BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Need more low-end torque  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Sooty01

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Leeds
Re: Need more low-end torque
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 06:43:57 PM »
Matt,  I think it depends how you ride, I'm from the Norton 850 era where 3000rpm was racing speed. I had a couple of F800s which had similar charicteristic and would tootle about in 5th at 3000. It was a dissapointment to find the F750 needed more revs and I have never really adjusted to it. On the few occasions I have pushed it to 7000 before changing gear it's a real rocket but not my style.
I know it's reving  harder with a 16t sprocket but it gives me more overlap in the gear choice and allows me to run a higher gear ultimately lowering the revs without having to change down every hill or bend. I 100% recommend  trying it.
Ebay item no 113844980900 from JT sprockets. 2 day free delivery.

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »
Ah I see. I came to BMW twins from Japanese IL4s so used to revving a lot more. Took a while to get used to the slightly lumpy power delivery on the pre-LC boxers but never looked back. Took the 750 for a ride today and very happy. As I live in congested south-east UK I don’t much of a chance to use the potential of what used to be called a “big” engine and is now “mid-sized”! You are right  about gears - it’s not a bike where you ride a wave of torque. For me 30mph = 2nd, 40mph = 3rd, 50mph = 4th etc. Any higher on the gears and it feels a touch laboured   .

Offline doebag

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Norfolk Blood Biker
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
That's pretty much my experience with the 850.
I find 60mph in 4th the engine feels much more 'lively' and not laboured.
Max torque is at 6250rpm on the 850, it is definitely not an engine for lugging in the gears.
'Dying a'int much of a living' Outlaw Josey Wales