BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Dynamic ESA - First thoughts..  (Read 2017 times)

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: Dynamic ESA - First thoughts..
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »
I weigh 180-190 Lbs close enough to 85Kg to call it the same... I can see where someone who weighs less @ 170 Lbs could experience a bouncy ride at times with the suspension set on road. Perhaps a lighter spring could be fit for your weight.
If you have side cases try loading them up with about 10-15 lbs of weight and see if that works better... that would tell you if you are headed in the right direction as far as spring rate.
You could even do it with a bag strapped to the rack.

Keep in mind the suspension is dynamic and and adjusts to your riding style. The first time I rode mine it was pretty harsh in "Road" mode but after about 50-75 miles seemed softer.
Same thing happened when I loaded the bike for a trip for the first time and selected rider with luggage. The bike seemed harsh for 30-40 miles then softened up. When I got back and switched back to rider w/ no luggage it was harsh the first time I rode it again then softened up.
It is possible that the bike is sensing your normal riding habits and softens up and when you get aggressive it may take a while for the suspension to compensate... Or I could be imagining all of this!
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline listener

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Cologne
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »
I own Dynamic ESA F850GS, So far my experience is that Road is really good for nice and comfy ride around city its perfectly nice to soak up all bumps and on open road if you are not pushing it its for relaxed drive. Dynamic is great when you want to push it and hit the twisties and drive a little bit more aggressive. Rain and Enduro I have yet to try. There is clear difference between Road and Dynamic they are made for two different riding styles.

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
With only a few hundred miles so far, it's still too early to tell, but so far I have not complaints about ESA. I had it on my previous bike for both front and rear, once I understood how it worked, it was the plushest suspension I've felt. The way my old bike worked is the rear received information from the front sensor, so it was able to cope with an upcoming bump. How does the 850GS ESA work, does it have a front sensor??

Offline stonehenge

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Salisbury
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by stonehenge [+]
ESA on a 1200 makes sense and work well as it changes both the front and rear.  On the 750/850, it is on the rear only; thus the dynamic aspect can only work on the rear and not influence or change the front at all.  The standard 750 suspension is supple and well damped.

OK - I was wrong  :430: the rear only ESA on my F850GSA is great and changes to the settings makes a huge difference to the bike overall, including controlling the front end.  No it doesn't have a front sensor and is passive to how the Dynamic bit works, but works as well as the rear shock on the R1200GSA I had.  Perhaps better.  The front forks on the 850 seem to be of good quality and I am surprised how good they are.

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F 850 GSA
  • Town / City: Orlando
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 02:46:48 PM »
I really like having it in mine... Road setting is too bouncy.  As soon as I am on the move I switch over to Dynamic then switch back to Road when coming to a stop (not tall and I benefit from as much lowering as I can get)
Ride safe!
Wachuko
2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Offline Matty589

• GS Member
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
850GS without ESA is quite bouncy when seated but I have lower suspension mode and it soaks up bumps better than almost any bike Iíve owned. I am only 70Kg so Iíve previously found ESA on larger bikes harsh and underdamped, probably because theyíre set up for a heavier rider. I have no problem with front or rear suspension on the 850. I am very impressed with the overall package and it is a definite improvement on the F700/800 series - thereís even a decent space under he rear seat for a puncture repair kit!

Offline GSMartin

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS Sport
  • Town / City: Hambleton
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »
OK - I was wrong  :430: the rear only ESA on my F850GSA is great and changes to the settings makes a huge difference to the bike overall, including controlling the front end.  No it doesn't have a front sensor and is passive to how the Dynamic bit works, but works as well as the rear shock on the R1200GSA I had.  Perhaps better.  The front forks on the 850 seem to be of good quality and I am surprised how good they are.

I did some intensive riding this last week over a variety of surfaces and weight on the bike and the ESA worked really well even on my GS750 which has conventional way round forks. In dynamic mode one up riding and with full luggage, did not put a wheel wrong.

Offline Matty589

• GS Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »
Ive got an F850GS with lowered manual suspension and an F750GS with ESA. Ridden back to back there is very little difference. There is a touch less squat at the rear under heavy acceleration with the ESA but itís very subtle. I never ride with a pillion and donít find a few twists of the preload when adding luggage so not bothered either way. I do believe that the suspension is better quality, both manual and ESA, than any of the 700/800ís Iíve  owned.