead people in the wrong direction.

I agree it should be which screen, torso height and are you happy with it

I do agree with you, but it does seem a lot of this forums users donít actively participate, I donít know why, you all seem a friendly bunch and we have a common interest. So I thought we could could at least get a better idea of what people have, whether they bought because it was cheap or because it was the best solution for their circumstances, we will probably never know. The problem with screens is you canít try before you buy and there not cheap so you can easily end up wasting a lot of money on something that actually makes the situation worse. Letís be honest most people donít get the difference between height and torso length.

My current options under consideration are the Givi Airflow, the cheapest by a long way. The Adventure screen and height adjusting mechanism, not at all cheap, but will look stock or a Wunderlich Marathon screen with the lift and tilt mechanism, about the same price as the Adventure set up, but gives more adjustability and includes a centre bracket to mount my phone.

Online BeaglesWelwyn

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Sport
  • Town / City: Welwyn
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
Having read many reviews and comments, I opted for and fitted the 20 ins Madstad Screen and adjustable bracket. Not a cheap option but seems to work well for me (5 ft 11 ins tall)

Offline Darranna

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by BeaglesWelwyn [+]
Having read many reviews and comments, I opted for and fitted the 20 ins Madstad Screen and adjustable bracket. Not a cheap option but seems to work well for me (5 ft 11 ins tall)

Can you post a picture of your fitted screen, all the Madstads Iíve seen are not the best looking (Iím being kind here) 😉 and do you know your torso length?

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »
I opted for the tinted Powerbronze item. A very nice looking screen. Definitely provided a greater degree of weather protection, but created more buffeting around my peaked helmet. However, with the addition now of the Wunderlich screen adjustment bracket, the screen can be adjusted for height and angle to provide the sweet spot sought. As you say, the central bracing, adjustment bar proves the perfect spot to add the above instrument satnav mount. Works for me at just below 6'.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:20:50 AM by tomcat »
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!