Author Buffeting (helmets and Windscreen advice needed)  (Read 21946 times)

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    523

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2019 F750GS
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Re: Buffeting (helmets and Windscreen advice needed)
    Reply #60 on: Apr 02, 2021, 08.29 pm
    Apr 02, 2021, 08.29 pm
    Yes, my 750 now has about 5600 miles and the Anakee 3s have started to square off. Now Iím able to ride in relative calm, they donít half make a racket. Not as bad as on the 1200GS but still pretty noisy. I guess the turbulence was muffling the sound.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    129

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #61 on: Apr 02, 2021, 08.42 pm
    Apr 02, 2021, 08.42 pm
    Exactly. I guess the moral of the story is be careful what you wish for 🤣🤣🤣

PS it must take real skill to design tyres that whistle as much as the Anakee 3s...

• Online SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    706

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #62 on: Apr 02, 2021, 11.03 pm
    Apr 02, 2021, 11.03 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
    So,  just back from a 200 mile ride - first decent trip since December!

The good news is that the addition of the MRA X-Screen spoiler to the top of the BMW touring screen has cured the buffeting.  My head is now in a nice pocket of clean air.  I could do with eliminating some of the wind that spills round the sides of the screen which does still make more noise than I'd like.

It must be a huge improvement though as now I can hear the dreadful whistling noise that the crappy OEM Anakee 3 tyres make...

Do like the Harley Riders do... Install some loud pipes to mask the noises of the bikes rattling apart...

• Offline Net   gr

• GS Member  ‐    20

Offline Net

• GS Member
    • Ride alone or with us
    • Bike: F850 GS adventure
    • Town / City: Perama
    Reply #63 on: Mar 11, 2022, 04.15 pm
    Mar 11, 2022, 04.15 pm
    Took the 850GS 40th out for the first time today. Itís got the BMW touring/taller screen, screen adjuster and high-level satnav.

No buffeting but strong airflow right into my eyes on high setting or chin on low.

Have fitted a laminar lip/deflector and will try again this week.

Sorry for digging, can you share some photos with the laminar lip/deflector????

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    129

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #64 on: Mar 11, 2022, 04.33 pm
    Mar 11, 2022, 04.33 pm
    *Originally Posted by Net [+]
    Sorry for digging, can you share some photos with the laminar lip/deflector????

Sorry - bike is in storage at the moment.  I can tell you that it solved the problem though (for me at least).

• Offline Ziggy   us

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Ziggy

• GS Member
    Reply #65 on: Mar 11, 2022, 04.40 pm
    Mar 11, 2022, 04.40 pm
    I posted this earlier... but I had the BMW Touring (large) screen and the BMW two position adjuster... and it worked very well (no buffeting) but it was never quite enough protection for highway riding. I then installed the Madstad screen and at first I felt the BMW setup was better until I changed both the height and angle of the Madstad screen using the Madstad adjustable mount. I now have really clean no buffeting air hitting right at the top of my helmet and conveniently right at the helmet vent (freeway legal and beyond speeds). If I tip my head down just a bit I can hear and feel the wind going over the top of my helmet so I have it perfectly set to hit my helmet vent (really noticeable on a hot day). I think the adjustability is the key and angle is way under rated... for me the angle was the key to clean air. I set the height at the maximum and it was not clean. I lowered the height and changed the angle until it was clean and smooth. I am a very big fan of the Madstad solution.

• Offline Net   gr

• GS Member  ‐    20

Offline Net

• GS Member
    • Ride alone or with us
    • Bike: F850 GS adventure
    • Town / City: Perama
    Reply #66 on: Mar 11, 2022, 04.53 pm
    Mar 11, 2022, 04.53 pm
    Sorry - bike is in storage at the moment.  I can tell you that it solved the problem though (for me at least).

Thanks, if you get it out of the storage and remember it, share some shots.

*Originally Posted by Ziggy [+]
    I posted this earlier... but I had the BMW Touring (large) screen and the BMW two position adjuster... and it worked very well (no buffeting) but it was never quite enough protection for highway riding. I then installed the Madstad screen and at first I felt the BMW setup was better until I changed both the height and angle of the Madstad screen using the Madstad adjustable mount. I now have really clean no buffeting air hitting right at the top of my helmet and conveniently right at the helmet vent (freeway legal and beyond speeds). If I tip my head down just a bit I can hear and feel the wind going over the top of my helmet so I have it perfectly set to hit my helmet vent (really noticeable on a hot day). I think the adjustability is the key and angle is way under rated... for me the angle was the key to clean air. I set the height at the maximum and it was not clean. I lowered the height and changed the angle until it was clean and smooth. I am a very big fan of the Madstad solution.

Madstad's price + shipping + customs comes arround 500Ä to greece so i did that

https://www.850gs.com/index.php/topic,1473.msg10589.html#msg10589

but that i think that something is missing.... :001: :001:

• Offline romerider   it

• GS Newbie  ‐    1

Offline romerider

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850 GS
    • Town / City: Italy Rome
    Reply #67 on: Jun 08, 2022, 04.03 pm
    Jun 08, 2022, 04.03 pm