BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Accessory power plugs  (Read 193 times)

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
Accessory power plugs
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
I needed a couple additional power plugs on my GSA, one for my heated jacket and another for accessories such as my air pump and battery tender. I had picked up a Hex EZCan to use to power them, but discovered that while it would work fine for the heated jacket plug, the other plug I wanted to remain on all the time, not switched. Thus I ended up going old school with a simple fuse block powered directly from the battery.

I did not want anything large and opted for a WeatherPac sealed three place fuse holder. I chose to mount it back under the fender by the alarm module where it is easy to access to check/change the fuses, but is not in the way of things. I am only using two places, one for each outlet, the third is available for any future need that may arise. The positive lead is protected with a fusible link at the battery.

The plugs are located on the left side, the jacket plug is a coax connector and I mounted it up on the lower fairing where it is easy to access when seated, but does not cause the cord to interfere with my riding position. The accessory plug is a sealed SAE type and is located on the side panel above the foot peg.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:33:28 PM by MCMXCIVRS »

Offline talh

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
Re: Accessory power plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »
Very nice and clean! I did something similar with SAE connectors, but your solution is much more BMW-oriented.