Author Topic: Fork solution  (Read 9204 times)

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline KER

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA
    • Town / City: MURRIETA
    Re: Fork solution
    Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2022, 12.33 am
    Jan 07, 2022, 12.33 am
    Some early feedback.  I weigh around 225lbs and ride with Lonerider Moto bags and the OEM top pannier. The three spacers on top  gives me a bit more adjustability.  On the road, the TT cartridge eliminates the extreme dive I was experiencing when braking or just turning off cruse control.  Today, I was following a 1200 GSA that my buddy was riding very aggressive.  Prior to the install, I was unable to keep up on the same road.  The 850's front end would drop under heavy braking in corners and feel unsettled.  Now, I don't have any concern, the bike feels more level and stable cornering.  I think the 1200 still handles better, but I was able to stay with him, now.

Off road, prior to the install, the dive issue was really unsettling.  I found it unpredictable when hitting ruts, bouncy, probably under sprung.  Coming to a hard stop was a fun balancing act due to the front end rebound.  Now, its more stable, level, with the correct amount of rebound and fitted spring weight.  Its still not a dirt bike, however, handles the 850's weight better.  I took a washboard service road home, after today's ride, and was surprised to get though it in half the normal time.  No longer did I hear the suspension make crashing sounds from bottoming out.  I don't think I will be outperforming any KTM's, however, I will not be holding my breath when I hit more technical trails.  I hope this helps a little.

• Offline Mtbikergt78   us

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Member
    • Bike: 850 gsa rallye
    • Town / City: Colorado Springs
    Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2022, 12.50 am
    Jan 07, 2022, 12.50 am
    *Originally Posted by KER [+]
    Some early feedback.  I weigh around 225lbs and ride with Lonerider Moto bags and the OEM top pannier. The three spacers on top  gives me a bit more adjustability.  On the road, the TT cartridge eliminates the extreme dive I was experiencing when braking or just turning off cruse control.  Today, I was following a 1200 GSA that my buddy was riding very aggressive.  Prior to the install, I was unable to keep up on the same road.  The 850's front end would drop under heavy braking in corners and feel unsettled.  Now, I don't have any concern, the bike feels more level and stable cornering.  I think the 1200 still handles better, but I was able to stay with him, now.

Off road, prior to the install, the dive issue was really unsettling.  I found it unpredictable when hitting ruts, bouncy, probably under sprung.  Coming to a hard stop was a fun balancing act due to the front end rebound.  Now, its more stable, level, with the correct amount of rebound and fitted spring weight.  Its still not a dirt bike, however, handles the 850's weight better.  I took a washboard service road home, after today's ride, and was surprised to get though it in half the normal time.  No longer did I hear the suspension make crashing sounds from bottoming out.  I don't think I will be outperforming any KTM's, however, I will not be holding my breath when I hit more technical trails.  I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the feedback,  I have 19,000 on my 850gsa now and mostly offroad BDR/TAT sort of stuff with weight on it.  Stock form was way to soft for me, i like the front end to sit up higher in the stroke and the brake diving is annoying in stock form.  Look forward to tweaking this thing and really look forward to see the difference it makes. 

Rich 

@richjones55 instagram.

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Member
    Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06.49 pm
    Jan 14, 2022, 06.49 pm
    Just a quick update, no sooner I got the tractive in the mail wife and I went down from Covid.  All good now was mild cases.  Anyways got the bike back from shop today and first impression was what bike am I riding?  Huge demeanor change in the front end, matter of fact drove back to shop with big grin and told them the front end is surgical precision now.
      Iíve messed about in the garage with pre load to get in the ball park of proper sag.  Also have 4 clicks of dampening dialed in and truthfully havenít noticed what the dampening adjust really changesÖ.
      Snow is blowing in currently in Colorado so maybe some time this weekend Iíll get out to some dirt with weight on the bike and see a true test for how I use the bike.  On the road riding back from shop really impressed and this is how the bike should be off the showroom floor.
      Iíll update more as I go, also I had all 3 spacers installed under top cap, at least I hope thatís the case shop did it..  currently at 7 full rotations on the preload nut and just under 30 percent sag with me on it without gear and luggage. 

Dumb question but can you just take the top cap off to change and check the spacers without having to mess with oil again?

• Offline MCMXCIVRS   ca

• GS Pro  ‐    116

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: CALGARY
    Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2022, 03.46 pm
    Jan 15, 2022, 03.46 pm
    Yes, you should be able to remove the cap to check or change the spacers without needing to deal with the oil level. Just be careful not to allow oil to spill out as you do it. It would be easiest to remove the fork from the bike, but should be possible in the bike as well. You would have to release the top pinch bolt on the upper triple clamp to allow the cap to be removed and it might be easier to do if the bars are removed to give room to raise the cap high enough to access the retainer nut and/or  see the shims.

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Member
    Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2022, 09.28 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 09.28 pm
    Ok got a little dirt time in today on the Fork with the tractive extreme cartridge.  Man what a difference,  the composure of the bike is so much better, sits up higher in the stroke and really tackles the steep rocky uphills and down hills much better.  The graded chatter in the dirt roads are nothing now.  Crazy how an upgrade like this really makes the bike talk to you much differently. 
     100 percent can recommend this product and get it from Beemershop,  Ted has been super helpful and loves to suspension nerd out with you explaining the ins and outs of this cartridge.  The GSA 850 is an awesome bike love it, but before you could feel how that rear shock out performed the front end all the time,  Now I honestly have to say the front end is Out performing the rear.  More dirt time will answer that for me.  Ok If all goes to plan February will be South Cali BDR time.

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline KER

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA
    • Town / City: MURRIETA
    Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2022, 10.59 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 10.59 pm
    Your experience with Ted, the install and the great outcome is very similar to mine.  You have a lot more miles of experience than I have on this model.  I really liked the bike, but was not convinced that it was a keeper, due to the suspension.  Now, that I have installed the TT, it has dramatically changed my GSA's long time prospects.  Unfortunately, I have a minor issue with the motor cutting out when climbing steep roads.  I posted it under Service (KER), could you please take a look and let me know what you think it could be?

• Offline gmayan   ca

• GS Junior Member  ‐    3

Offline gmayan

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: Winnipeg MB
    Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03.09 pm
    Jan 17, 2022, 03.09 pm
    I got my Tracive kit a couple of weeks ago from Beemershop as well, I can say that Ted was very helpful and supportive, pre/post sale, great experience overall, installation was fairly straight forward. I had to change fork seals at the same time and got the matching cap end for the left leg. Now waiting for temperature to be above freezing for a test ride... likely late March here in Canada, will post about my experience then.

Left Leg OEM

Right Leg OEM