BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Headsets  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Kalhas

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Edmonton
Re: Headsets
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 10:47:49 PM »
I use a cardo packtalk slim.

After testing i i found that any unit with a2dp and it's own volume controls works fine; i was using my beats X for a while  :046:

Offline KSD

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Toruń
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 01:58:49 PM »
I use Cardo Freecom 4. This is a very good handset, easy to use and giving a lot of possibilities. It's easy to mount on any helmet.

Other models (like Sena, for example) are also good. It is worth to asking friends with whom you will ride together, what handsets do they have. It will be easy to connect with each other. Of course, you can also combine handsets from different manufacturers, but it never works so well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:59:35 PM by KSD »

Offline Anleifr

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Ghent
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »
In the meantime I acquired a Packtalk Slim and it has been working so far in the following setup:
- Phone (Samsung S9Plus) linked to BMW TFT and running the BMW Connected app
- Phone linked to Packtalk Slim Bluetooth slot 1 (you can also run the Cardo app if you want, but not really needed)
I get the following functionality on the TFT: Turn by Turn navigation works as normal, Music features don't work from the wonderwheel,... I use "Hey Card, Music on" to play music, which then does route to the Packtalk as you would expect.

I also tried then pairing the Packtalk Slim as a helmet to the TFT too, this however did not work like I expected it, and it seemed to be interfering more than adding features (only thing it adds is music control through wonder wheel, which is less safe than voice control imho, as your eyes are off the road). Decided on removing that pairing. Have been using setup for a couple of weeks, both short and long rides. I often use Waze for traffic warnings and these sounds also come through, even when not setting a destination.

Happy with my setup now, but I am hoping Cardo improves the "Okay Google" functionality, as that is still very finicky to get anything done... the cardo only opens the mic to the Google Assistant for a very short window. But that is another topic on its own :)

Offline talh

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
After lots of experimentation and frustration, I found that pairing the headset to the phone will usually result in trouble. I use a packtalk slim. My configuration is:

Phone to bike (running BMW Connected)
Cardo to bike

Everything works as expected, including music controls, Nav, phone, etc. The only thing that DOESN'T work is controlling the Cardo from the Cardo phone app. I simply created a short cheat sheet on how to do stuff with buttons (mostly connect my friends via group mesh) so I don't need to use the app anymore.

I also own a Ducati XDiavel S with some similar Bluetooth capabilities, and it works the same way. If I pair the phone to the Cardo, it all falls apart.

So - bottom line - don't pair the phone to the headset.

Offline Anleifr

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Ghent
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 06:03:00 PM »
Does the "Hey Siri" or "Okay Google" thing work when doing it like that? I assume it doesn't...
I do use that often, picking playlists is easy, and my favourite thing to do is ask it "Hey Google, open sesame" after which it opens the automatic gates to our property (something I setup myself, not a std feature of Google), which still feels like witchcraft :D

*Originally Posted by talh [+]
After lots of experimentation and frustration, I found that pairing the headset to the phone will usually result in trouble. I use a packtalk slim. My configuration is:

Phone to bike (running BMW Connected)
Cardo to bike

Everything works as expected, including music controls, Nav, phone, etc. The only thing that DOESN'T work is controlling the Cardo from the Cardo phone app. I simply created a short cheat sheet on how to do stuff with buttons (mostly connect my friends via group mesh) so I don't need to use the app anymore.

I also own a Ducati XDiavel S with some similar Bluetooth capabilities, and it works the same way. If I pair the phone to the Cardo, it all falls apart.

So - bottom line - don't pair the phone to the headset.

Offline talh

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: San Jose, CA
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
Indeed those do not work. I've learned to live without them, since the most I need is to dial a number, which I can do from the wheel.
I also found that voice commands do not work well over 50MPH.

Offline MerMer

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Basel - CH
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 02:13:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kauphee [+]
Cardo Packtalk Bold. Paired the bike to my iPhone and then the bike to the Cardo. I haven't had any issues yet.

Hey,

Do you use the intercom feature on the cardo while connected to the TFT? For instance when riding with a passenger?  I have the freecom4+ but if I am using the intercom feature I cannot hear my navigation from the TFT ( I do not have a BMW GPS) I use my Iphone 8+ for navigation. 

I connected the cardo headsets to the TFT, one as Rider's helmet, the other as passenger's helmet, and my phone as phone on the TFT. Does anyone know if BMW supports an intercom function? I can play music which streams to both headsets directly from the TFT, but once I select the intercom on the headset there is no music or navigation direction (I do not use the BMW connect app gps, I find it does not work very well, google maps works better). 

Thanks