BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Steve's Adventure into Motorcycling & Modifications  (Read 2433 times)

Wheelriding and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Tasmania
Re: Steve's Adventure into Motorcycling & Modifications
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 02:23:56 AM »
Yes I can see your problem with the angle. The last thing you want is to be always holding your feet in from slipping out. Tap a 6mm bolt in the end so when it's out it sits on the bolt head and does not fully flatten. With the right bolt head and spacers if needed the weight is not supported by the thread. Just transferred through the head could even file the head on a angle.

I like the tennis ball I have done the same and it works while needed.

Offline DimSum07

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GSA
  • Town / City: Annandale, VA
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 12:36:57 AM »
Added a MotoJug to the bike!

https://www.motojug.com/

Installation is a piece of cake.  I don't want to wear a separate hydration pack and I found putting a pack into my Triumph jacket would usually end up with body temperature water after a couple hours.  This simple insulated jug means cold water all day in a container that's easy to re-fill and clean.

I never ride with a passenger..so it works well for me.
-Steve
2019 F850GSA Rallye

Offline DimSum07

• GS Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 12:37:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tioli [+]

I like the tennis ball I have done the same and it works while needed.

When you watch my wife try parking in the garage, you quickly understand the need for that tennis ball!   :087:

That being said, I like it too because it does take guessing out of the mix!
-Steve
2019 F850GSA Rallye

Offline DimSum07

• GS Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 01:49:12 AM »
Ordered an SW Motech Aluminum Skid Plate for the bike. 

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-skid-plate-engine-guard-for-bmw-f850gs-adventure-19

Beware, F850GS plate will not fit this bike.  You need to order the part for a GS Adventure because the other plate won't clear the stock engine guards.

That's what the kit comes with.  Very easy install...maybe 30 minutes tops if you're taking your time.

Results

Also Ordered a Russell Day Long Seat
I found the low seat to be terrible for me knees and back.  I'm likely too tall for that seat, but I'm a beginner and wanted to flat foot the bike for learning.  Would I do that today, nah, but I needed it when I bought the bike. 

I also purchased the BMW comfort seat off of a forum member to have as a spare seat while mine was at the shop.  Took about 3 weeks turn around to get the work done when my order number was up, but keep in mind this is a 3 month or more process from placing your order to seat being done.

You don't pay for the seat until its complete.  I'm a function over form kind of guy.  Its not a pretty seat, but I'm way more comfortable on this bike now than I ever was before or on the my old Spyder F3.

Comfort Seat

Russell Day Long in Vinyl

I need to get a better photo at a greater distance. 
-Steve
2019 F850GSA Rallye

Offline lkyphl

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 02:42:57 AM »
I ordered and received one of the SW Motech sump guards for my GS and promptly returned it, because I reckon it and the mounting brackets weighed 5 kg  :155:
It was certainly well made, though.

Phil

Offline DimSum07

• GS Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 02:49:30 AM »
It's definitely not light, that's for sure.  I bought the protection because I've already had a semi truck tire blow out a lane next to me and I didn't have the reaction time to avoid it. 

I'm not a skilled enough rider to ride this thing off road.  The weight is not a concern b/c I've got plenty of other heavy gear attached / packed in the bike.  I imagine that weight would be a lot more important off road.
-Steve
2019 F850GSA Rallye

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Tasmania
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2020, 02:09:42 AM »
Wow thatís a serious seat.

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2020, 10:47:02 PM »
Liking the seat! Looks good for touring. How much better is it compared to the standard comfort seat?

Offline DimSum07

• GS Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 03:16:36 AM »
How much better?  That's a tough question.  I can say that I've done a couple 2 hour rides on the bike and felt just as good at the end of the two hours as when I started. 

The Low seat was a 45 minute ride and the comfort seat was about an hour to 1 hour 15 minutes before I was wiggling, using highway pegs, standing, or just getting off the bike for a walk.

I need to take a longer ride, but that will take some planning on my part.  Corona Virus, working from home and daycare issues make for a busier house than before...
-Steve
2019 F850GSA Rallye