BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hi everyone. New owner and wanting to build ultimate 850  (Read 276 times)

Offline Toby843

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: London
Hi everyone. New owner and wanting to build ultimate 850
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:44:31 PM »
Hi everyone. So after much deliberation and test riding I've finally pulled the trigger on an f850gs adventure.
I have the sports model with rally trim and the comfort and premium packs and full luggage.
What I'd like to know is what does everyone think about the best set ups for them?
Im interested in the little extras that people find useful. Things like how to set up my Tom Tom so it runs off the battery but doesn't drain it, heated clothing, phone charging, best screen and all the other little nick nacks that people love. Pics would be great as well. I want to try and build the ultimate bike for exploring and running all my kit.
I look forward to hearing what's out there

Offline Danic

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Singapore
Re: Hi everyone. New owner and wanting to build ultimate 850
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:21:58 PM »
Hi Toby,
i've been through this road to build the "ultimate" F850GS  :001: :001: :001:. It's been a very painfull and expensive process, therefore i'm going to post some of my modifications along with some tips to save you some $$$$
Great part of the itens you can buy from china. But some like the engine guards, windscreens and barback rises i recommend you to buy from good brands such as Wunderlich and Touratech. Enjoy the pictures and if you have any doubt, drop me a message.

Offline Si_Burnout

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »
Nice one,
could you make a list for everything you did to the bike?

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:25:04 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have some serious competition for the Ultimate F850G. Enjoy.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline Toby843

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »
Great pictures. I'd be interested to know what each part is.....

Offline Danic

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Singapore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Danic [+]
Hi Toby,
I've been through this road to build the "ultimate" F850GS for the past two years  :001: :001: :001:. It's been a very painfull and expensive process, therefore I'm going to post some of my modifications along with some tips to save you some serious cash $$$$
Most part of the items you can buy from china. But some like the engine guards, windscreens and barback rises i recommend you to buy from good brands such as Wendell and Tourate ch. Enjoy the pictures and if you have any doubt, drop me a message.

The Old F850GS did not come with an adjustable windscreen. You can buy now directly from your BMW dealer. For that you need an windshield adjustment p/n 46638562228 , four long screws p/n 07129907398 and in case you want to move your GPS to a position above the display, you also need an navigator holder p/n 65908544610
I've kept mine in the original position and installed an additional support for my mobile that you can find on eBay or amazon for a very affordable price.

The original brake and clutch levers are freaking expensive and they have a "shear" point that breaks every time the bike fall on the floor. I've installed a barkbusters 
hand guard for protection.

Protection Brake Fluid Reservoir Rear, For BMW F850GS/F850GS Adventure/F750G. You can buy this one from any Chinese site.

A fender extender is essential to keep your engine clean. You can also buy this one from any Chinese site. I've installed mine two years ago and it's still in very good condition, so don't bother to buy an expensive one.

The skid plate is a BMW original. In my opinion it covers a bigger area and protect better the exist pipes. I also added these exist pipe shields that you can adapt from offload motorcycles. These ones are from Touratech.

I've choose the Wunderlitch engine protection bars. For a F850GS they form a perfect set when you also install a fuel tank protection bars. It will protect the very expensive fairings around your fuel tank.
 http://HTTP://www.Wunderlitch.DE/shop/en/-26440-002-1. width=700 height=525]HTTP://images.850gs.com/88EAA2DA-A174-4FA1-96B4-E367CA10FBCF_1_105_c.jog[/img]

The fog lights are BMW original. I've chose them for a better integration to the light system. The fog light protection guards and the clamp that hold the fog lights are from China. You can easily find online.

This sidestand plate I've bought from Wunderlitch. You can easily find similar cheaper ones on eBay or amazon. It's one of the "essential" Mods. The bike is too heavy to park on the grass or mud without sink

Foldable and adjustable brake and clutch levers. As I've said before, the original ones are freaking expensive and break very easily. I've bought a pair of these for half of the price of the original levers.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:53:40 PM by Danic »