Author Topic: Fork solution  (Read 9208 times)

• Offline gmayan   ca

• GS Junior Member  ‐    3

Offline gmayan

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: Winnipeg MB
    Re: Fork solution
    Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2021, 03.34 pm
    Nov 24, 2021, 03.34 pm
    I'm looking to upgrade the front suspension on my F850 GS... 2019... and was looking in forums and review site how the two products that I found compare

One is the Touratech/ Tractive kit... one leg... about $900... the other is an Andreani kit, both legs about $550.

https://tractivesuspension.com/shop/motorcycle/bmw/f850-gs-2018-bmw/x-treme-one-leg/

https://motowheels.com/i-23902558-andreani-group-cartridge-kit-adjustable-compression-rebound-preload-bmw-f850gs.html

Anybody has any information on how they compare? whether the price difference reflects quality difference or features?

Thanks  :821:

• Offline RWA-Idaho   us

• GS Member  ‐    27

Offline RWA-Idaho

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA / F750 GS
    • Town / City: Sweet
    Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2021, 03.51 pm
    Nov 24, 2021, 03.51 pm
     :047:  I have been using a TracTive system in my 2019 F850GSA for well over a year and 6000 miles of road and forest service roads and could not be happier with how well it works, but it is nice to know that another company is providing an option.  Your post was the first time I had heard of the  Andreani System.  I look forward to hearing about how well it works.
    Rob Adams

• Offline MCMXCIVRS   ca

• GS Pro  ‐    116

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: CALGARY
    Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2021, 11.45 pm
    Nov 26, 2021, 11.45 pm
    Just completed my install finally. Altogether around three hours including replacing both fork seals. Not too bad. I ended up going with two of the plastic top spacers and probably could have gone for all three. I pretty much maxed out the preload adjuster nut and am at the perfect 20% base sag and 30 % with rider.  If I feel ambitious later, I may toss the third spacer in just to give me some range of adjustment. I also opted to go with the higher 60mm oil level.

Now to do the test ride.

• Offline gmayan   ca

• GS Junior Member  ‐    3

Offline gmayan

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: Winnipeg MB
    Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2021, 04.56 pm
    Nov 27, 2021, 04.56 pm
    I just put my order for the Tractive system... Andreani cartridge is an option in between the stock suspension and the Tractive/TT option, quality and features wise. Piston size and characteristics reflect on the price difference. Thank you all for sharing info here, looking forward to here about road test and installation experiences. Cheers!

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    302

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 850 GS
    • Town / City: Bellingham
    Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11.47 am
    Dec 06, 2021, 11.47 am
    *Originally Posted by Mtbikergt78 [+]
    I am considering getting the TT cartridge also, did the dealer have the springs for the heavier weight?  I am also 200+

I think TT also sells a spring kit for it but forgot.

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    302

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2021, 12.08 pm
    Dec 06, 2021, 12.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by RWA-Idaho [+]
    :047:  I have been using a TracTive system in my 2019 F850GSA for well over a year and 6000 miles of road and forest service roads and could not be happier with how well it works, but it is nice to know that another company is providing an option.  Your post was the first time I had heard of the  Andreani System.  I look forward to hearing about how well it works.

I've asked about Andreani before in FB group and the feedback was IIRC, it works but not as good as Tractive.

• Offline MCMXCIVRS   ca

• GS Pro  ‐    116

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: CALGARY
    Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2021, 02.08 pm
    Dec 07, 2021, 02.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by Newguy [+]
    I think TT also sells a spring kit for it but forgot.

The TT spring kit is for use with the original cartridge and I don't think it would work with the Tractive cartridge. You could still change just the left spring and use the Tractive one in the right, but according to Ted Porter, the Tractive spring is selected to match the indicated weight for the rider with keeping the stock left spring.

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    302

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2021, 02.49 pm
    Dec 07, 2021, 02.49 pm
    I'd considered swapping both at one point. I hadn't noticed Porter had updated his inventory until I checked recently.

• Offline Mtbikergt78   us

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Member
    • Bike: 850 gsa rallye
    • Town / City: Colorado Springs
    Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2022, 03.47 pm
    Jan 06, 2022, 03.47 pm
    My tractive cartridge should arrive today and bike goes into shop tomorrow for a second fork seal replacement warranty is taking care of.  Look forward to this cartridge as the front fork performance is the one thing I donít like about the bike.  Iíll attempt to do a review and eventually post on here.  But in the 5 meter target realm Iíll post my thoughts on first ride and first dirt experience with it.

• Offline Mtbikergt78   us

• GS Member  ‐    14

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Member
    • Bike: 850 gsa rallye
    • Town / City: Colorado Springs
    Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2022, 11.37 pm
    Jan 06, 2022, 11.37 pm
    Kit arrived super stoked.

Rider weight with kit. 220lbs

Full luggage weight including
    Mosko bags. 82lbs

Thinking 3 top spacers as Iíll be hitting hard fully loaded and rather have the preload adjuster not maxed and not having to use compression damping to achieve proper sag. 
      Iíll post my thoughts after tomorrow install.  Any tidbits from those who have off-road mileage on it love to hear them.
    Thanks
    Last Edit: Jan 06, 2022, 11.38 pm by Mtbikergt78

better