BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fork solution  (Read 4491 times)

Offline EThor

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Adv Rallye X
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Re: Fork solution
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 02:30:43 AM »
I did go for the Tractive fork upgrade and agree with you guys about the change of the front end characteristic, great improvement. I went through the order process based on weight and usage to get the right kit and did the installation myself.

What I would like to add to this discussion, what worked for me, if you are doing this yourself (get the oil level right). The way I work on the settings is to set the rebound "Hexagon" in the center/middle (12 clicks) and the compression/preload (wrench) on softest (counterclockwise), and put a cable tie on the fork leg. Do your riding in the city or your normal everyday ride, if the cable tie is pushed all the way to the bottom, give the compression setting one turn (two clicks clockwise) and push the cable tie back up the fork (mark the settings on the clickers with a marker).
Work on this until the cable tie does not end up closer than 1 inch (25mm) from the bottom of the fork (that's ideal), this can be work in progress. When going on the big ride with luggage take it from your prefer setting and do the same thing and you will end up with two settings "city, normal load riding" and then add X clicks for "heavy load riding" when traveling. After that you can play with the "Rebound Setting" using the hexagon screw.

The TT Suspension Cartridge Manual can be confusing when it comes to the settings, as it is one Manual for all, it's the same Manual for two forks kits.

Use the mounting instruction from Touratech, it's actually the same product.

Note: The kit in the picture also comes with 1 liter of fork-oil

Just saying, worked for me     

« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 03:03:27 AM by EThor »
2019 BMW F850GS Adventure Rallye X, 2021 Husqvarna FX350, 1999 Husqvarna TE610E.

Offline knutk

• GS Member
  • Town / City: South in Norway
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 09:52:21 PM »
If I'm not much mistaken, Touratech also offer replacement cartridges for the 850, and these are manufactured by Tractive.

However, while Tractive on their webpage suggest the users to use one fork-leg for compression and the other one for rebound, Touratech sell their cartridge as a right-leg cartridge only, leaving the left leg with the OEM setup.

Anyone with TT cartridge experience?

Offline seldredg

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2021 BMW F850 GSA
  • Town / City: La Honda, CA
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 01:18:45 AM »
For the 850 the cartridge is one side only and the control is labeled simply DAMP, Not REB and COM as the manual shows.  Adjusting the setting changes both compression and rebound damping at the same time in a balanced way, as  described to me by support, and not described at all in the manual, which documents only the two cartridge setup. if you ask the factory about this, they will refer you to your local dealer for the answer. I haven't had mine long enough to know how the adjustment s affect damping. I just got mine and am still riding the as delivered setup to get a feel for it.
Ride aware.

Offline EThor

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Adv Rallye X
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 01:56:03 AM »
To my knowledge after the process installing the cartridge, keeping it simple. In the kit you get a spring, rated close to your needs in weight/usage, in addition to that you get plastic "shims/washers" on top of the spring for fine tuning towards your preferred weight, see my prior picture of the kit. Turning the compression (wrench) clockwise you add pressure on the washers/spring, building up compression on the spring/suspension. The "preload" setting is then to control the speed of the suspension, compress and decompress, how fast it reacts both ways (oil flow). I'm no suspension expert but I do like to get the settings right on my bikes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 02:04:35 AM by EThor »
2019 BMW F850GS Adventure Rallye X, 2021 Husqvarna FX350, 1999 Husqvarna TE610E.

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
What I find confusing is that TT offers one leg cartridge only (And the OEM damper is also in the right  fork leg only).

However, if I understand correctly, the TT cartridge is a Tractive product.

Reading Tractives webpage:
https://tractivesuspension.com/shop/motorcycle/bmw/f850-gs-adv-2019-bmw/x-treme-one-leg-2/

Their header suggest using only one cartridge.

But then, reading their text, they say:

Quote:

In the header:
"Superior closed cartridges with manual compression damping, rebound damping and preload adjustment"

In the description below:
"The damping can be easily adjusted with 18 clicks using the cover caps on the top of the fork legs. The adjustments are separate, meaning that the left fork leg is used for compression damping adjustment, and the right fork leg contains the rebound damping adjustment. In both legs the preload can be adjusted over 12 mm."

Is this merely a copy/past text, added by the web designer, or does it describe the cartridge for the 850?
Does anyone actually have a 2 cartridge solution installed?

Offline seldredg

• GS Member
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 05:34:13 PM »
I believe tractive simply does not document the single cartridge system. Only the dual cartridge.
Ride aware.

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by EThor [+]
To my knowledge after the process installing the cartridge, keeping it simple. In the kit you get a spring, rated close to your needs in weight/usage, in addition to that you get plastic "shims/washers" on top of the spring for fine tuning towards your preferred weight, see my prior picture of the kit. Turning the compression (wrench) clockwise you add pressure on the washers/spring, building up compression on the spring/suspension. The "preload" setting is then to control the speed of the suspension, compress and decompress, how fast it reacts both ways (oil flow). I'm no suspension expert but I do like to get the settings right on my bikes.

Reading the manuals at the Tractive/TT websites, they keep mentioning adjustability for Preload, Compression and Rebound. If I knew nothing better, it seems like the manuals suggest Preload = Largest Hex nut, Compression, Smaller nut and Rebound the tiny Hex in the center of the two larger nuts.
But from the description above, this is not the case? The small Hex (Umbraco) does not have an adjustment function?

I guess I'm making it too complicated. Sometimes I have to let it all go and just ride the damn thing. It also puzzles me if Tractive offer a new spring for a heavier weight and offers this spring in one of the forks only. But again, the Tractive guys seems to know what they are doing, so it's probably all in my head  :087:

Offline seldredg

• GS Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 02:41:17 AM »
It looks like there are three things that can be adjusted--the large hex nut, the small hex in the center, and the orange dial. The orange dial doesn't move. There are only two adjustment. This product is not documented by tractive.
Ride aware.

Offline knutk

• GS Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by seldredg [+]
It looks like there are three things that can be adjusted--the large hex nut, the small hex in the center, and the orange dial. The orange dial doesn't move. There are only two adjustment. This product is not documented by tractive.

Thank you for clearing the fog  :001:  :062:

TT and Tractive are both respected companies. However, their information regarding their products seems to be lacking.