BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: light switching solution.  (Read 1197 times)

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
light switching solution.
« on: April 07, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »
This system may provide a solution for those seeking to add extra switched lighting to their bike.
A relay triggered by the input to the battery from the alternator, activates and de-activates the relay, eliminating the requirement to find a triggering input from elsewhere.
I thought it may prove useful to someone.
Cheap too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Handle-Fog-Light-Control-Smart-Relay-for-BMW-R1200GS-F850GS-F750-Y1X7/233551469238?epid=9037202829&hash=item3660c09ab6:g:4CkAAOSwu6tejCyr
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline Rogert

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Middletown NJ
Re: SMART RELAY Light switching solution.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 11:33:01 PM »
Hi Tomcat.... I just read your old post on the Smart Light Switch Relay.... it isn't available at the URL ebay you posted but it is available in the US ebay.  Do you have any experience with this smart relay?  Is the relay the only device I need or do I also have to purchase the handlebar smart switch.  The ads are confusing since they show wires going to a switch.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Handle-Fog-Light-Switch-Control-smart-relay-For-BMW-R1200GS-R1250GS/324191696561?var=513251126569

Any idea what the steady state (no load, at night) current draw would be?  affect battery a lot?   The link above shows the smart relay but also pixs show the handlebar switch.  I text the seller and asked if both were required/   All I am trying to do is turn my AUX lights ON when I start the bike and OFF when bike is off.

thanks  Roger T

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
Re: light switching solution.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 12:20:46 AM »
Hi
I have used it and then taken it off and replaced it for a simpler system. The link will take you to the page where I took it off and what I replaced it with. If you go back several pages you can find how it put it on.

https://www.850gs.com/index.php/topic,596.msg7434.html#msg7434

For me it worked fine but didnít like certain aspects of its cheapness so replaced it with some thing just as cheep but much much more simpler which uses existing systems to do the work. It has been on for a while now and is set and forget.  The only thing I havenít done is ride at night so havenít had to remember to switch it off but then thatís why I have a lit switch to remind me itís on at night.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:21:17 AM by Tioli »
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Iíd rather be gifted