BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 850gs using oil  (Read 1788 times)

Online Wheelriding

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Huddersfield
Re: 850gs using oil
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by tomcat [+]
Alan Jefferies.
3rd bike I've purchased from there. Can't fault their service.
+1 on that. They are polite and helpful.

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2020, 12:38:41 PM »
I changed the oil on both of our bikes a few days ago and put in exactly the 3L that BMW calls for... After running the bikes until the fans came on and allowing them to sit about 5 minutes the oil level is right in the middle between the Min/Max marks as it should be...
The marks are NOT low and full the marks are Min/Max... the level should be in the middle when properly filled.
our bikes have 8,884 miles on them and I have never had to add oil between changes... I do change the oil at 2500-3000 miles because I feel shift quality drops off at around that mileage.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:39:20 PM by SnoDrtRider »
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »
I agree with you SnoDrtRider yet strangely I lean to wanting it to sit at the Max allowed level so every bit of oil is working hard.

If I top it up and go for a long ride and check the oil again it's half again so top it up to max again ride another long ride and it read half again. I did this repeatedly the dealer even put a load in eventually it blew the belly pan seal (well it wept) which culminated into me rejecting the bike.

Turns out It's in there just not wanting to read right as per strange relationship with top and bottom oil tanks  :087:

Now I know what it dose it's all good
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:45:57 PM by Tioli »

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 06:37:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
...After running the bikes until the fans came on and allowing them to sit about 5 minutes the oil level is right in the middle between the Min/Max marks as it should be. The marks are NOT low and full the marks are Min/Max... the level should be in the middle when properly filled.
What you're saying makes sense, thanks. Like Toli, I would top up the oil on my 750 after a good ride out only because the oil level always seemed to show half full. In hindsight I was probably over-filling it and causing potential problems - so eventually I got rid of the bike. Since swapping to the 850 I've been happy to see the oil level at half full as I've learned that half full is 'normal', and therefore never had to top it up.