BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hey!! Greetings from NM  (Read 398 times)

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Abq, NM
Hey!! Greetings from NM
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:47:50 AM »
Hi folks! I stumbled on this forum and looks like a great place for info and like-minded riders. Just switched from an 09 R1200GSA to a 20 F850 GSA. LOVING it so far but of course, one week in, it's time to farkle. Headed on over to electrics! See you there!

Online Camphouse

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GS
Re: Hey!! Greetings from NM
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 01:32:46 AM »
Welcome!  Just curious, but what made you go from a 1200 to the 850?

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 01:54:22 AM »
The 1200 is amazing when I'm doing long distance riding but it was a beast. I was on tip-toes on a good day and taking it on a gravel road was always a sphincter tightening moment when I hit sand. This is a much better fit for me. :)

Online Camphouse

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GS
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:06:40 AM »
Ah, ok thanks.  I'm quite happy with my 850 so far, but initially was feeling as though a 1250 might have been a better move.  However, now that I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable taking it off pavement, I've began to have second thoughts of getting anything much bigger. 

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 04:31:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 01:44:40 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I am glad you are enjoying the bike as it is lighter than the big GS.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline MikeOC

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 07:50:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by dot2dot [+]
Hi folks! I stumbled on this forum and looks like a great place for info and like-minded riders. Just switched from an 09 R1200GSA to a 20 F850 GSA. LOVING it so far but of course, one week in, it's time to farkle. Headed on over to electrics! See you there!

Dot2dot -I can relate that you went from your R1200GSA to the F850GSA. Prior to my 2020 F750GS (BTW, I ride 99% on the streets/ no 2-up) I  had a 09 R12GS and 2016 S1000XR, and I enjoyed both for different reasons.

What I like about these new F-GS’s (I can only speak for myself) is that they are more “fun”, accessible, lighter weight and less serious (if you will), also easier to clean/ maintain. However, I find that they provide very similar solidness/ stability to that of my previous R12GS & S1000XR, but in a slightly smaller package, which better fits my 6’ tall 32” inseam.

In closing, each BMW motorcycle model offers a different riding experience to suit one’s personal needs and wants, but  “for me” the F/GS’s are the best “overall” tool/ weapon of choice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:52:31 AM by MikeOC »

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by MikeOC [+]
but  “for me” the F/GS’s are the best “overall” tool/ weapon of choice.

I have come from different makes, having test rode many as I was going to change soon,   I never intended to get the F850GS but a BMW taster day saw me take the F850GS after trying the R1200GS out and it immediately struck me as my bike of choice. The rest is history.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline dot2dot

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
I can't agree with you both more. At 5'8" with a 30" inseam, this is such an amazing fit. If I dare say, the ride is almost a blend of when I had my Triumph Tiger 800 and my FJR. The perfect combo of, "let's go play on a fire road" and "let's go play in some twisties." I'm soooooo looking forward to breaking in this bike.

As far as maintenance goes, I did all of my own on my R1200 for two reasons - I like to know my bike that well and the dealer charges astronomical fees to do it for me. That being said, no service manual out yet? Eek.

Offline MikeOC

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »
Oldplodder & dot2dot

IMO, below best sums-up the new/ all versions of the 850 F-GS, which comes from a  review from RoadCarver (Australian Motorcycle Reviews) which was for the F-GS 750 but IMO, and again it equally applies to the 850 & 850GSA versions.

The final verdict on the BMW f 750 gs
At the end of the day, I was left with a lot of admiration for the BMW f 750 gs. I didn’t expect it to be so swift and entertaining. F series BMWs in the past to me were a synonym for “useful, reliable and boring”.

Not any more- fun is back at the top of the menu. Also worth a mention is that while it feels super nimble and light to ride, the bike feels substantial.

Once in a while a model comes along that delivers something special and surprises - the BMW F750 GS is exactly that.I was so smitten by this mid-weight beemer I ordered one.

Who will like it?
Anyone who wants a fun, practical bike and like tech and convenience.
This bike is great in the city, canyon rides and even touring

Who won't like it:
•   Soy latte sipping hipsters. This bike is neither retro or made of coconut husks. Hipsters aside, even you just like classic motorcycles, this isn't is.
•   Die-hard supersport rocketship riders. The f BMW 750 gs is swift but certainly not a contender for a showdown with the s1000rr on a racetrack. In real-world back road bends the f 750 gs would keep up no sweat.
•   Viking-Stature Giants may find this bike a bit small - which is why BMW makes the 1200GS Adventure tank. Myself at average 178cm find it perfect.