BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Aux lights wiring  (Read 408 times)

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Abq, NM
Aux lights wiring
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:52:32 AM »
Hey folks! Installing my aux lights along with a Skene dimmer and my fave Fuze block. Haven't dealt with this fancy LED headlamp setup before and having a heck of a time identifying the high beam wiring. Wiring diagram seems nonexistent for this bike.  Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
Re: Aux lights wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 04:43:34 AM »
Due to the CanBus system on these bikes wiring can tricking and cause errors. May want to check out Denali Can Bus adapter or the EZCan adapter, allows for programming and easy addition of accessories.
Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »
Thank you!!! This is what I get for coming out of the dark ages!

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:19:42 AM »
Your welcome, I was having some of the same thoughts when i started looking into the electronics on my new bike.
Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline RadioFlyer

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Pakenham
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
Although popularly cited as such CANbus really has nothing to do with this. The CANbus is a Controller Area Network over which the various controllers on modern vehicles communicate. The real issue here is the presence of one such controller - the ZFE. The ZFE assumed the responsibilities of a number of devices that used to be used and required a good deal of copper wire to interconnect. Gone are relays and fuses. All the chassis electrics source their power from the ZFE. Similarly all the switches have become logical inputs to the ZFE. The ZFE monitors all the circuits it powers. Under current situations may generate a fault code as a burnt out bulb or an open circuit. Over current situations will result in the ZFE cutting power to the circuit in question (rather than popping a fuse in the old days) and generating a fault code indicating a short or similar. It was the simultaneous appearance of such controllers and the CANbus to interconnect them that led to the erroneous reference to CANbus when dealing with chassis electrics. Easily the most misused term in all of vehicle maintenance and accessorizing. Manufacturers and vendors who know better are guilty of popularizing the misuse and making it common parlance.

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »
When I was reviewing the information and specs Of available ZFEs, it seems that they are the equivalent of the Fuzeblock all grown up, on steroids and computer-integrated.

While on one hand it would seem to simplify things by making adding accessories as simple as plug and play, it brings back haunting memories of chasing down the infamous FJR spider bite. Sometimes simpler is better.

Offline RadioFlyer

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Pakenham
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by dot2dot [+]
When I was reviewing the information and specs Of available ZFEs, it seems that they are the equivalent of the Fuzeblock all grown up, on steroids and computer-integrated.

While on one hand it would seem to simplify things by making adding accessories as simple as plug and play, it brings back haunting memories of chasing down the infamous FJR spider bite. Sometimes simpler is better.

I think that you misunderstand. The ZFE is not an aftermarket accessory. The ZFE is the stock control module that BMW uses in the manufacture of the bike. There is but one ZFE. Adding aftermarket accessories requires that one consider how the ZFE may react if you tap into existing circuits. Essentially there are two approaches to adding accessories while avoiding possible intervention by the ZFE. Add a fuse block or add a more sophisticated intelligent electronic device that may be able to creatively accept or interpret signals on the bike's network(s). Both source power direct from the battery and supply it to the accessories.

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
Ahhhh   got it. I appreciate the clarification.