Author Topic: 850gs using oil  (Read 21889 times)

• Offline tomcat   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    324

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
    Re: 850gs using oil
    Reply #70 on: Dec 08, 2020, 01.34 pm
    Dec 08, 2020, 01.34 pm
    *Originally Posted by Queestce [+]
    Okay, what the hell is going on, I don't understand this sump...

I rode the bike today and checked the oil on shutdown again. It's now reading FULL... I've not added any oil, and the ONLY difference between how I checked it last time and just now is that on this occasion is that after I hopped off I waited for the fan to kick in whilst it was idling, exactly as in the manual, before shutting it down. Last time I had heard the fan run toward the end of the ride and it was up near 100c so presumed that it was hot enough. Maybe that was my undoing and the fan action is somehow critical to getting oil back into the dry sump, I cannot imagine why that would be though?! Can anyone here shed any light?

To show it visually... Prior to both dips I 100% cleaned off the stick.

Sunday:

Today:

I've never felt so mechanically inept. Guess I'll do another test tomorrow... Coolant level seems stable so I don't think there any crossover issue.

It was booked in to go back to the shop for a check on Thursday, maybe I can avoid that  :020:

You fool. You haven't downloaded the very latest owners manual have you?
    It clearly describes differing procedures for checking oil on a week day as opposed to a weekend.  :038:
    Last Edit: Dec 08, 2020, 01.35 pm by tomcat
    If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

• Offline lasmia2   au

• GS Junior Member  ‐    5

Offline lasmia2

• GS Junior Member
    • Bike: 2019 BMW 850 Tour
    • Town / City: PERTH
    Reply #71 on: Mar 13, 2021, 10.37 am
    Mar 13, 2021, 10.37 am
    Okay after many months of testing etc , BMW are now flying a brand new engine to me as mine has been deemed undetermined oil use. BMW have dragged this out but have replaced the entire head believing it was a valve issue. Turns out it was not and it is undetermined why (or at least what I am being told) . Anyway I'm grateful of the BMW warranty! New engine should arrive in 3 weeks. Hopefully not assembled on a Friday afternoon before work drinks. Love the bike, extremely capable adventure bike. If the changing of the engine fixes the issue then I'm a fan! Not happy though about having to cancel multiple trips with the groups I ride with. Just could not rely on the engine even if I did (which I would not) have the space for the extra oil traversing Australia. At the rate I was burning under normal commuting I would need to have a extra 16 liters carried on me to get to the East coast via the North. Very few places in the outback sell the grade of oil required/recommended by BMW.
    Hope this is a one off and everyone else is enjoying these awesome bikes.

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    305

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 850 GS
    • Town / City: Bellingham
    Reply #72 on: Mar 15, 2021, 07.22 pm
    Mar 15, 2021, 07.22 pm
    *Originally Posted by lasmia2 [+]
    Okay after many months of testing etc , BMW are now flying a brand new engine to me as mine has been deemed undetermined oil use. BMW have dragged this out but have replaced the entire head believing it was a valve issue. Turns out it was not and it is undetermined why (or at least what I am being told) . Anyway I'm grateful of the BMW warranty! New engine should arrive in 3 weeks. Hopefully not assembled on a Friday afternoon before work drinks. Love the bike, extremely capable adventure bike. If the changing of the engine fixes the issue then I'm a fan! Not happy though about having to cancel multiple trips with the groups I ride with. Just could not rely on the engine even if I did (which I would not) have the space for the extra oil traversing Australia. At the rate I was burning under normal commuting I would need to have a extra 16 liters carried on me to get to the East coast via the North. Very few places in the outback sell the grade of oil required/recommended by BMW.
    Hope this is a one off and everyone else is enjoying these awesome bikes.
    2019 with 11000 miles logged, no significant change in engine behavior despite some crashes.

• Offline NashVegasBob   us

• GS Junior Member  ‐    4

Offline NashVegasBob

• GS Junior Member
    • Bike: F850gs
    • Town / City: Nashville
    Reply #73 on: May 31, 2021, 03.01 pm
    May 31, 2021, 03.01 pm
    I donít think this is a one off.  My 2019 f850gs went in for its 12000 mile service and then used more than 2 quarts of oil in about 2000 miles. I took it to my dealer in Chattanooga Tennessee and they checked it out. My dealer treated me very well but it took 6 months before I got the bike back. I had noticed just before the 12000 mile service that the engine was making a lot of valve clatter. It did the same 2000 miles after the service. The dealer replaced the head, and the camshafts because of excessive wear. It is not using oil now after running another 2000 miles. To check the oil I have found that I need to run it, on the center stand, till the fan comes on and then another 2 minutes to get an accurate reading just as described in the manual. This is a pain but it is the only way to see the actual oil level. Iím watching this like a hawk now. My f800 GT has never used oil. My Africa twin uses no oil. My advice is to pay close attention and get any work you need done during the warranty period. What I find very problematic is that there is no warning light to indicate a dangerously low oil level. 2 quarts is half the capacity of this engine. I would appreciate hearing from others about their experience. Apart from this problem I really enjoy riding this bike.
    NashVegasBob

• Offline lasmia2   au

Offline lasmia2

• GS Junior Member
    • Bike: 2019 BMW 850 Tour
    • Town / City: PERTH
    Reply #74 on: Jun 01, 2021, 12.50 am
    Jun 01, 2021, 12.50 am
    Since new engine installed I have done 2000Km of mainly mud/sand riding and it has not used a drop of oil. Original must of been a Friday afternoon build.

• Offline Ablack   gb

Offline Ablack

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #75 on: Jun 13, 2021, 08.35 am
    Jun 13, 2021, 08.35 am
    *Originally Posted by 850dk [+]
    Hi
    My 850gs use 0.5 liter of oil for every 1500km
    Is that normal ?
    I was thinking of takeing the bike on a long trip to mongolia , but carrying alot of extra oil is not something i want .
    Please see the below post I put up. Mine had the same issue and they gave me a new engine under warranty.
    https://www.850gs.com/index.php/topic,1162.0.html

• Offline dirtspin   au

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline dirtspin

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA Rallye
    • Town / City: Wollongong NSW
    Reply #76 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07.43 am
    Jan 27, 2022, 07.43 am
    *Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
    Sorry to tell you this, but your assumption that the oil pressure must have been OK if there is no oil pressure light on, is not correct. The reason is very simple. Neither the F750GS nor the F850 is equipped with an oil pressure sensor, so there is no light which could come on to warn you. The only "oil level sensor" is the  dipstick.
    I queried my local BMW service manager with this assertion.
    He assured me there is a red or orange warning light to notify of low oil pressure.
    I am now trying to locate a parts list or drawing to see if I can locate an oil pressure sensor, or a list of  the total warnings that the display is capable of showing.

better