BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Dynamic ESA - First thoughts..  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
Re: Dynamic ESA - First thoughts..
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 02:23:27 AM »
I bought the stock, and have to say the manual shocks that came with the 850 GS is almost as good as the ESA from the k16.

Offline jevijavi

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Santo Domingo
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »
for offroading.  I normally ride in ENDURO PRO.  Is there a way to make the suspension softer?
If I change the preload settings, what is the softest setting?  1 Rider (helmet) or 2 rider (helmet) setting?

thanks

Online netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 05:43:22 AM »
The 2 helmet mode basically sets the bike up to compensate for the extra load, trying to mimic as if you were riding one up. It's really more about suspension travel than stiffness. What may help is to play around with different riding modes as those correlate directly with damping. But I guess the first question I have for you is how is the bike handling off-road and how would you rather have it behave?

I ride mine off-road about 50%, I weigh 165 with gear and I find the rear suspension to be amazing in enduro-pro mode. I also like the front suspension, but not for rocky/technical stretches. It's a bit soft, but it sure soaks up the bumps, on the flip side it's very prone to bottoming out. If I could change something it would be adding aftermarket cartridges to the front forks to increase damping.

Last question; are you standing most of the time while riding off-road?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:01:19 AM by netaron »

Offline jevijavi

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Santo Domingo
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
i'm 185 lbs.  And Yes, most of the time that I am Riding off road, I am seated.   I just purchased touratech foot pegs and handle bar risers.  That will allow me to ride more comfortably standing up.  But still, I feel that on ROCKY stuff on ENDURO PRO mode the ride is a tad on the stiff side.  For comparison, I rode a 2017 Africa twin.  And found that it was a bit more comfy on the rocky stuff.  Which I would prefer.

I read somewhere on the internet. That 2 helmet mode helps in making the ride feel softer when offroading.  Wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this.  Won't be able to confirm this until I go offroad again...

Online netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
Yes, I would say that it makes sense as the 2-up mode does raise the suspension hence more travel for just one rider. Definitely give it a shot, can't beat the price.

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by jevijavi [+]
i'm 185 lbs.  And Yes, most of the time that I am Riding off road, I am seated.   I just purchased touratech foot pegs and handle bar risers.  That will allow me to ride more comfortably standing up.  But still, I feel that on ROCKY stuff on ENDURO PRO mode the ride is a tad on the stiff side.  For comparison, I rode a 2017 Africa twin.  And found that it was a bit more comfy on the rocky stuff.  Which I would prefer.

I read somewhere on the internet. That 2 helmet mode helps in making the ride feel softer when offroading.  Wanted to hear other people's thoughts on this.  Won't be able to confirm this until I go offroad again...

Changing the ride mode will adjust pre-load and travel to some extent, not sure how that equates to a softer ride.

Offline woodsguy

• GS Member
  • Bike: 850GS
  • Town / City: Huntsville, Tx
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »
I've only got about 800 miles on my bike. Just did the 600 mile service so took it out yesterday for a little more serious riding. I have the ESA, first disappointed it does nothing for the front, oh well. For street riding it all seems pretty good. We rode yesterday, (KTM 690 and 790 standard) and hit some of our faster dirt roads. 45 mph and up. Yesterday roads were very dry and hard like concrete but very rough. I do not like the forks on hard hits (think pot holes) and stutter bumps out of turns. Other stuff it was ok. Most of the time I'm standing, we 're riding pretty aggressive yesterday, probably more so than this bike was meant for. The majority of the time I won't be doing that. But the fork is still unacceptable so I did to improve on it, without breaking the bank!
2019 BMW GS850, 2019 Husqvarna TE300

Online netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »
I agree with your findings, the forks in stock form are definitely geared toward easy to intermediate stuff. I've had the Andreani cartridges on other bikes and liked them a lot for the price, so that is a good possibility on my end. I came close to getting the 790 Adv R, I still think about it from time to time, but from looking at the gs, I'm constantly reminded of how many things she does so well. I've ridden 800 pavement mile days on her with packed panniers, taken her to the track (with panniers;), ridden 2-up all day with the wifey, ventured in fast twisties with friends on much faster bikes, and take her to the dirt almost every weekend, so to me the gs has been a phenomenal all around bike. And now I get to play with the free BMW connect software which has improved drastically with the latest version, for those that haven't used it, unfortunately you need the TFT display in order for it to work. It's basically a data logger that also maps out your ride with lean angle, speed etc. and your recorded ride file can be saved/shared as gpx or you can upload gpx fiels to your phone and go ride, very kool!

Offline woodsguy

• GS Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »
Please don't get me wrong, love the bike and it'll fit my needs just fine. I'll use it almost daily as a commuter to work, I needed a bike I could comfortably ride to Arkansas, ride the off pavement stuff I like to do and then ride it home, bust some local dirt roads with friends like yesterday, and just cruise the hi ways. It'll do just fine!

Offline woodsguy

• GS Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
"And now I get to play with the free BMW connect software which has improved drastically with the latest version, for those that haven't used it, unfortunately you need the TFT display in order for it to work. It's basically a data logger that also maps out your ride with lean angle, speed etc. and your recorded ride file can be saved/shared as gpx or you can upload gpx fiels to your phone and go ride, very kool!"

Need to learn more about this!