BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Too short; damaged bike. Humble pie galore...  (Read 1844 times)

Offline HartiganH

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
Re: Too short; damaged bike. Humble pie galore...
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 11:56:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gazza750 [+]
Sorry to hear that! That's gut-wrenching news. I hope they caught the ***** who stole it, and the damage is minimal. Was it taken from a secure location and did it have security devices fitted at the time?

Thanks Gazza, really appreciate it.

Won't be able to comment on the police as it's an ongong investigation. As for the damage, they cut one of the front brake discs to get the (expensive) disc lock off. When it wouldn't slide off they broke the lock (somehow). Looks like they made quick work of the post it was chained to as well. Engine bolts missing as they tried to disassemble the bike (cops arrived just in time). Wiring is all ###ed as they disconnected battery and systems willy nilly to disable tracker.

So even though it was fully secured, chained, locked, and covered, the fact that it was parked on a road for two nights in a row was enough.

No more... time to always store in a secure garage other than when travelling.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by HartiganH [+]
Thanks Gazza, really appreciate it.

...As for the damage, they cut one of the front brake discs to get the (expensive) disc lock off. When it wouldn't slide off they broke the lock (somehow). Looks like they made quick work of the post it was chained to as well. Engine bolts missing as they tried to disassemble the bike (cops arrived just in time). Wiring is all ###ed as they disconnected battery and systems willy nilly to disable tracker.

So even though it was fully secured, chained, locked, and covered, the fact that it was parked on a road for two nights in a row was enough.

Just proves that even the best security won't deter a committed and determined thief - it does sound like it made it harder for them. I hope your bike gets fully repaired without issue, and you can locate somewhere safe and secure off the road to park it when it's fixed. Good luck!

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by HartiganH [+]
Update: Bike was nicked this morning. Managed to recover it with the help of the police and tracker, but it's taken damage as the c**ts went after the electrics and tracker while also trying to (I assume) remove the engine. Will have to get it repaired now.

It's been a very intense 10 days of ownership.  :190:

Also, I self-installed the clutch and front brake lever replacements. Quite pleased with that. Too bad everything has to get inspected and possibly serviced now. So expensive!
I've heard that is a serious issue for bike owners in London, lot of bike theft.

Offline HartiganH

• GS Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 12:30:40 PM »
Well gents, it's been a pleasure. Insurance is writing off the bike entirely. Aside from losing the 850, I am also going to be out of pocket about £4k total due to the high excess, security devices that were damaged, cost of the policy (non-refundable) and incidentals.

It's been great to briefly know you all. I owned an 850gs for 10 days, but at least I get to say that I once owned one.

Won't be riding for a while as I need to sort through the cost fo this.

All the best,

H

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that. One of the reasons I won’t live/stay in London. Anything visible or nice seems to be in the grips of professional, organised thieves. I’d hoped that the 750/850 are less desirable but I think they’ll go after anything of value.
Hope you get biking again soon.

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »
Sorry  H I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Thank you for sharing it’s a memorable experience.
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn I’d rather be gifted

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 02:43:32 PM »
That truly sucks, I am sorry top hear that. I hope that you are able to sort it out and able to ride again soon. pretty lucky where I live we do not have a huge problem with bike theft. Sounds like it is pretty rampant in London and you cant even shoot the buggers.
Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Hardly a good first biking experience for you, but I genuinely hope you get back on a bike again soon, and don't let the thieving t***s put you off. Maybe move away from London and keep the bike pick up in a garage might be a good idea... 👍🏻

Offline rosed777

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Southampton
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »
HartiganH,

Very big of you to start this thread in the first place, huge respect to you for that.

Really gutted for you, what a crap few weeks.

Two Points:

1. Can you buy your "written off" bike back from the insurance company for the amount they will pay you? I don't know much about this but it might be a way of getting your bike back.

2. I have a 750 because the 850 was too high. I love it but even the 750 is a bit high for me and I've dropped it twice but got away without body damage - then fitted the Givi crash bars. On the 750 I was on the balls of my feet when stopped until:

May sound crazy but a game changer for me was 2 things

1. Buying these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KTALG2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

2. Shifting my arse to the left as/when I stopped so my left foot is flat (tip for shorter riders from youtube)

Really hope you get back on two wheels.

750GS is a blast

Offline HartiganH

• GS Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 09:41:27 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. I wish I had signed up to this forum for some advice prior to embarking on this fiasco...!

As the bike is now gone I have some 850gs gear to sell which maybe someone here might be interested in. Both of these are brand new:
1. Touratech Crash Bars (unused)
2. Normal height seat (unused)

If anyone is interested please PM me. I can arrange shipping.

By way of an update, I've not yet been able to resolve everything with insurance. Despite the fact that the bike was taken from a public road over a few miles from where it was registered to be kept overnight, the insurer is asking for proof that I normally keep it in a Garage. I can provide this but not at the moment due to the fact that the garage is located within a business carpark that is now closed thanks to COVID. They are refusing to budge on this requirement. It makes no sense to me! I could see how they would ask the question if it was taken close to the regular place of being kept (i.e. "why didn't you put it in your garage that night?") but whether or not it was normally stored in a  garage overnight is irrelevant if it is taken from a different location miles away. The point of bikes is to travel, it's to move around. They are being difficult.

I am also unable to fulfill the requirement they have to share my driving licence code with them using DVLA's portal. This is probably because DVLA looks up the name of the driver against an HMRC database using your NI - I have a long name which doesn't get registered the right way very often, so the online portal never works for me. I've called DVLA and emailed them but, again, due to COVID, they are not answering their phones or emails. The whole of DVLA! Madness. I've told the insurer and they have told me that I simply have to wait for DVLA to go back to work. When the hell will that be?

The other problem I have is that they are forcing me to pay the £2k excess, even though this is not an accident and I am not at 'fault'. I guess it's because the police didn't find the guys who damaged the bike. What this means is that even if I do claim I will be set back for £500 for the policy, £2k for the excess, £120 for BMW's estimate for repairs (which the Insurer ended up not covering) plus the loss of the costs invested in the gear above, new levers, etc. Cost to repair the bike according to BMW would be £3.5k so it's still less than that, but this is crazy.

Long and short of it, I spent close to £10k on a 850gs in May and will not see that money back. I might see £7k back sometime in October when DVLA re-opens. Maybe.

###!